Post-Game Talk: GAME 50 - Whalercanes 4 BRUINS 1 F

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Better this slump happens now, then in the playoffs. There is a reason so many runaway President's Trophy winners fail in the 1st two rounds.
Reassess expectations and let the rest of the season prepare the team for a long run, starting in April.

This is a blessing in not so much of a disguise. No bridge jumping yet:sarcasm:!

Reactions: TCB, BMC and BTO

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
They're just not fast enough. It's not more complicated than that. they struggle against real team speed.

At this rate we might not even get past Buffalo in the first round (should they make it) because they are fast too.
News flash: all teams struggle against speed (edit: which is why teams value speed in the first place). Colorado didn’t cakewalk to the Cup last year for nothing. Bruins certainly weren’t slow the first 4 months of the season and I doubt they will be the last two months of (post)season (which is all that really matters). They just need the break.

Last edited:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Did anyone else mention the Carlo interview in intermission 2? His eyes were dark and sunken. He is absolutely spent IMO, all of the regulars are. This whole team has been winning on adrenaline and sooner or later it was going to catch up to them. This was or should have been expected. IMO the Players need to sit down at the next negotiating session and demand that there need to be no more back-to-back games OR (as someone else mentioned) back-to-back games should only happen if both teams played the night before. Let's see what they look like after they have time off, hopefully Sweeney is able to tweak the roster in a couple of places.
And no 3 games in 4 nights when the back-to-back is on days 3 & 4 rather than 1 & 2. That was just brutal.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
I knew the slump would happen, but could it happen maybe not right when this team is playing tampa Carolina and Toronto ? :D
As long as it’s not against Carolina and Toronto (or Tampa) in the playoffs, which it won’t be. Everybody, including the Bruins, just needs to relax and rest and chill until the playoffs because literally nothing that happens between now and then, save for injuries and trades, means a damn thing. The real season starts April 18 and ends 2 months later. Go Bruins!!!!

Reactions: KnightofBoston

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
crappy weekend but we`ve been spoiled all season so not super concerned but this team has plenty to work on in spite of the great record, they played and looked exhausted last night

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He has been. But whomever they use on the 4th line it has to be a line they can depend on and eat minutes. Doesn't have to be the Merlot line, but its clear they need to roll 4 lines to keep the core fresh.
I agree.

Reactions: mjhfb

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Nosek also. He has been decent.

Nosek is sooooooo underrated here. I know, he can't score a goal to save his life. Yet look at how the fourth line struggles without him taking face offs, working the boards, blocking shots etc. Plus playing well on the PK. I admit I wasn't a fan until I watched him live, then I learned his value to the Bruins & now I'm definitely a Nosek fan.

Hockey isn't just about goal scoring although you wouldn't know it from reading the board at times.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Did anyone else mention the Carlo interview in intermission 2? His eyes were dark and sunken. He is absolutely spent IMO, all of the regulars are. This whole team has been winning on adrenaline and sooner or later it was going to catch up to them. This was or should have been expected. IMO the Players need to sit down at the next negotiating session and demand that there need to be no more back-to-back games OR (as someone else mentioned) back-to-back games should only happen if both teams played the night before. Let's see what they look like after they have time off, hopefully Sweeney is able to tweak the roster in a couple of places.

Absolutely. At minimum 3 in 4 must end. I wonder what the count of these across the league is by team. This is not MLB.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
This team is going to have trouble against teams with speed. People may not like it but Toronto, Tampa and Carolina will make them look very ordinary.

Obviously some additions to the bottom 6 are definitely required as well as another solid defenseman.

Obviously I hope for the best but the smooth sailing has disappeared now that real hockey is being played (gearing for the playoffs). All games are going to be a dog fight.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
This isn’t really a surprise that they would hit a losing streak,personally could care less if they win the presidents trophy, like that really works out so well for playoff success .Now that being said ,they’re are some things that do worry me , the power play has been atrocious it’s literally sucking the life out of them, I really wish this team had a real option as the point shot as a weapon,because they really don’t. Kind of worried about Hall he’s kind of looking like the Sabres version of Hall ,put him back on the third line I think that’s where he belongs. Obviously Debrusk is sorely missed he brings an element with his speed and taking the puck to the net that they sorely need.Really hope Sweeney does something to add to the team at the deadline, I really think this is a season that you go for it

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nosek is sooooooo underrated here. I know, he can't score a goal to save his life. Yet look at how the fourth line struggles without him taking face offs, working the boards, blocking shots etc. Plus playing well on the PK. I admit I wasn't a fan until I watched him live, then I learned his value to the Bruins & now I'm definitely a Nosek fan.

Hockey isn't just about goal scoring although you wouldn't know it from reading the board at times.
Not by this fan...

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

This is SO true

Reactions: BMC

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
carolina is a really good team.
i fully expect it to be us against them in the conference finals.
hopefully we win just enough to get home ice on them.

our power play is hurting us right now.
people dont like it but we needs a defenseman who can work the point on the power play with a shot threat.

We easily win in tampa and at panthers with a working power play.

last nights game was a good effort, but they were obviously gassed after playing 3 in 4 nights. in addition to carolina being a great team.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bad situation for sure. Back-to-back games on the road (Carolina, our new Montreal Forum?) against perhaps the best team in the league currently.

What's concerning though, is that the B's were dominated, start to finish. B's haven't been dominated in a single period, let alone a whole game, this season. Looked very much like playoff games in Carolina last season. Ullmark kept the score from being embarrassing. Tampa & Florida games could have gone either way. Bruins were not outplayed in either one.

Also, not a big fan of pulling the goalie with 5 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Reactions: Spjutmuren and BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

All four centers are similar in the respect that they are responsible, cerebral, 30+, and not very fast. Watching the exhausted player interviews, I thought about that through 50 games the 4 centers, all over 30, are doing the bulk of the two way play for at least another 50+ games.
They need to stay healthy, rested, and as fast as possible.
I would love to see some kids temporarily take the pressure off the centers the second half, but not sure if or who that would be.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bad situation for sure. Back-to-back games on the road (Carolina, our new Montreal Forum?) against perhaps the best team in the league currently.

What's concerning though, is that the B's were dominated, start to finish. B's haven't been dominated in a single period, let alone a whole game, this season. Looked very much like playoff games in Carolina last season. Ullmark kept the score from being embarrassing. Tampa & Florida games could have gone either way. Bruins were not outplayed in either one.

Also, not a big fan of pulling the goalie with 5 1/2 minutes left in the game.
Down by two goals why not ?Although they ended up with a 6-4 and couldn’t even keep possession of the puck,so it was probably a waste of time in that game.

Reactions: duffy

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1