Post-Game Talk: GAME 5 - St. Louis 2 BRUINS 1 - Blues lead series 3-2 - II - Barbashev suspended one game

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just my $.02, but I believe potential sponsors care more about eyeballs than fair officiating.

The refs are affecting the outcomes of games, but we are all still watching. Of course I'm not saying we should boycott, but if the ratings are where potential sponsors want with particular demographics, I'm not sure how much they care if the games are plagued by missed calls.

I do however see the league having a problem selling a regular season that is already bordering on meaningless, when a completely different set of rules are applied when the games really matter.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Speed had nothing to do with the missed calls that the refs were directly looking at though.....

I watched some of the missed calls on twitter (I didn't have time to look at ALL the Blues missed calls in this series), and from what I saw there was usually one ref very close, looking right at the play
...but somehow couldn't find his whistle

It's extremely maddening !

Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just my $.02, but I believe potential sponsors care more about eyeballs than fair officiating.

The refs are affecting the outcomes of games, but we are all still watching. Of course I'm not saying we should boycott, but if the ratings are where potential sponsors want with particular demographics, I'm not sure how much they care if the games are plagued by missed calls.

I do however see the league having a problem selling a regular season that is already bordering on meaningless, when a completely different set of rules are applied when the games really matter.

NBC ratings are decent but not great

upload_2019-6-8_0-11-20.png

Milbury on no-call: “Acciari gets tripped right here by Bozak. You can see the official has a clear view of it, a crystal-clear view. Look at him. There is nothing to impede his view of the trip, and he does have a clean trip. This is what he saw, no call, and seconds after that the puck is in the back of the Boston net. This is a disaster causing Cam Neely to act like this. I don’t blame him. You work all year long to eliminate 29 teams to get yourself in a position to be two out of three in the Stanley Cup Final and an official blows a call as badly as that was blown. That’s just unforgivable and I don’t know where Kelly Sutherland lines up again but it shouldn’t be refereeing another Stanley Cup Final game.”

Olczyk on no-call
: “Calls made and calls not made are not only altering for that specific game, but they can be history-altering.”

Emrick on no-call:
“It is a game governed by judgment calls, and when you see what we see on replay, it’s mystifying.”

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary

Calls are bad all year.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
NBC ratings are decent but not great

View attachment 234613

Milbury on no-call: “Acciari gets tripped right here by Bozak. You can see the official has a clear view of it, a crystal-clear view. Look at him. There is nothing to impede his view of the trip, and he does have a clean trip. This is what he saw, no call, and seconds after that the puck is in the back of the Boston net. This is a disaster causing Cam Neely to act like this. I don’t blame him. You work all year long to eliminate 29 teams to get yourself in a position to be two out of three in the Stanley Cup Final and an official blows a call as badly as that was blown. That’s just unforgivable and I don’t know where Kelly Sutherland lines up again but it shouldn’t be refereeing another Stanley Cup Final game.”

Olczyk on no-call
: “Calls made and calls not made are not only altering for that specific game, but they can be history-altering.”

Emrick on no-call:
“It is a game governed by judgment calls, and when you see what we see on replay, it’s mystifying.”

Given that TV is a dying medium, 5 million on NBC is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Fenway

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005

Milbury can drive people nuts, but he nails it right here perfectly.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Tuukka has a legacy game Sunday.
Bergeron has his line that simply shows up in games 6-7 every series.
Grzelcyk is back.

I remember being down 3-2 to Toronto and Vancouver. I remember thinking it was over then. I won't make that mistake again.

When the handshakes happen finally we can look back on missed chances but as of right now their are chances right in front of the Bruins waiting to be taken.

For me, this is feels like being in a poker tournament and hitting all-in hands on the river multiple times after only buying in for a small ante; when they didn't get Krejci's RWer in the off-season and trade deadline I thought they were lucky to beat the Leafs. Now here we are.

I'll doubt them when they don't respond but I have yet to see the Bergeron line not show up in a series. Sunday is their impact game paired with thee second-most important game in Rask's career.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
That was my point - the NY Times is read by the people who make advertising buys.

The NHL needs a third ref either in the venue or in Toronto to be able to buzz the refs when something needs another look.

We had video of Sutherland skating towards center ice after the goal with a deer in the headlights look as he knew he just had a career-defining moment.

McGuire made a point on Montreal radio that the NHL had already dismissed 4 of their best refs earlier in the playoffs and the best ref is injured. Now we have word that Francis Charron and Tim Peel have been put on standby for either Game 6 or 7.

Peel lives in St. Louis.

I never did like Peel

Looks like the NHL is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Bruins after game 3
Game 3 was the Bruins best all around effort of this series and I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt good about their chances of winning the Cup.........and then WTF happened???

Cassidy said "The narrative changed after game 3"

My theory is that The NHL and TV networks didn't like the 7-2 drubbing with 4 Bruin PP goals, and then when Berube started crying to the media they had to do something to make sure another blowout doesn't happen, because it's probably not good for TV ratings and they were worried the series might not go the distance.

The officiating crew were then instructed to limit penalty calls against the Blues as much as possible (knowing full well the Blues play dirty) and try to keep them even with the Bruins penalties, which actually translates into open season head-hunting, slew footing, high sticking, etc. etc. on the Boston Bruins

When the Blues realized the refs were putting their whistles away in game 4, open season was officially opened

Open season definitely favors a bigger, dirtier team like the Blues more than it would favor the Bruins

...and it's showing.

Last edited:
Reactions: trenton1

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I agree with him. Yes the officiating sucked. It has sucked for the entire series. Bottom line though the Bruins need to play better and that has zero to do with the quality of the officiating (or lack thereof)

I've seen many people claim that the Bruins are overwhelmed physically.
Just imagine a world where the Blues get penalties for their head-shots.

1) They wouldn't even be in the Final
2) The Bruins get even more powerplays (just imagine a 5 minute powerplay in game 2 while the score is even ... no more Sundqvist for the rest of the game)
3) The Blues wouldn't be able to continue to give head-shots at will. The Bruins lost Grzelcyk for almost the entire series and had to play over 2 periods in game 2 with 5 D. Consequences for St. Louis? 2 of their goons got supended for 1 game each ... but they're still able to ice 20 players each game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That was my point - the NY Times is read by the people who make advertising buys.

The NHL needs a third ref either in the venue or in Toronto to be able to buzz the refs when something needs another look.

We had video of Sutherland skating towards center ice after the goal with a deer in the headlights look as he knew he just had a career-defining moment.

McGuire made a point on Montreal radio that the NHL had already dismissed 4 of their best refs earlier in the playoffs and the best ref is injured. Now we have word that Francis Charron and Tim Peel have been put on standby for either Game 6 or 7.

Peel lives in St. Louis.

Basically they need a referee supervisor that can look at stuff and quickly buzz down and inform the ref of the correct decision.

Some may think this is ludicrous but I'd go back to the 1-ref system. I've long contended the two-ref system is an utter failure, especially in it's current format.

The bad calls playoff-wide is epidemic now. And while this year's playoffs has been especially bad, it's been bad in other years too leading up to this one. I've been watching since the early 90s and I don't recall these sorts of debacles prior to the two-ref system. You'd had the scattered incident (the missed high stick by Kerry Fraser in 93) but I don't remember the refs or who was reffing a game being a particular factor in the outcome of games.

Now I know the NHL is NEVER going back to the 1-ref system. But if they aren't, then they need a separation of duties from Ref A and Ref B. Maybe make it so they can only make calls on their half of the ice. They can have input into calls just as linesmen do, but when the puck isn't in their half, they can't make the call. How many phantom trips have we seen where the ref 100+ feet away makes the call and the guy 15 feet away doesn't? Right now you essentially have two refs out there competing against each other because their on-ice duties completely overlap.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Once again I have to say “Thanks Fenway.”
You are a treasure trove of fascinating Bruins info (with a side of culinary delight).

Reactions: BMC

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Again...

It’s not a conspiracy, it’s sheer and utter incompetence.

Completely agree. Any conspiracy theory is just outlandish. If it even got out for a second, in ANY sport, it would immediately become the biggest scandal in history just due to the billions of dollars on the line.

The NHL seems to be the only league that doesn’t hold their officials accountable. Sure it’s nice “firing” guys for the playoffs after some egregious calls. But NONE of that happens during the regular season. There doesn’t even seem to be a grading system.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
If there’s a conspiracy I think it’s more a-“get the series to 6/7 games” than “make sure team X wins” because more games means more money (when cheap seats in the final are a house payment money is being made and the NHL is about making money).

The refs are incompetent. There is no excuse for failing to call some of these penalties. The trip on Acciari is just WTF. Even Bozak expected the call.

Reactions: bobbyorr04 and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad