Post-Game Talk: GAME #49: Canucks def. Sabres - 4-3 (Edler, Baertschi, Boeser, Eriksson) - Demko 1st Star, 36 saves

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
What a massive third period for Demko, he's going to be a number 1 goaltender in this league.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think Demko deserved 1st star here but doesn't CHeech pick these stars? How did Granlund get 1st star the other game and Marky wasn't a star at all?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A huge win so close to playoffs in the west so that is exciting! :)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We got outplayed badly but kudos to the boys for pulling it out. That the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

We outplayed Buffalo last time and lost (blew a two goal lead with limited time left) and so it was nice to get revenge and win in a similar undeserving fashion.

Congrats Thatcher!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Tanev and Edler need to be Canucks for life.

Whether you want playoffs now or playoffs in 2 yrs these guys are the foundation of the team . Sooo good

It would set us back years if we moved these guys and we would spend those years hoping to draft and develop players like them.

Im all for keeping these 2 studs.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Very pleased with Demko tonight.

Looking at AHL highlights and from pre-season, I can't help but come to the conclusion that Clark has worked some small miracles here in the what ... two weeks since he got called up?

No more late set (he wouldn't get ready until the play was past the faceoff circle before) which is already a huge improvement IMO.

Tracking seems better, he is moving his head more and letting it lead his body. As a result he is way less awkward in his movement. In the pre-season several times he would thrust whatever body part he could just straight towards the puck, while his head would still be looking in the direction the play had come from. None of that tonight.

Speaking of movement, not once did I see him try a straight-across slide even under pressure in this game - he slid towards the posts every time, which helped him make those lateral saves on the PPs including the head save.

He only had 1-2 poor pushes the entire game, he had bad ones almost every play during the pre-seasons. IMO this is a result of improving the issues I listed above. Also his edgework is much improved and definitely smoother than what I remember.

His general depth is a good mix, and he kept his feet better. He does have a lean to his glove side and goes down into post integration too early on that side (he did it about 6 times this game) and this absolutely needs fixing but it's minor compared to all the other improvements.

As I said earlier, Demko is very similar to Marky so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the changes Clark has made with Marky have had similar effects on Demko. I just didn't think it would be this fast.

Here's hoping he can keep it up and keep developing. Very excited for this player - also the cherry on top for me personally is that he is just a way more stylish gear guy than Marky.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
On a team that has been “rebuilding” for like 5 years

A successful rebuild will take 5-7 years. This team started rebuilding in 2014 when Luongo was traded. trade deadline 2019 to trade deadline 2021 will be the true test in seeing if our rebuild was a successful one in my opinion.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Tanev and Edler need to be Canucks for life.

Whether you want playoffs now or playoffs in 2 yrs these guys are the foundation of the team . Sooo good

It would set us back years if we moved these guys and we would spend those years hoping to draft and develop players like them.

Im all for keeping these 2 studs.

Relying on a 34 year old and broken down 31 year old seems like a fool proof plan.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not the prettiest win, although I’d say the team’s effort improved dramatically in periods 2 and 3 after a dismal first. A strong outting front Demko, actually capitalizing on some chances and finally having our first line get off the schneid and contribute all made a big difference. Hopefully this game serves as a slump buster for Horvat and Boeser.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
A successful rebuild will take 5-7 years. This team started rebuilding in 2014 when Luongo was traded. trade deadline 2019 to trade deadline 2021 will be the true test in seeing if our rebuild was a successful one in my opinion.

Why? We already know our pro scouting is shit. It isn’t getting better when we need to compete.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lucky win. Team was absolutely awful, dominated in terms of possession, shots, and chances.

- Demko was very good. 2nd goal was weak but otherwise was excellent. Moved well, looked more confident as the game went on.

- Leivo had his best game as a Canuck by a mile. On one hand, impressive. On the other hand, why hasn’t he moved his feet like this at any other point?

- Tanev-Edler massive as usual. Tanev the best Canuck yet again. Eichel did nothing except when they got him out there against Gudbranson.

- Hutton - not surprisingly - suddenly looks heaps better defensively when separated from Gudbranson. Good performance for him.

- Gudbranson ... ugh. That pairing spent pretty much the entire night pinned in their zone and were dreadful aside from Pouliot’s miracle assist.

- Horvat had 2 assists and won a lot of faceoffs but isn’t skating well and had a brutal giveaway on the 2-2 goal.

- Boeser was benched/dropped down the lineup and deservedly so. Completely crap defensive effort. Zero engagement, just standing still watching opposing players walk in for scoring chances. Needs to make huge improvements. Really disappointing and has been crap without Pettersson carrying him.

- did Schaller and Granlund play?

- Sutter is just awful right now and looks to have aged 10 years from the player we saw last year. Skating horribly.

- this was a game where the team could’ve used some spark from Roussel but he was extremely quiet.

- Virtanen has been really poor since Xmas and you hoped that altercation with Skinner would get him into the game ... but not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad