Post-Game Talk: GAME 49 - In 20 seconds a win becomes a loss - Sunrise 4 BRUINS 3 F/OT

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Been a while since the goaltending let them down. It happens.

Specific to nobody;

Teams have to be less reluctant to icing the puck when the goalie is pulled.

Especially teams that are good at the dot.

Reactions: BMC

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Carlo -4 in Florida this week. Spare me the “new whipping boy”.. I don’t expect him to be Kevan Miller crushing bodies every shift but his mediocre play is becoming very noticeable. I’ve defended Carlo in the past, concussions aren’t a joke.. but at some point we must call a spade a spade.
Or a mediocre Defenseman a mediocre Defenseman. He would be better served playing on the third pair against weaker players

Reactions: Oates2Neely

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Welcome to the dog days of the NHL schedule.
Contrary to news articles, TV, and video highlights the game in Tampa was very slow paced and there was very little urgency shown in the Bruins play. Everything looks faster on TV, but the game in Tampa was very slow and compared to a snooze fest.

As fans we expect our team to play all out every game. In reality watching them in person Thursday night it appeared as though they were playing out a string of games. That said Tampa didn't do anything special to win that game other than capitalize on three errors in the game. Boston the few times when they actually applied themselves controlled the play and took the game to Tampa; but there wasn't any urgency to do that all game. I was hoping to see that constant attack with out sitting back that was talked about earlier in the season; but instead they played a typical conservative road game.

Everything team in the league is going to be gunning to knock Boston off. Boston, meanwhile, is (already) playing to finish out the season (or subconsciously looking forward to the week long break) ... at least their body language/play appeared that way. Can't really blame them they are human ... even as pros it can be tough to stay motivated with such a large lead and knowing you are almost guaranteed a playoff spot.

This is a really good team, the danger here out is - complacency, avoiding bad habits, staying healthy, motivated and focused on their ultimate goal. We may see many more games like these last two the remainder of the season.
Bruins could have easily won both games in Florida (both games were very much unlucky) but over the course of an 82 game season there will be games like these. (Remember the game in Arizona?)

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
They certainly have, but it’s also said the luck is usually a byproduct of hard work. Looks karma stood up and kicked them square in the junk tonight, and rightfully so.
..the Bruins did not work hard enough (especially in the third period) to deserve a win tonight

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Oh well they need to lose a few anyway, keeps them honest. That blown 4 min PP hurt them big time.
Also been saying it for a little while now but I am all set with Brandon Carlo and not trading him for Landeskog a few years back was a massive missed opportunity in hindsight
The man advantage has a fundamental failure. There is no threat on the blue line. No one is taking either onetimer or a slapshot from the blue line. Last game when they pulled Ullmark it was just the same.
As good as McAvoy is he is a trainwreck on the PP. His puck control is terrible, loses the zone quite often, he has a good hard slapper but not accurate.
Lindholm had more success when McAvoy was out but unfortunately his shot is just too weak.

If you are a PK unit and know that D is not gonna take a slap shot but pass you just cover those other 4 players on the PP. Then it comes to how good is your stick skill to disrupt the passing lanes.

Last edited:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Or a mediocre Defenseman a mediocre Defenseman. He would be better served playing on the third pair against weaker players
Look, he's not my favorite defenseman either, but the first goal was an unlucky tip on Lindholm's side after all 3 forwards got trapped, the second was a screw up between Clifton and Lindholm giving up the blueline, and the 3rd goal Montour crosschecked Carlo from behind and he ended up flat on his face when the goal was scored.
Can he improve? Sure. Was it his fault? No. But reading some of these comments make me wonder if I watched the same game.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Adversity this time of year happens. We've been spoiled thus far. We'll figure it out. Getting into uncharacteristic plays and not looking up to par. Get these bad habits out now, rather than playoff time.

We WILL be okay. The pace we were on...of course these losses will happen. Get back to the drawing board and Monty and Co will figure it out. We got leaders in the locker room. We need to trust that.

Jake will be back soon. And Sweeney will probably do something during the trade deadline if need be. I'm not worried about that.

Breathe everyone.

Last edited:

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Too pissed to post. I liked the California trip a whole lot better. F*#k Florida. Good Night.
Absolute crap ending, literally snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Holy s. I had a bad feeling once Jack said Florida had no OT goals this year. On a related point, this is two games in a row with major problems clearing the puck - added to a tepid pp and many missed chances in front tonight. Yuck.

Reactions: BMC and aguineapig

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Welcome to the dog days of the NHL schedule.
Contrary to news articles, TV, and video highlights the game in Tampa was very slow paced and there was very little urgency shown in the Bruins play. Everything looks faster on TV, but the game in Tampa was very slow and compared to a snooze fest.

As fans we expect our team to play all out every game. In reality watching them in person Thursday night it appeared as though they were playing out a string of games. That said Tampa didn't do anything special to win that game other than capitalize on three errors in the game. Boston the few times when they actually applied themselves controlled the play and took the game to Tampa; but there wasn't any urgency to do that all game. I was hoping to see that constant attack with out sitting back that was talked about earlier in the season; but instead they played a typical conservative road game.

Everything team in the league is going to be gunning to knock Boston off. Boston, meanwhile, is (already) playing to finish out the season (or subconsciously looking forward to the week long break) ... at least their body language/play appeared that way. Can't really blame them they are human ... even as pros it can be tough to stay motivated with such a large lead and knowing you are almost guaranteed a playoff spot.

This is a really good team, the danger here out is - complacency, avoiding bad habits, staying healthy, motivated and focused on their ultimate goal. We may see many more games like these last two the remainder of the season.
Bruins could have easily won both games in Florida (both games were very much unlucky) but over the course of an 82 game season there will be games like these. (Remember the game in Arizona?)

Good post. Even below their best, the Bruins were competitive in Tampa and carried a lot of the play against a desperate Panthers team for most of the first 2 periods. They score even once on their multiple PPs and other opportunities they created, and they most likely win the game. Not to be. Definitely there are things to work on (and tweaking that stuttering offense is one of them), and a freshen up is much-needed, but they're far from a genuine slump or major issues.

What does the team need to look and play like to be a true Cup contender and playoffs beast? That's the most important question now.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
In an 82 game season a slump ( or two) is inevitable

Tonight the Bs looked both tired and disinterested...and paid the price. Frankly they were fortunate to get a point.

Carolina has to be licking their respective chops after a comeback win Friday night and today off ...it could be an ugly game for the Bs.

the game I am pointing to is Toronto....head up north, take the W, go on break on positive note and come back ready to build up momentum during the regular season and hit the playoffs on all cylinders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad