Pre-Game Talk: Game 6 -1/26 7:07 PM - March of the Penguins - NESN, SN360, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Not physically no. But I have little respect for a player his size (6'5", 230 pounds) whining about clutching & grabbing. Instead of bitching to the officials he should have bitch slapped anyone who tried it on him. That's what I mean by whiny little shit.
My thoughts as well.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2 and BMC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Devil's advocat here.

So two experiences one personal and another I wasn't there but my colleagues told me about.

1st Lemieux came to the restaurant one night several years ago ( like 20 + years) Super nice, took pictures with everyone bought drinks for the staff, as nice as could be.

Your hero, not so much, was told he was super snob. Didn't even leave a tip!!!

For the record I have it .

Orr
Gretzky
Lemieux

Yikes!

That sucks about Gretzky. I’m actually pretty disappointed to hear that. I don’t know what the custom is in Quebec, but I always tip 20%., and I’m sure Gretzky could have afforded that. Like I said, that’s disappointing.

On the other hand, thank you for sharing that story about Mario. Maybe I’m getting soft in my old age, but I always enjoy hearing stories about athletes and celebrities rubbing elbows with regular people and having a good time doing it. It sounds like you guys had a great time with him.

I have a lot respect for you and I think I have an idea of what kind of guy you are. If you tell me that Mario Lemieux is a decent guy, I will take you at your word.

As far as who the greatest of all time is, I would probably feel the same way as you had I seen Orr play. I can tell you that even when I was in elementary school in the early’80s, kids were still talking about Orr, even though none of us ever saw him play, and YouTube didn’t exist yet!

Thank you again for sharing your insight.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I can't overstate how impressed I was with him. He was there with Jacques Lemaire of all people in the middle of the summer ( I was like, what?). Anyway you would have thought they had come to see some old friends they just as nice as could be, spent most of the night goofing with staff. When they left we were all looking at each other like who's friends are these guys?

In fairness , on another occasion Gretzky came with Messier and Lindros one night during the Canada cup , this was early 90's they weren't super friendly or anything but the 3 autographed a menu for me and several others so that was nice.

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Devil's advocat here.

So two experiences one personal and another I wasn't there but my colleagues told me about.

1st Lemieux came to the restaurant one night several years ago ( like 20 + years) Super nice, took pictures with everyone bought drinks for the staff, as nice as could be.

Your hero, not so much , was told he was super snob. Didn't even leave a tip!!!

Orr
Gretzky
Lemieux

I sure know it won't change anyone's opinion, but Mario Lemieux is indeed super nice, very kind and generous. And he was an amazing hockey player too. I had the chance to see him play regularly during his junior years in Laval. 133 goals in 70 games in his last year there. He was so much better than anyone else, it was hard to believe.

As a Montreal-born kid, I played hockey for a long time, I had the opportunity to play with or against many (former) NHLers. Most of them were very nice and down to earth. It makes me laugh sometimes to read people bashing 18 years old kid calling them busts and losers. People who haven't played hockey have no idea how talented guys draft in the first round are. Some should realize how tough it is to be a regular NHL player.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I sure know it won't change anyone's opinion, but Mario Lemieux is indeed super nice, very kind and generous. And he was an amazing hockey player too. I had the chance to see him play regularly during his junior years in Laval. 133 goals in 70 games in his last year there. He was so much better than anyone else, it was hard to believe.

As a Montreal-born kid, I played hockey for a long time, I had the opportunity to play with or against many (former) NHLers. Most of them were very nice and down to earth. It makes me laugh sometimes to read people bashing 18 years old kid calling them busts and losers. People who haven't played hockey have no idea how talented guys draft in the first round are. Some should realize how tough it is to be a regular NHL player.

Never played against NHL players but I played against a few junior players, man even they made me feel pretty small (talent wise)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The Bruins can't beat these clowns by enough. After the Canadiens the Ducks and Penguins have always been the teams I hated the most. At least I respect what the Canadiens used to be, I can't say that about the Penguins.

Beat them 0n the scoreboard, the alley and anywhere else.

The Ducks, why? Do they quack too loudly when a Bruin hits them?

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Devil's advocat here.
Your hero, not so much , was told he was super snob. Didn't even leave a tip!!!

Orr
and then there are.....

Gretzky
Lemieux
Xs TWO!

Reactions: JOKER 192

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I can't overstate how impressed I was with him. He was there with Jacques Lemaire of all people in the middle of the summer ( I was like, what?). Anyway you would have thought they had come to see some old friends they just as nice as could be, spent most of the night goofing with staff. When they left we were all looking at each other like who's friends are these guys?

In fairness , on another occasion Gretzky came with Messier and Lindros one night during the Canada cup , this was early 90's they weren't super friendly or anything but the 3 autographed a menu for me and several others so that was nice.
How much did they charge you for them (autographs)?:laugh::sarcasm:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Lemieux went 133-149-282 in 70 games as a young 18 year old at Laval. Followed up with 29-23-52 in 13 playoff games. Absurd.

69-91-160 in 60 games in 92-93 was pretty absurd too.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
How much did they charge you for them (autographs)?:laugh::sarcasm:

I don't pay for such things. And frankly I'm not even comfortable asking for them. I believe celebrities should be able to go out without having to deal with such things......
I could have a whole slew of them but the one I mentioned is the only one I got and only because the Maitre'd asked for me without my consent. I could give you a list of hockey players and endless celebrities who have eaten my meals a mile long but I put myself in their position. Should they not be able to go out to dinner without having to deal with such things? What am I going to do with these autographs after all........show them to my friends? I'll survive without that.

Not my proudest moment but I feed the 93' Canadians team several times during their cup run. I know ........ for shame. A man has to make a living.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Jarry has played very poorly.

Obviously a small sample size, but here's how the East division goalies have performed so far:

Save % Above Expected
Varlamov+2.33%
Elliott+2.09%
Blackwood+1.91%
Wedgewood+1.88%
Halak+1.07%
Rask+0.89%
Georgiev0.00%
Vanacek-0.04%
Shesterkin -0.14%
Sorokin-1.06%
Hart-1.38%
DeSmith-1.38%
Hutton-1.47%
Ullmark-1.51%
Jarry-2.76%
Samsonov-3.03%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goals Saved Above Average per 60min
Varlamov+2.26
Elliott+2.1
Blackwood+1.55
Wedgewood+0.98
Halak+0.74
Vanacek+0.21
Georgiev+0.04
Ullmark-0.01
Hutton-0.17
Rask-0.27
Shesterkin -0.47
DeSmith-0.73
Sorokin-0.86
Hart-0.89
Samsonov-0.95
Jarry-1.59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

High Danger Goals Saved Above Average per 60min
Elliott+1.48
Wedgewood+1.16
Varlamov+0.89
Blackwood+0.44
Shesterkin +0.23
Vanacek+0.2
Ullmark+0.16
Halak+0.13
Samsonov-0.14
Rask-0.27
DeSmith-0.29
Hart-0.56
Georgiev-0.94
Hutton-1.11
Sorokin-1.6
Jarry-1.66
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jarry ranks 15th out of 16; 16th out of 16; and 16th out of 16 in those three statistical categories.
DeSmith: 12/16; 12/16; and 11/16

Rask: 6/16; 10/16; and 10/16
Halak: 5/16; 5/16; and 8/16

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yeah no need to rush him. Make sure he's fully right to go before they play him. If that takes an extra week or whatever that's fine - I'd prefer that to him risking further injury or playing underdone. Plenty of games for Pasta still to play and find his best form before things get serious.
I want Pasta back too, just not sure the Caps are the right team for him to start against.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

So true, for every player who makes the NHL there are thousands more who never get there.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Gretzky and Lemieux cost the Bruins a couple cups easily.

Don't like either players what so ever but they were the best of my youth.

Don't have to like them to say they were the best ever.
Gretzky and Lemieux cost the Bruins two Cups, and possibly a third.

Obviously, 1988 vs. the Oilers. That’s the one that bothers me the least because that 1980s Edmonton Oilers dynasty is the best team I’ve ever seen. They were very much the better team, and even Ray Bourque has said that the Bruins themselves knew they were overmatched. It would have been nice if the Final were a little more competitive, but it was such a good and unexpected playoff run (beating Montreal for the first time in 45 years!) that most people weren’t that bitter. It was also the first season that I was more than a casual watcher of the Bruins, and watched as many games as I possibly could from start to finish. Not a bad season to start as a “real” fan!

Lemieux and the Penguins definitely cost the Bruins the 1991 Cup with Ulf Samuelsson’s cheap shot on Cam Neely and their 0-2 comeback. The Bruins would absolutely have destroyed the North Stars in the Final and given Boston a much needed championship during the 1986-2001 drought. The sweep in 1992 sucked also, but I’m not as sure that the Bruins would have beaten Chicago as I was Minnesota the season before.

I think Mario Lemieux takes a lot of heat in these parts because he’s the face of the Penguins - and we all hate the Penguins. I can admit that I’m guilty of it.

Between the tanking; the preferential treatment by the NHL; the headhunting; and the missed opportunities in the ‘90s, it’s easy to detest them. Not to mention that many of us are Patriots fans, and our dislike of the Steelers certainly doesn’t help. By the way, I’ve never seen a team in any sport talk more shit and produce so little as the Steelers. Even after they lose, they’re still talking!

Anyway... the Bruins had the misfortune of running into 99 and 66 at bad times. I really would have loved to see them win it in ‘91, which was what I thought to be their best chance. That one really stung.

It wasn’t to be :(

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lemieux and the Penguins definitely cost the Bruins the 1991 Cup with Ulf Samuelsson’s cheap shot on Cam Neely and their 0-2 comeback. The Bruins would absolutely have destroyed the North Stars in the Final and given Boston a much needed championship during the 1986-2001 drought. The sweep in 1992 sucked also, but I’m not as sure that the Bruins would have beaten Chicago as I was Minnesota the season before.

How good and important was Cam Neely in the 1991 playoffs?

In 19 playoff games, he had 16 goals. Keep in mind he was largely ineffective in the final 4 games (injured in Game 3), scoring only two goals. So previous to the Samuelsson hit, he had 14 goals in 15 games, nearly a GPG pace. In the playoffs no less. Keep in mind the all-time record for goals in a playoff year is 19. Neely was on pace to shatter that record in 1991 before Ulf took him out.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The goalies in our division straight up STANK. Rask is above and beyond the best. Halak might even be 3rd or 4th best. Our offense against these B tier goalies will be excellent all year when we get rolling.

Rask is the best but the one who does push him close is Varlamov. Excellent goalie who has started the season red-hot. The Islanders' problem is that their backup Sorokin hasn't done so well so far. Literally whenever Varlamov is in net they win, whenever he isn't they lose. Conversely the Bruins can have confidence in their netminder every game and they should take heart from that, although they shouldn't take it for granted either as I felt happened just occasionally last year.

Reactions: BMC

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Between your post here, and what @JOKER 192 has said, I’m certainty willing to rethink my opinion of Mario Lemieux. I know very well how great a player he was, but I think I’ve allowed some other factors to influence my opinion of the man himself. I’m not so stubborn that I’m unwilling change my opinion if shown enough evidence to disprove it.

So true, for every player who makes the NHL there are thousands more who never get there.

Very VERY true.

When I was in college, I worked with a guy who played baseball against Tom Glavine (at the time the reigning World Series MVP) in high school. I asked him what it was like to play against Glavine, and his exact words were: “three pitches and you sat down.”

Different sport, but it told me that the guys that “make it” are so much better than we could ever think of being, that it’s hard to really get your head around.

At the NHL level, even the guys that suck are really really good. It must be shocking for guys who’ve been the best player everywhere they’ve ever been to get to the NHL and find out they’re not even the best player on their own team!

Guys like Bobby Orr; Wayne Gretzky; and Mario Lemieux come along so infrequently, that we’re all very lucky to have seen them in our lifetime. Everyone knew very early on how great they would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad