Post-Game Talk: GAME 50 - Whalercanes 4 BRUINS 1 F

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Carolina broadcast team pointed out that coaches are using analytics to help decide when to pull the goalie. The analytics show that pulling the goalie earlier rather than later is more successful. I think Monty was combining the analytics with how crap the 1-man advantage PP had been lately in making his decision. For sure it ended up being a waste, but the logic was sound. It was worth a shot in a game in which the Bs were struggling to generate much of anything.

If we've learnt one thing about Monty so far, it's that he's not one to sit still. If the team's struggling and there's something there that might be worth trying, then most of the time he's going to try it.

Personally I worry that his style is a little too frantic - mixing things up is good, and Cassidy for example was the opposite and often too static/stubborn, which you don't want either, but there's a balance between useful creativity and flexibility and having things get too muddled or rushed. Pulling the goalie is obviously no big deal in itself - it's just an isolated tactical decision - but it goes to that question of patience and whether sometimes persevering more with particular combos or plans might be worthwhile.

As I've said before, can't argue with Monty's record. He's done tremendously well. But perhaps something to ponder, I guess.

Reactions: BMC

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
we need that shot from the point threat.
im sure we will make the moves at the deadline.
This is where they have missed Torey Krug the last couple seasons. The pp has the bumper play and the Pasta 1T, thats it. Take those 2 plays away plus their god awful zone entries and you get the lackluster man advantage that we currently have.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Boston will be fine. Adjusting is always part of a NHL team process. Injuries, team adjusting to your play, etc.... In this club I trust.

Reactions: bergeronsboys

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
If we've learnt one thing about Monty so far, it's that he's not one to sit still. If the team's struggling and there's something there that might be worth trying, then most of the time he's going to try it.

Personally I worry that his style is a little too frantic - mixing things up is good, and Cassidy for example was the opposite and often too static/stubborn, which you don't want either, but there's a balance between useful creativity and flexibility and having things get too muddled or rushed. Pulling the goalie is obviously no big deal in itself - it's just an isolated tactical decision - but it goes to that question of patience and whether sometimes persevering more with particular combos or plans might be worthwhile.

As I've said before, can't argue with Monty's record. He's done tremendously well. But perhaps something to ponder, I guess.
I’ll say this hero to zero sits on a ledge as thin as a knife’s edge. If it pays off he is a genius, if not off with his head.

With how good the team is this year pulling a goalie early is built upon trust and statistics of how well they play in a third period no doubt. It’s a logical gamble even if it’s still a gamble. Monty seems to understand that

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
News flash: all teams struggle against speed (edit: which is why teams value speed in the first place). Colorado didn’t cakewalk to the Cup last year for nothing. Bruins certainly weren’t slow the first 4 months of the season and I doubt they will be the last two months of (post)season (which is all that really matters). They just need the break.
We can hope that's the case, or we can fear that the old guys will wear down.

You have to remember that Carolina beat us last year by being a LOT faster. Team speed is not this team's strength.
As for "all teams struggle against speed", that's not true. Fast teams play fast and thrive in it. Or at worst, play it equal.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
This is where they have missed Torey Krug the last couple seasons. The pp has the bumper play and the Pasta 1T, thats it. Take those 2 plays away plus their god awful zone entries and you get the lackluster man advantage that we currently have.

If I had a choice between Lindholm and Krug, it'd be Lindholm all day long.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We can hope that's the case, or we can fear that the old guys will wear down.

You have to remember that Carolina beat us last year by being a LOT faster. Team speed is not this team's strength.
As for "all teams struggle against speed", that's not true. Fast teams play fast and thrive in it. Or at worst, play it equal.

More like all teams struggle against talent.

There may be something to the "old guys will wear down" when playing a more up-tempo game for the whole season.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
If I had a choice between Lindholm and Krug, it'd be Lindholm all day long.
i mean if we can get ghostisphere here from the yotes he would be perfect for our power play.
maybe they retain some salary and take someoneike riley or smith or sonething like that.

Reactions: nORRis8

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don't think it's simply speed. They struggle against teams that forecheck aggressively and those who stack the blueline defensively. Bruins always talk about pucks deep etc, but their O works much better if a forward can carry the puck into the zone.

And don't get me started with the Babcock/Lemaire like trap some teams utilize. Both the Bolts and Canes were constantly interfering with players all over the ice. And that type of system if not penalized by the NHL is a weapon teams will use to create problems with most good offenses, Bruins included.
Well they look like they are stuck in quick sand when speedy teams turn it on. Carlo always seems to get totally confused when he has very limited time to move the puck. Carolina had no trouble getting up ice and had a lot of really good scoring chances. Ullmark kept the score respectable. Pastrnak is a elite scorer but leaves a lot to be desired when he does not have the puck, especially in his own zone. PP is also really an achilles heel.

Carolina is a very well balanced team and the Bruins can ill afford many mistakes when playing them.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Well they look like they are stuck in quick sand when speedy teams turn it on. Carlo always seems to get totally confused when he has very limited time to move the puck. Carolina had no trouble getting up ice and had a lot of really good scoring chances. Ullmark kept the score respectable. Pastrnak is a elite scorer but leaves a lot to be desired when he does not have the puck, especially in his own zone. PP is also really an achilles heel.

Carolina is a very well balanced team and the Bruins can ill afford many mistakes when playing them.

Seems you are basing this on one game.

That or else the Bruins haven't played a speedy team all season until Sunday.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
So would I but it doesn’t dismiss the point that the Bruins do miss a quarterback on the power play.

Krug currently has 5 goals, 16 assists in only 35 games.

He's also -26.

Hes pretty much been that way since he got to the Blues.
His 5v5 is atrocious and he truly has not added much to their PP.
At over 7 million.... ya, I'd rather have Lindholm

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
This team has a savvy Captain and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have a plan at the beginning of the season to go full blast and try to make it to the all star break. They have been running full steam ahead for 50 games and built a nice cushion. They can moderate their energy level and make it to the playoffs in relatively good shape. The team bought into it and the results show. The record speaks for itself. Yeah their exhausted but it paid off.

Reactions: trenton1

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Hes pretty much been that way since he got to the Blues.
His 5v5 is atrocious and he truly has not added much to their PP.
At over 7 million.... ya, I'd rather have Lindholm

Seems you are basing this on one game.

That or else the Bruins haven't played a speedy team all season until Sunday.
Well Tampa has some speed and what was the result? Do not forget we also have a few aging players and maybe the grind is starting to catch up to them. Debrusk would help as he at least has some speed and can stretch out the other team's D.

The Leafs are next so they better be ready from the get go.

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well Tampa has some speed and what was the result? Do not forget we also have a few aging players and maybe the grind is starting to catch up to them. Debrusk would help as he at least has some speed and can stretch out the other team's D.

The Leafs are next so they better be ready from the get go.
Know who has a lot of speed? The Devils. How did that go?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

No crime in acknowledging that TB, Toronto, Carolina and NJ have overall more speed than Boston. Boston can completely offset that regarding NJ with better goaltending and hockey IQ of the veteran core.

We have seen that Carolina's team speed at home has rendered Boston borderline not competitive.

TB has the better player in net, on D and at center. Vasi, Hedman and Point are better than Ullmark, McAvoy and Bergeron. They also don't lack confidence against Boston whatsoever.

Toronto is basically the reverse of that but Rask was the goalie in 2018 and 2019.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
The shot from the point does you no good, if you never have possession in their end during the PP. I do agree with your point.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well you have to get lucky sometime, believe what you want but this team has been slow for many years. They do a very good job of grinding it out but you cannot believe they are fleet of foot. Other team's speed results in a lot of pressure and quick rushes which exposes our lack of reaction/adjustment.

Hall has got some speed but he does a lot of skating and not much production.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They looked mentally and physically tired in this game. Third game in four nights will do that, especially when the team waiting is a good one like the Canes. They were getting beat to pucks all night and they couldn't solve the Canes stacking the blueline.

Reactions: Mione134

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wonder how much nhl.com would pay for an editor

:facepalm:

"You aren't going to coast through regardless. Listen, we're not that good. We're good, but we're not that good," said Marchand. "We're not going to run through this league, and we never thought that for a second. Even if you look at the games we won early on, we won because we play the right way, we play hard, and we just find a way to win. It's not like we're dominating every game. There's too much parody in this league.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I wonder how much nhl.com would pay for an editor

:facepalm:

"You aren't going to coast through regardless. Listen, we're not that good. We're good, but we're not that good," said Marchand. "We're not going to run through this league, and we never thought that for a second. Even if you look at the games we won early on, we won because we play the right way, we play hard, and we just find a way to win. It's not like we're dominating every game. There's too much parody in this league.
It’s a funny league

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2