Post-Game Talk: GAME 5 - St. Louis 2 BRUINS 1 - Blues lead series 3-2 - II - Barbashev suspended one game

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Screenshot_2019-06-08-08-12-17~2.png
Report: The Bruins have signed the QMJHL's leading goal-scorer to a contract

Can he play right now?:laugh:

Reactions: bobbyorr04 and BMC

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
That was my point - the NY Times is read by the people who make advertising buys.

The NHL needs a third ref either in the venue or in Toronto to be able to buzz the refs when something needs another look.

We had video of Sutherland skating towards center ice after the goal with a deer in the headlights look as he knew he just had a career-defining moment.

McGuire made a point on Montreal radio that the NHL had already dismissed 4 of their best refs earlier in the playoffs and the best ref is injured. Now we have word that Francis Charron and Tim Peel have been put on standby for either Game 6 or 7.

Peel lives in St. Louis.

I do think a third ref with access to the broadcast view could be interesting.

I don't necessarily want them to replay things... But if they spot something in real time they can call a penalty just like the ref on ice, and can be involved in conversations when the officials need to discuss something.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I do think a third ref with access to the broadcast view could be interesting.

I don't necessarily want them to replay things... But if they spot something in real time they can call a penalty just like the ref on ice, and can be involved in conversations when the officials need to discuss something.

I don’t want every penalty reviewed but I think if the third ref is acting more real time I might like it.

It might help with things like too many men (this gets missed a lot and I think game speed does play a role). I want to get rid of the off side video challenge or at least change it so that the goal has be scored within 3 or 4 passes after the off side occurs.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Completely agree. Any conspiracy theory is just outlandish. If it even got out for a second, in ANY sport, it would immediately become the biggest scandal in history just due to the billions of dollars on the line.

The NHL seems to be the only league that doesn’t hold their officials accountable. Sure it’s nice “firing” guys for the playoffs after some egregious calls. But NONE of that happens during the regular season. There doesn’t even seem to be a grading system.
Wasn’t there some kind of officiating scandal in the NBA? This from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-cavaliers-win-game-5/?utm_term=.a8cf3654f05e

By all means take this with a grain or two of salt, considering that Tim Donaghy not only lost his job as an NBA referee but went to federal prison following an FBI investigation into gambling on NBA games. However, some fans are already under the impression that the league attempts to engineer outcomes to what it perceives as its benefit, and Donaghy’s remarks Monday will only bolster those suspicions.
“It’s a situation where they are going to try and get a Game 6 and open things up so they can create more revenue for the league,” Donaghy said on San Francisco radio station KNBR, hours before the Warriors were set to host the Cavaliers in a potentially title-clinching Game 5 of the NBA Finals. “. . . I think it’s dramatically important to extend this series in any way they can without coming out and fixing it.”

“I’m just telling you I’ve been in this situation before. I’ve been in these meetings,” Donaghy told KNBR. “. . . I’ve walked out of them with my crew and kind of laughed.”

“And thinking to myself, wow, they really want the Lakers, or they want the Spurs, or they want the Cleveland Cavaliers to win tonight. . . . [Former referee] Dick Bavetta came out on occasions and said he was put on Game 6s to make sure Game 7s occurred.”

THIS, and the blatant and obvious UNFAIR officiating of Game 7 of the 2010 Celtics - Lakers Finals is why I haven’t watched a single basketball game since then. Nobody will ever convince me that the NBA didn’t prefer that the Lakers win, and “coached” the officials to call the game a certain way. IF the Celtics overcame that, so be it, but they weren’t going to be done any favors. Watch that game for yourself and tell me I’m wrong with a straight face if you can.

Gary Bettman is an NBA guy, always will be, and he will never get that stench off him as far as I’m concerned. He’s a dishonest man with no honor, and I detest everything about him. He’s taken the WORST elements of the NBA and jammed them into the NHL in the name of “marketing” and “growing the game.”

If I want to watch orchestrated entertainment, I’ll watch a movie or a TV show. Those have endings that are predetermined, and I’m ok with that.

Maybe the New York Times should investigate the NHL and their officiating. They’re not afraid of anyone. They’ve taken on presidents; generals; big business; and other powerful entities. That disgusting little man and his hockey league should be easy pickings for the Times. They enjoy cutting people down to size. I’d buy a 10 year subscription if they took down Bettman.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I've said this before, but the Pavelski/Eakin fallout and reaction has eliminated the major penalty for these playoffs and has had an incredible impact. The refs are afraid to make most calls and simply won't give a major anymore. Now the pendulum has swung the other way whereby they are getting killed for letting something go.
The NHL's wish for a 2 hour and 20 minute game has destroyed their ability to make sure the calls are made correctly. It takes time. Replays are necessary. Off-ice, video-using referees are needed in the playoffs. It will be worth the time and money considering the entire product is at stake.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Wasn’t there some kind of officiating scandal in the NBA? This from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-cavaliers-win-game-5/?utm_term=.a8cf3654f05e

By all means take this with a grain or two of salt, considering that Tim Donaghy not only lost his job as an NBA referee but went to federal prison following an FBI investigation into gambling on NBA games. However, some fans are already under the impression that the league attempts to engineer outcomes to what it perceives as its benefit, and Donaghy’s remarks Monday will only bolster those suspicions.
“It’s a situation where they are going to try and get a Game 6 and open things up so they can create more revenue for the league,” Donaghy said on San Francisco radio station KNBR, hours before the Warriors were set to host the Cavaliers in a potentially title-clinching Game 5 of the NBA Finals. “. . . I think it’s dramatically important to extend this series in any way they can without coming out and fixing it.”

“I’m just telling you I’ve been in this situation before. I’ve been in these meetings,” Donaghy told KNBR. “. . . I’ve walked out of them with my crew and kind of laughed.”

“And thinking to myself, wow, they really want the Lakers, or they want the Spurs, or they want the Cleveland Cavaliers to win tonight. . . . [Former referee] Dick Bavetta came out on occasions and said he was put on Game 6s to make sure Game 7s occurred.”

THIS, and the blatant and obvious UNFAIR officiating of Game 7 of the 2010 Celtics - Lakers Finals is why I haven’t watched a single basketball game since then. Nobody will ever convince me that the NBA preferred that the Lakers win, and “coached” the officials to call the game a certain way. IF the Celtics overcame that, so be it, but they weren’t going to be done any favors. Watch that game for yourself and tell me I’m wrong with a straight face if you can.

Gary Bettman is an NBA guy, always will be, and he will never get that stench off him as far as I’m concerned. He’s a dishonest man with no honor, and I detest everything about him. He’s taken the WORST elements of the NBA and jammed them into the NHL in the name of “marketing” and “growing the game.”

If I want to watch orchestrated entertainment, I’ll watch a movie or a TV show. Those have endings that are predetermined, and I’m ok with that.

Maybe the New York Times should investigate the NHL and their officiating. They’re not afraid of anyone. They’ve taken on presidents; generals; big business; and other powerful entities. That disgusting little man and his hockey league should be easy pickings for the Times. They enjoy cutting people down to size. I’d buy a 10 year subscription if they took down Bettman.

Nice post.

I've never seen it this bad, so many blatant calls not called with the official standing nearly an arms length away and then the phantom calls on one team and not the other??? Very questionable and as the old saying go's its all about the money.

It has more than raised an eyebrow in this 2019 NHL playoffs.
When a gambling corporation cancels bets because the outcome of a poorly officiated game, maybe just maybe its time that an investigation should be done by someone.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Nice post.

I've never seen it this bad, so many blatant calls not called with the official standing nearly an arms length away and then the phantom calls on one team and not the other??? Very questionable and as the old saying go's its all about the money.

It has more than raised an eyebrow in this 2019 NHL playoffs.
When a gambling corporation cancels bets because the outcome of a poorly officiated game, maybe just maybe its time that an investigation should be done by someone.

Thank you for the compliment.

I’m actually writing a letter to the New York Times as we speak.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I don’t want every penalty reviewed but I think if the third ref is acting more real time I might like it.

It might help with things like too many men (this gets missed a lot and I think game speed does play a role). I want to get rid of the off side video challenge or at least change it so that the goal has be scored within 3 or 4 passes after the off side occurs.

Every time the four officials huddle together to "get it right" there should be 1-2 other officials on their headsets in the upper part of the arena (with video) telling them what they see. It's worth the extra 5-10 minutes it could add to a playoff game. There are pre-game ceremonies and shout-outs that are lasting several minutes. Puck-drop for game 3 was about 25 minutes after the listed game time.

It's time to make an investment in the game itself.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Just had a look at the Sharks board and they’re really pissed about Barbashev getting suspended.

They feel he should have also gotten suspended for the hit on Tomas Hertl

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/video/sharks-tomas-hertl-hit-head-blues-ivan-barbashev-game-5

I think the Sharks have a point if that hit was similar (I admit I haven’t looked at the video). I’m not sure this would have happened if not for the fact it got attention outside the Boston media market. I don’t recall that hit on Hertl getting much attention in US national media. I’ve mostly only seen Sharks players discussing it.

I think in addition to NHL officiating incompetence supplemental discipline happens only when bad hits happen and get discussed outside the local market.

Right now the SCF is the only game in town and the last game turned the story into how bad the officials are vs the Blues victory.

Reactions: Chief Nine

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I still think contact with head, should be called like a highstick. They have to take the grey area part out of it.
I support this idea fully.

Head contact is 2 minutes period with discretion for a major etc.

I think they need to stop this “he put himself in a bad position” crap. It doesn’t make the game safer.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Every time the four officials huddle together to "get it right" there should be 1-2 other officials on their headsets in the upper part of the arena (with video) telling them what they see. It's worth the extra 5-10 minutes it could add to a playoff game. There are pre-game ceremonies and shout-outs that are lasting several minutes. Puck-drop for game 3 was about 25 minutes after the listed game time.

It's time to make an investment in the game itself.

This is about the only thing Felger has been right on the last few years.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Blues will change the rules - no one else will have the opportunity to copy cat the Blues playoff approach

Barbashev disguised premeditated hits will be closely watched going forward

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Let's not forget we are dealing with a coach here who basically had no hockey skills whatsoever, his primary and only job was as a dirty head hunter, and he definetely has instilled and is preaching this same type of game plan into his team, so they're all doing it. This is evident, but it's mind boggling to see that they are allowed to get away with it. Crazy

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Let's not forget we are dealing with a coach here who basically had no hockey skills whatsoever, he primary and only job was as a dirty head hunter, and he definetely has instilled and is preaching this same type of game plan into his team, so they're all doing it. This is evident, but it's mind boggling to see that they are allowed to get away with it. Crazy

While I`m sure we could find a few clips of Berube "head hunting", I`m not so sure he was a dirty player, he was a goon in the sense that the only way for him to collect a NHL pay cheque was by scrapping and I never found him to be much of a spot picker.

While I hate some of the garbage and non-calls going on right now, let`s not get all creampuffy here, if the Bruins had the size and the natural tendencies of the Blues to play bash hockey, fans here would be breaking the internet with praise

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I know he won’t, but I wish Bruce would sit the Vets down and show them the speech from Any Given Sunday. What Pacino says is literally what we need from the first two lines. Fight for every inch. Be willing to die for that inch. And if you add up those inches, it’s the difference between winning and losing. It’s that simple.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know he won’t, but I wish Bruce would sit the Vets down and show them the speech from Any Given Sunday. What Pacino says is literally what we need from the first two lines. Fight for every inch. Be willing to die for that inch. And if you add up those inches, it’s the difference between winning and losing. It’s that simple.

if any of our vets require a motivation speech at this time of the year they should be moved. All of them know what they need to do, now they have to do it

Reactions: BMC and HockeyMomx2

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I support this idea fully.

Head contact is 2 minutes period with discretion for a major etc.

I think they need to stop this “he put himself in a bad position” crap. It doesn’t make the game safer.

Screw 2 minutes and to he** with intent, if this league was truly serious about trying to limit the amount of concussions, the penalty for hits from behind and hits to the head would be severe and not little taps on the wrist.

When a player sees another`s numbers or names clearly, it`s a hit from behind, case closed, if that player still chooses to go forward and crush that player, suspension immediately and same for head shots

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
While I`m sure we could find a few clips of Berube "head hunting", I`m not so sure he was a dirty player, he was a goon in the sense that the only way for him to collect a NHL pay cheque was by scrapping and I never found him to be much of a spot picker.

While I hate some of the garbage and non-calls going on right now, let`s not get all creampuffy here, if the Bruins had the size and the natural tendencies of the Blues to play bash hockey, fans here would be breaking the internet with praise
These garbage and non calls have been going on for a very long time in this league, like at least 44 years not just now. They seem to have an agenda to pick and choose and ignore. As long as the fans keep buying tickets and they have their sponsors it's all good. they are even keeping the dead hockey markets down South in business, bush league really.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad