Post-Game Talk: GAME 50 - Whalercanes 4 BRUINS 1 F

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You lost me are you saying they pulled the goalie to late or to early? personally the way the power play has been lately, it was probably a waste of time pulling the goalie at all ,and the way they lost possession of the puck so easily on a 6-4 pretty much confirmed that.

Too early.

Agreed.

Just seems to me pulling the goalie with that much time left is most likely going cut the game short and not really give your team a chance to get back in it. Sure, a goal would put you back in the game, but its way more likely to give up a quick empty-netter and game over.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Too early.

Agreed.

Just seems to me pulling the goalie with that much time left is most likely going cut the game short and not really give your team a chance to get back in it. Sure, a goal would put you back in the game, but its way more likely to give up a quick empty-netter and game over.
Teams do seem to be pulling goalies a lot earlier now for some reason , even only being down by a goal ,use to be the norm was around the last minute now , not really unusual to see 2 minutes or even more ,not really sure why that is . So not really surprised they would pull the goalie at 5 minutes down 2 really,but yeah last night was a waste of time,with how the power play has struggled.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Teams do seem to be pulling goalies a lot earlier now for some reason , even only being down by a goal ,use to be the norm was around the last minute now , not really unusual to see 2 minutes or even more ,not really sure why that is . So not really surprised they would pull the goalie at 5 minutes down 2 really,but yeah last night was a waste of time,with how the power play has struggled.

Everyone is lacking patience these days.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I just miss the goalie hugs.

I need cookies.

Thankfully i happen to have one

20230130_100541.jpg

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
News flash: all teams struggle against speed (edit: which is why teams value speed in the first place). Colorado didn’t cakewalk to the Cup last year for nothing. Bruins certainly weren’t slow the first 4 months of the season and I doubt they will be the last two months of (post)season (which is all that really matters). They just need the break.
It's not speed that is the issue
Ghost...$3.25
He certainly has the shot, not sure his Defense is good enough.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Carolina broadcast team pointed out that coaches are using analytics to help decide when to pull the goalie. The analytics show that pulling the goalie earlier rather than later is more successful. I think Monty was combining the analytics with how crap the 1-man advantage PP had been lately in making his decision. For sure it ended up being a waste, but the logic was sound. It was worth a shot in a game in which the Bs were struggling to generate much of anything.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
This team is going to have trouble against teams with speed. People may not like it but Toronto, Tampa and Carolina will make them look very ordinary.

Obviously some additions to the bottom 6 are definitely required as well as another solid defenseman.

Obviously I hope for the best but the smooth sailing has disappeared now that real hockey is being played (gearing for the playoffs). All games are going to be a dog fight.
I don't think it's simply speed. They struggle against teams that forecheck aggressively and those who stack the blueline defensively. Bruins always talk about pucks deep etc, but their O works much better if a forward can carry the puck into the zone.

And don't get me started with the Babcock/Lemaire like trap some teams utilize. Both the Bolts and Canes were constantly interfering with players all over the ice. And that type of system if not penalized by the NHL is a weapon teams will use to create problems with most good offenses, Bruins included.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I just don't think that the 6-on-4 advantage is that great. Too crowded to move the puck around effectively, and obviously the defending team can shoot at the empty net from anywhere without worrying about icing.
The Carolina broadcast team pointed out that coaches are using analytics to help decide when to pull the goalie. The analytics show that pulling the goalie earlier rather than later is more successful. I think Monty was combining the analytics with how crap the 1-man advantage PP had been lately in making his decision. For sure it ended up being a waste, but the logic was sound. It was worth a shot in a game in which the Bs were struggling to generate much of anything.
Yeah it was worth a shot but also was almost inevitable that it wasn’t going to work in that game ,but really lose bye 2 or 3 who cares.

Reactions: missingchicklet

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Did anyone else mention the Carlo interview in intermission 2? His eyes were dark and sunken. He is absolutely spent IMO, all of the regulars are. This whole team has been winning on adrenaline and sooner or later it was going to catch up to them. This was or should have been expected. IMO the Players need to sit down at the next negotiating session and demand that there need to be no more back-to-back games OR (as someone else mentioned) back-to-back games should only happen if both teams played the night before. Let's see what they look like after they have time off, hopefully Sweeney is able to tweak the roster in a couple of places.
great observation, it`s easy for us all as we`ve been super spoiled this year to forget, the B`s are the team that EVERY opponent now gets up for due to their insane record. They are the one`s who set the bar, opponents, even the weak one`s, will still try to bring "it" when playing the B`s, takes a ton out of a team.

They`ll be totally fine

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Having slept on the events of this weekend:

I’m not glad that they lost, but it’s good that they got punched in the mouth so to speak by a couple of teams they are very likely to see in a meaningful context this Spring.

As @Fenway said, these comparisons to the 70s Canadiens were foolish. Apples and oranges.

This Bruins team is very good, but they’re not other worldly, and when you suffer injuries to your top-6 forwards, there are going to be ripple effects.

You move Hall to the top-6 and you lose some balance 5 on 5.

You rely on Pastrnak and the power play too much, and when they go cold, the offense dries up.

You turn the puck over and rely on Ullmark to bail you out, and eventually other teams will punish you for your carelessness.

They’ve earned a very large margin for error as a result of this amazing start, and they’ve got the pieces in place to have great success, but there are areas to improve and tinkering to be done.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Having slept on the events of this weekend:

I’m not glad that they lost, but it’s good that they got punched in the mouth so to speak by a couple of teams they are very likely to see in a meaningful context this Spring.

As @Fenway said, these comparisons to the 70s Canadiens were foolish. Apples and oranges.

This Bruins team is very good, but they’re not other worldly, and when you suffer injuries to your top-6 forwards, there are going to be ripple effects.

You move Hall to the top-6 and you lose some balance 5 on 5.

You rely on Pastrnak and the power play too much, and when they go cold, the offense dries up.

You turn the puck over and rely on Ullmark to bail you out, and eventually other teams will punish you for your carelessness.

They’ve earned a very large margin for error as a result of this amazing start, and they’ve got the pieces in place to have great success, but there are areas to improve and tinkering to be done.
the 3 losses didn`t come out of left field either, this team were playing a bit with fire more often than not over the last few weeks, play a little too loose with their structure but got away with it due to stellar goaltending at times and scoring depth but at various points of the year, against good competition, you`ll pay the price for it

Always good to face adversity during the year

Reactions: BMC and duffy

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
the 3 losses didn`t come out of left field either, this team were playing a bit with fire more often than not over the last few weeks, play a little too loose with their structure but got away with it due to stellar goaltending at times and scoring depth but at various points of the year, against good competition, you`ll pay the price for it

Always good to face adversity during the year
Florida and the Canes play a similar style. Agressive style of forechecking and speed. Canes have the Bruins number IMO. The next game against them will be telling.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I just don't think that the 6-on-4 advantage is that great. Too crowded to move the puck around effectively, and obviously the defending team can shoot at the empty net from anywhere without worrying about icing.
Depends on how well the team passes the puck! Other teams don't seem to have a problem moving the puck around when playing us. We just don't pass that well as a team and some players continue to try no look back passes that very rarely if ever connect. As for the shooting at the empty net, well we can't even clear our zone, so hitting the net 200 feet away is most likely LUCK!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Florida and the Canes play a similar style. Agressive style of forechecking and speed. Canes have the Bruins number IMO. The next game against them will be telling.
Not on the side of the Canes having the B`s number, thought in the first meeting at the Garden which went to OT the B`s , after a horrible 1st, outplayed the Canes pretty well. Yesterday`s tilt looked very much like a team playing their 3rd game in 4 days. If this were a back to back game with no game vs the Bolts earlier in the week then I`d be more bothered as I don`t think players are super bothered by a back to backer but 3 in 4 is simply tough sledding on any team.

I`d be interested to know what the record is of a team who is playing their 3rd in 4 nights, bet it isn`t great. I think they play the Canes again in March, think both teams are on back to backers, we`ll get a good sense of where things are then although, the B`s might be starting some of the load management stuff too

I found their game vs the Panthers more troublesome than yesterday, it was, IMO, one of those schedule losses

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I don't think they have Bruins # they just went 7 games where home ice ruled and split this season again on home ice .I think finishing 1st in East matters though or what your saying might be true then.Bruins need home ice vs them .

Reactions: TCB

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Did anyone else mention the Carlo interview in intermission 2? His eyes were dark and sunken. He is absolutely spent IMO, all of the regulars are. This whole team has been winning on adrenaline and sooner or later it was going to catch up to them. This was or should have been expected. IMO the Players need to sit down at the next negotiating session and demand that there need to be no more back-to-back games OR (as someone else mentioned) back-to-back games should only happen if both teams played the night before. Let's see what they look like after they have time off, hopefully Sweeney is able to tweak the roster in a couple of places.
Also didn't Carlo just come back from an injury recently where he blocked a shot. He may still be hobbled to a degree ., although that wont stop his detractors from piling on when he has a bad game.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I was at the game last night, and this totally true. The Canes lined all 4 defenders along with blue line when SH, and dared da Broons to stick handle past them. They never did. The dump ins were pathetic and they never got to the defenders to gain possession. I was shocked at the face-off stats. It seemed that da Broons could never win a faceoff when it mattered, thus the puck was immediately iced when on the PP.

Carolina is a talented, hard-working team, that is very well coached. Boston was on their heels from the opening faceoff. Their compete level wasn't down in the 3rd period, it was down the entire game.

Ullmark was the only Broon to have a good game. With ordinary goaltending, this was an 8-1 game. OTOH, with a 2 for 6 PP, they go to OT.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Monty has to see that teams are adjusting to his system and changes must be made. The Bruins started the season making the long stretch passes and blowing through the neutral zone easily. Someone joked that Julien would have a heart attack watching the B's play that way.
But big physical teams clogging up the NZ, giving the puck carrier no time and space, and aggressively attacking on the PK are starting to cause trouble for this team. I hope the coaching staff doesn't just keep trying more of the same, because it got pretty frustrating the last few games watching Pasta, Marchy and Hall trying to weave their way through 2 or 3 opposing players with no other options or support nearby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad