GDT: Game 6 - Coyotes @ Blackhawks 7:30 PM (CT) NBCSCH - Heeeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaack...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It goes to June 2020 at $6.5mn per I believe. Rocky can afford to cut Q a thank you for the 3 Cups $6.5mn severance check next year.

The Wirtz are loyal, especially to the front office guys. Rocky will give Bowman his chance to right the ship and hire a new coach before he moves on. Stan should get another 2 years.
one yr of 6.5 mil, i can see the Bhawks org eating it. but still...... it will be hard to swallow. :naughty:

SB is on the warning point from the old Bickel snafu. i am wondering if Rocky still has him on that warning. SB needs to go.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
one yr of 6.5 mil, i can see the Bhawks org eating it. but still...... it will be hard to swallow. :naughty:

SB is on the warning point from the old Bickel snafu. i am wondering if Rocky still has him on that warning. SB needs to go.
Rocky still respects Scotty. Stan will have a longer leash.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Anyway back to last nights game: What a discouraging display by the Blackhawks. As I said in the thread, reminded me of last year in many ways. This is why I am not a CI subscriber this year. I watch the games on my 17 inch laptop instead of a 65 inch TV as in previous seasons. Hopefully last night was not a sign of things to come.
Same with me, did not splurge for CI either this year. Made that decision when they kept Q. Just watching when I can now

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's one game. She has seen Gus play many times. I think those that think Gus is a good Dman at this point in his career are the ones with clouded judgement.

The question remains: can Gus clean up those gaffes? I have my doubts.

I think you need to get the preconceived notions of what a "defenseman" is, out of your heads. Because Gus fits the mold of the modern defenseman pretty damn well. If he eliminated the "gaffes" he makes, he would easily be a second pairing guy, with the skill he has.

For all the "gaffes" he makes, he's never been a minus player in the NHL. He is actually +15 in his career. Six goals for, three goals against this season. His possession numbers are damn good, and consistent, throughout his career. His zone starts slightly favor the offensive zone(58:42).

I quite honestly have no idea what you're watching. He is making things happen offensively when he's on the ice, which is an absolute MUST from defensemen in the NHL today. His "gaffes" aren't ending up in the net, and they don't seem to be impacting the Hawks' possession numbers much....either. He's a risk taker, sure. But most of the time, those risks work out just fine. Pretty much every playoff team in the league has a guy just like Gus playing a pretty significant role on the team.

But what do I know. He sucks. Send him to the AHL, maybe even the ECHL.

Oh, and he should be on the PP EVERY SINGLE GAME. Maybe even the 1st PP unit... It is one of his biggest strengths, and it has hardly been utilized at all.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Gus is a 3rd pairing guy just like Rutta.

We need Forsling and Murphy back ASAP.

What makes you think Murphy is any better than Rutta? He played like a bottom pairing guy for the Hawks all of last year and he wasn’t that great with the Yotes either, why will he be any different this year? Please don’t mention his little hand full of games stint in the WC, I mean actual NHL.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What makes you think Murphy is any better than Rutta? He played like a bottom pairing guy for the Hawks all of last year and he wasn’t that great with the Yotes either, why will he be any different this year? Please don’t mention his little hand full of games stint in the WC, I mean actual NHL.

Except for the fact he played like a #4D the last 2/3 of the season. If you dig into his numbers with AZ he was a #4 their as well his last season.

Ignoring the WC is foolish.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Yes, the jury is still out for Rutta. He hasn't played enough games to say one way or the other, in my view - speculation has it that he is playing hurt or hasn't completely recovered from a groin injury and those can last quite a while and are easily aggravated; been there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, the jury is still out for Rutta. He hasn't played enough games to say one way or the other, in my view - speculation has it that he is playing hurt or hasn't completely recovered from a groin injury and those can last quite a while and are easily aggravated; been there.

Only thing worse is a lower back injury (except head obviously)

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Except for the fact he played like a #4D the last 2/3 of the season. If you dig into his numbers with AZ he was a #4 their as well his last season.

Ignoring the WC is foolish.

Ok let’s include it, he had one assist in 10 games. Did he play decent? Sure but it wasn’t a anything to make you wonder he is gonna start killing it now in the top 4 role. Last year the Hawks sucked expecially on the back end, if he was a true 2nd pairing guy he would have stood out big time but he looked ordinary amongst them. Anyway time will tell but I am not as optimistic as many here, I am not expecting much. I am excited however to see Forsling play as he showed huge promise to start last season and I think he can be big.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Oh, and he should be on the PP EVERY SINGLE GAME. Maybe even the 1st PP unit... It is one of his biggest strengths, and it has hardly been utilized at all.

/\ Absolutely this!!

If Gus would just realize he doesn't need to try and make a game changing play each and every shift, he would vastly improve. Hopefully he settles down or the game slows down for him and he can pick his spots better.

I love his wheels and offensive instinct, that can't be taught.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
/\ Absolutely this!!

If Gus would just realize he doesn't need to try and make a game changing play each and every shift, he would vastly improve. Hopefully he settles down or the game slows down for him and he can pick his spots better.

IMO Gus would be all good if Colliton was our coach, Q once again does not use players to their strengths and it shows.

Gus can be a very effective Dman if deployed correctly, too bad Q is too stupid

Reactions: Kurtosis

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ok let’s include it, he had one assist in 10 games. Did he play decent? Sure but it wasn’t a anything to make you wonder he is gonna start killing it now in the top 4 role. Last year the Hawks sucked expecially on the back end, if he was a true 2nd pairing guy he would have stood out big time but he looked ordinary amongst them. Anyway time will tell but I am not as optimistic as many here, I am not expecting much. I am excited however to see Forsling play as he showed huge promise to start last season and I think he can be big.

Not standing out is a good thing for a non offensive D. We disagree to a point and we will see. Murphy will be a 3rd pairing guy in as little as 1 year for this team.

Let’s not forget Seabrook’s play improved the. They were paired.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
IMO Gus would be all good if Colliton was our coach, Q once again does not use players to their strengths and it shows.

What is correct delpulemnt of him... you also said he should play on the OP every game... he has, hes had over a minute and a half average pp time and over 20 minutes a night besides game 1 in a lot of offensive time.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
/\ Absolutely this!!

Spot on post. There’s never a rush that doesn’t look like an opportunity to Gus. But I love watching him play because he’s so active. The talent is there, its just a matter of situational awareness, as you said.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Think it was the interview Svedberg did with Scott Powers where they talked about playing for Colliton and how it compares to Q and I believe Svedberg said it was completely different. Colliton preached go go go to his D and wanted them to push the play where Q was the opposite and preached an old school “possession” strategy. But you can see that “go go go” play in Gus game. Honestly surprised Q has let him...go...JC might be the reason Gus was even brought back.

djeck42

Jan 26, 2011
Think it was the interview Svedberg did with Scott Powers where they talked about playing for Colliton and how it compares to Q and I believe Svedberg said it was completely different. Colliton preached go go go to his D and wanted them to push the play where Q was the opposite and preached an old school “possession” strategy. But you can see that “go go go” play in Gus game. Honestly surprised Q has let him...go...JC might be the reason Gus was even brought back.

I fully agree.. I probably am remembering it wrong but it felt like the first couple years under Q he let the D pinch more and attack, but ditched that strategy completely. Seabrook and Keith were a great pair because Keith would join the rush and Seabrook would hang back... so hopefully that can work more frequently with Gus. Theyve got the young offensive minded defensemen in the system so hopefully Collition gets his shot with them

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Could you imagine if Rutta and Manning went "go go go" in their play? I'd love see it ... right out the door.

I think Gus might make a good pairing with Murphy against the lesser lines. He can expose the lesser talent up the ice. If Murphy is healthy, he can be a decent stay at home DMen. I'm thinking Seabrook and Forsling will make a decent second pairing.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Could you imagine if Rutta and Manning went "go go go" in their play? I'd love see it ... right out the door.

I think Gus might make a good pairing with Murphy against the lesser lines. He can expose the lesser talent up the ice. If Murphy is healthy, he can be a decent stay at home DMen. I'm thinking Seabrook and Forsling will make a decent second pairing.

100%. The D pair situation is really muddy once Forsling and Murphy get healthy. Figure Davidson is waived and they still have too many. At the moment Manning deserves to be waived, but will Q let that happen? It should, because there is no way he’s better than any of the remaining defensemen on the roster.

Maybe it looks like this

Keith-Joker
Forsling-Seabrook
Gus-Murphy
Manning-Rutta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad