GDT: Game 6 - Coyotes @ Blackhawks 7:30 PM (CT) NBCSCH - Heeeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaack...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
People still trying to piece together some magic line combos and defensive pairings like it is going to make some big difference.

News flash, its not the line combos and pairings. This idiot coach has tried damn near every mathematical combo possible the last few years. The issue is not who is playing with who, its who is playing. The talent level and depth on this team is nowhere near good enough. When a small percentage of your players are aging and taking up a large percentage of your cap and you have to fill the remaining spots with low level talent and guys who aren't shaving yet this is what you get.

We are paying for winning 3 cups, the resulting annual cap dumps, and also paying for some pretty lousy decisions by management. Then you add a coach who is 2 years past his expiry date and you have what we have now.
Well ... the Cat - Toews - Kahun line is pretty good. :) The Panarin - Anisimov - Kane 2nd line would look so good right now.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Maybe he's making a point to management, that he can't bring in ANY kind of depth or insurance, because Q is going to misuse them. Mission accomplished.

They absolutely should be blamed on Q, because HE DECIDES THE LINEUP. If a parent buys a kid a baseball bat, do you blame the parent if the kid smashes a car window with it, or blame the kid for using the bat in a way his parent never intended?

You are ridiculous.
Pretty silly to try and make a point when his job is and should be on the line as well. There is plenty of depth to choose from without bringing in a 40 year old on his last leg. Q has to make a lineup regardless of who he has, so why bring in old vet players with nothing left that you know Q will overuse? If it's to "prove a point", then Bowman deserves to go, and deserves just as much of the blame. Bring in younger guys, don't sign any terrible options like Martinsen, and Kunitz. Pretty easy solution.

As for your analogy, yes the parents should be blamed if they bought their kid a bat knowing he would go out and smash a car with it.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Pretty silly to try and make a point when his job is and should be on the line as well. There is plenty of depth to choose from without bringing in a 40 year old on his last leg. Q has to make a lineup regardless of who he has, so why bring in old vet players with nothing left that you know Q will overuse? If it's to "prove a point", then Bowman deserves to go, and deserves just as much of the blame. Bring in younger guys, don't sign any terrible options like Martinsen, and Kunitz. Pretty easy solution.

As for your analogy, yes the parents should be blamed if they bought their kid a bat knowing he would go out and smash a car with it.
I don't know if Bowman deserves to go ... but the buck stops with him unless McDonough pushed it. If that's the case, most capable managers would resign if they are not allowed some latitude of autonomy and used as a scapegoat.

Quenville's contract ends in 2019-2020. Without significant improvement, he's most likely gone in the summer. Bowman will probably be afforded another chance to pick HIS coach. I don't think Bowman is going anywhere anytime soon. He's made some good draft picks and European FA signings. That said, he deserves criticism for his major msses in free agency and the Panarin trade.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

:laugh:

Yeah, we are done here. Logic escapes you.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
:laugh:

Yeah, we are done here. Logic escapes you.
Logic makes complete sense here.
Kid has smashed cars previously with a bat, parents go buy the kid another bat, kid smashes another car with the new bat.
Q overuses old vets on their last leg, Bowman goes and gets another vet on his last leg, Q overuses vet on his last leg.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Manning said he talked to Q before he ever signed.
And Kunitz said talking to Q is actually what won him over. And considering he hasnt ever been bounced out of the top 9, it’s not hard to see why.

I don’t remember any of our other UFA signings talking about the impact that Q made on their decision. It’s clear he was very involved in these signings.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bottom line, Stan is responsible for who's on the team and Q's responsible for how much and if they play. Stan signed Manning, Q plays Manning. Blame accordingly.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think we need a lineup that addresses the following issues:

-Cat and Captain have to stay together
-Kane and Schmaltz have to be separated
-Schmaltz can't play center
-We need Sikura for more scoring depth
-Kunitz can't touch the top 9
-Get Hayden off the 4th line
-Fortin needs to be in Rockford

DeBrincat-Toews-Kane
Schmaltz-Kahun-Sikura
Hayden-Anisimov-Saad
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

Alternatively the top 6 could be:
DeBrincat-Toews-Schmaltz
Sikura-Kahun-Kane

If Kunitz still can't handle a 4th line role, replace him with Tyler Sikura or Highmore.

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I love how people keep slotting Sikura into the lineup. At least watch him in Rockford first. Two home games this past weekend and he looked just like another Fortin or Highmore. It's early in the season, so I'm not saying he isn't good by any means. He just isn't ready. So.... I'd call up Highmore first.

Reactions: Fortyfives and pvr

Crow

May 19, 2014
This team is going to ride on CC again. He was very good. He is going to steal games.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Gus and his horrid turnovers really need to be discussed more.
He reminds me of McNeill in his last season with the Hogs. Kept putting up points just because he was out on the ice but made every boneheaded play. Gus is not an NHL player.

Crow

May 19, 2014
He reminds me of McNeill in his last season with the Hogs. Kept putting up points just because he was out on the ice but made every boneheaded play. Gus is not an NHL player.
He won’t be when others come back anyway. Good offensive player though. Shame he sucks so much at his #1 priority.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I love how people keep slotting Sikura into the lineup. At least watch him in Rockford first. Two home games this past weekend and he looked just like another Fortin or Highmore. It's early in the season, so I'm not saying he isn't good by any means. He just isn't ready. So.... I'd call up Highmore first.
I know it's only been a few games but: How is Sikura holding up to the physicality in RFD? Does his defensive game look weak (it did when he was here and he also looked pretty scrawny to me)?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Fire them both?
problem is with Q this contract goes until ?? and at what cost ??

the Bhawks have shown last yr they will not fire Q......

now SB, i am still on the fire pov for him. despite his gift for scouting.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Actually, Gus probably had one of his better games as a Blackhawk last night. He was one of the few who showed up. But I agree that this team cannot tolerate those bad giveaways virtually every period in most games. If he doesn't clean it up soon, he's destined to be a career AHLer (if he stays in this org).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Gus is a third pairing guy playing a middle pairing role due to injuries and lack of depth. He isn't great, but he's providing some offense from the back end and his defense is about on par with the black hole that is Manning (and Gus was better defensively last night as evidenced by how each played their 2-on-1).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Your judgement is clouded. Did you even watch the game last night? Because there's no way you could, and claim Gus is not an NHL player.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That's Gus' issue. If he can limit his brain farts, he'd actually be a decent NHL player. Any chance the light clicks on?

That said, Gus played well last night. It's all about limiting mistakes with Gus.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No reason to watch the Rock when we have you. I will scratch Sikura off the list until you tell us he's ready.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
problem is with Q this contract goes until ?? and at what cost ??

the Bhawks have shown last yr they will not fire Q......

now SB, i am still on the fire pov for him. despite his gift for scouting.
It goes to June 2020 at $6.5mn per I believe. Rocky can afford to cut Q a thank you for the 3 Cups $6.5mn severance check next year.

The Wirtz are loyal, especially to the front office guys. Rocky will give Bowman his chance to right the ship and hire a new coach before he moves on. Stan should get another 2 years.

Reactions: LDF and BK

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Gus is a third pairing guy playing a middle pairing role due to injuries and lack of depth. He isn't great, but he's providing some offense from the back end and his defense is about on par with the black hole that is Manning (and Gus was better defensively last night as evidenced by how each played their 2-on-1).
I just rewatched that 2 on 1 goal a few times and good lord Manning could not have played that any worse if he tried. As soon as he took his stick out of the passing lane Keller zipped it across. Manning diddnt do anything to take away the shot or pass, he actually just moved his stick out of the lane to make it easier for Keller.

I know Fiddy likes to joke about the maniquens but I seriously think if you stick a manniquen out their with his stick down he does a better job of defending that.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Your judgement is clouded. Did you even watch the game last night? Because there's no way you could, and claim Gus is not an NHL player.

It's one game. She has seen Gus play many times. I think those that think Gus is a good Dman at this point in his career are the ones with clouded judgement.

The question remains: can Gus clean up those gaffes? I have my doubts.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Anyway back to last nights game: What a discouraging display by the Blackhawks. As I said in the thread, reminded me of last year in many ways. This is why I am not a CI subscriber this year. I watch the games on my 17 inch laptop instead of a 65 inch TV as in previous seasons. Hopefully last night was not a sign of things to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad