Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the main reason behind the lack of goalies being drafted in the first couple of rounds is the unpredictability of assessing 15 year old goalies. Teams can't afford to miss on early draft picks.

I am not convinced that goalies are any less predictable. I think many teams would rather throw several darts at the board than pay a person that can identify goalies.
There are teams like NB can’t seem to miss making their first goalie pick in rounds 4, 6, 7. I don’t think it is a fluke that NB had five starting OHL goalies 2000-2006; three of those good enough to get to a conference final, and another good enough for a wannabe contender whose playoff was cancelled by COVID.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With the possible exception of a goalie, I would be a bit surprised if the Steelheads trade any significant 2005-07 born players.
Based on this, and I believe you’ve pointed out in the past the Steelheads resistance to sell off quality futures in “all in” seasons, unless it’s a picks only deal, Missy may not be a likely trade partner for the Rangers.

Today, the Rangers are not in the market for a young goalie. But, by the time the deadline rolls around, the Rangers will have a pretty good evaluation of what they have in Edwards as their goalie of the future.

Missy likely moves one of Leenders / Ivankovic this year. The only way the Rangers would be interested is if they doubt Edwards can be the guy in 26-27, and, if Ivankovic is the goalie made available based on age.

Missy probably gets more for Ivankovic than Leenders based on age but may not be open to moving him unless the return is much more significant than a Leenders return.

Reactions: RB76 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Based on this, and I believe you’ve pointed out in the past the Steelheads resistance to sell off quality futures in “all in” seasons, unless it’s a picks only deal, Missy may not be a likely trade partner for the Rangers.

Today, the Rangers are not in the market for a young goalie. But, by the time the deadline rolls around, the Rangers will have a pretty good evaluation of what they have in Edwards as their goalie of the future.

Missy likely moves one of Leenders / Ivankovic this year. The only way the Rangers would be interested is if they doubt Edwards can be the guy in 26-27, and, if Ivankovic is the goalie made available based on age.

Missy probably gets more for Ivankovic than Leenders based on age but may not be open to moving him unless the return is much more significant than a Leenders return.

The steelheads can easily afford to part with two ‘25-2nds, 3rd and ‘26-2nd, 4th. They can probably choose any of Mangone, Misaljevic, …to fill their most immediate need.
Then they can wait to see how they stack up against Barrie, Brantford, Kingston, Oshawa, possibly Sudbury if fortunate with returning players; this coming season is not necessarily a go for it year for Brampton.

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers are reducing the number of directors to 9 from 39. Something to do with " Not for profit structure". Record article . Was also told the directors have to have some knowledge of business or some other field beneficial to the team. I have no subscription to the Record. It's on the Ranger site.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Rangers are reducing the number of directors to 9 from 39. Something to do with " Not for profit structure". Record article . Was also told the directors have to have some knowledge of business or some other field beneficial to the team. I have no subscription to the Record. It's on the Ranger site.
I got the email and it is a 62 page read. I will let you know once I make heads or tails out of it. Definitely into reducing the number of directors from 39 to 9! ;)

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
cards are not assigned yet. you could card a 13th round pick full time and reasign a 3nd round pick.

i would think anstis doesnt sign unless hes a full time player. headrick needs to be a full time player. it would be xu vs bilecki and cameron. im not sure any of the last 3 are ready for full time ohl duty tbh. xu probably closest.
Any thoughts on Anstis' draft value without signability concerns? Is he a third round type or more like a 5-6. He looked good at the dev camp, but not 'impact rookie' good. At least the bit that I watched.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Any thoughts on Anstis' draft value without signability concerns? Is he a third round type or more like a 5-6. He looked good at the dev camp, but not 'impact rookie' good. At least the bit that I watched.

I’d guess late 2nd or early 3rd.

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I got the email and it is a 62 page read. I will let you know once I make heads or tails out of it.

We're just achieving compliance with the Not-for-Profit Corporation Act (law since 2021) under the deadline. All substantial Not-for-Profits have been doing this same task the last 3 years.

We could have 'modernized' anytime over the last decade or 3 but we've been especially respectful of Eugene George's original intent and our longstanding volunteer directorship structure was easy enough to maintain as was. Lots of language changes, the title of President commutes to Chair, and the board shrinks to 9 which essentially assumes the function of the old executive committee and the other 30 elected Directors that voted and served the team as voluntary game night workers, committee members, friends of the team, honoraries, etc are retired. There's verbiage about pre-vetting candidates to assure that only those best qualified can move forward, hopefully resulting in electing nine Jussis after decades of largely just elevating the next 'family' friend in line.

Nice touch that they consulted the George family.

Quite likely that STH and fan base won't notice any change apart from the odd absence of a few old familiar faces working the front lines at games.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
hes not a stud or anything, just a good player. probably not good enough to make the ushl this year, so maybe a top 6 guy?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not that elite prospects is the “be all and end all”, but it is respected and usually fairly accurate.

Anstis was not among their top 80 on their 2024 OHL draft rankings.

So take that as you will.

But by my eyes after seeing one scrimmage, he looked pretty good.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Not that elite prospects is the “be all and end all”, but it is respected and usually fairly accurate.

Anstis was not among their top 80 on their 2024 OHL draft rankings.

So take that as you will.

But by my eyes after seeing one scrimmage, he looked pretty good.

Not a good list at all for USA kids that are not going to come. Zajic is Anstis team mate who 100% easily is in the top 80 is not on the list. He went 12th round to Ottawa. He is committed to USA U17 program. I standby my late 2nd or early 3rd comment. The kid will be just fine.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
His story on Instagram would support this theory of being signed, along with the team’s @ handle being in his bio

Take it for what it’s worth but I’ve heard Jake Labrash has signed. Not sure if its full time or starting the year in JR B and being a callup
Hlachar 6'3" 205 and Labrash 6'5: 196.........could develop into a gritty duo.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Adding Labrash.

Will still will be adding an import (maybe 2) I imagine.

2 OAs still need to be traded.

Forwards - 17
Defence - 7
Goalies - 3

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 3
Rehkopf
Sale
Mercer