Post-Game Talk: GAME #49: Canucks def. Sabres - 4-3 (Edler, Baertschi, Boeser, Eriksson) - Demko 1st Star, 36 saves

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Having 2 people out of 150 include him on their ballot for a 23rd place finish is not ‘in the running for a Selke’ or even close. Come on.

Disagree, he got multiple top 3 votes. Thats plenty enough for me to say hes in the running. Definitely not a favorite but he was in there.

Like i said tho, whats the big deal w. The wording? Why u so sensitive to it ? Whats the agenda ?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Havent looked but did hyman get top 3 selke votes? If he did then awesome he can officially be said yo have been in the running for a selke.

Whats the problem here ?

No but Colton sissons, zucker, pageau, have, are they selke level defenders in your mind?

The issue is your agenda to prop up benning signings, he’s a solid defensive player but very replaceable

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kinda shocked at Leivo's skill level at times. Some of his dangles with the puck make you think he could be a legit top-six forward in the making. But you can plug and play him anywhere up and down the lineup.

Was deemed expendable in TO by the return of Nylander, who's struggling horribly. Have to chalk up this one as a solid trading win for Jimbo.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Your nit-picking.

I said he was in the running for Selke. If he was in the ballot and got votes as high as 3rd doesnt that mean hes in the running ?

Whats the problem here

Do you understand how ranked ballots work? Or that local team journalists often throw nepotistic votes towards players on teams they covered?

Reactions: geebaan

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
No but Colton sissons, zucker, pageau, have, are they selke level defenders in your mind?

The issue is your agenda to prop up benning signings, he’s a solid defensive player but very replaceable

My prop up of benning signings? Lmao did you even read the post your referencing.

I said Eriksson is rightfully getting criticized.

Does every comment on the board revolve around Benning to you?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Disagree, he got multiple top 3 votes. Thats plenty enough for me to say hes in the running. Definitely not a favorite but he was in there.

Like i said tho, whats the big deal w. The wording? Why u so sensitive to it ? Whats the agenda ?
It's like saying Jeb Bush was truly in the running to be president in 2016 because he had a few supporters lol

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
No one is offended. You're getting defensive.

You posted something that was a stretch, and people disagreed.

Then you got super defensive and even went on the offensive.

Got defensive ? Im the one asking why people are sensitive with miniscule wording such as "in the running" while other posters have u unsurprisingly made it about Benning.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Kinda shocked at Leivo's skill level at times. Some of his dangles with the puck make you think he could be a legit top-six forward in the making. But you can plug and play him anywhere up and down the lineup.

Was deemed expendable in TO by the return of Nylander, who's struggling horribly. Have to chalk up this one as a solid trading win for Jimbo.

Fantastic fabtastic trade!!

Add to that, Carconce is getting healthy scratched w Marlies and Utica has dome better since he left.

We legit got a top 9 player for an AHL player. Bravo

Reactions: nucks88

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Got defensive ? Im the one asking why people are sensitive with miniscule wording such as "in the running" while other posters have u unsurprisingly made it about Benning.
Legit no one is sensitive about you. You posted something on a public message board that was a stretch and then got surprised when people disagreed.

Wow! What a surprise! Everyone is just triggered and out to get you and only you!

H@8erz

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hypothetically if we do end up making the playoffs somehow, can we play Q. Hughes for the final 8 games plus the playoffs without burning a year off his ELC?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Was Josh Manson ‘in the running’ for a Norris Trophy last year?

Yes or no answer please.

Dont know the votes. If he got votes in top 3 then yes he was in the running.

I dont think me and u have the same definition of "in the running " .. and it still puzzles me why its so important to you.

All i said was Eriksson was in the running for Selke...nowhere did i.mention that he was a patrice bergeron or kopitar level which you seem to be defining what " in the running " means

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Legit no one is sensitive about you. You posted something on a public message board that was a stretch and then got surprised when people disagreed.

Wow! What a surprise! Everyone is just triggered and out to get you and only you!

H@8erz

I agree peeps are triggered by a wording..

Lmao they out here researching Josh Manson, Colton Sissons etc.

The hate for Eriksson/Benning must be deeper than i thought.

Sensitivity alert is high

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dont know the votes. If he got votes in top 3 then yes he was in the running.

I dont think me and u have the same definition of "in the running " .. and it still puzzles me why its so important to you.

All i said was Eriksson was in the running for Selke...nowhere did i.mention that he was a patrice bergeron or kopitar level which you seem to be defining what " in the running " means

Jesus Christ, man.

You either got something wrong (which happens) or made something up and when it was corrected instead of saying ‘whoops, my bad’ have doubled down on your ridiculous statement and are just making yourself look like a fool.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Hypothetically if we do end up making the playoffs somehow, can we play Q. Hughes for the final 8 games plus the playoffs without burning a year off his ELC?

No, I think if hes signed out of college I believe his contract doesn't slide a year if he signs right away. I mean think he could wait until after deadline then sign a contract? but then he would lose valuable game time to learn what to improve for next year.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Carcone was always an AHL player.
You nailed it. Fantastic trade!!! lol. There are 2 reasons why Leivo is a Canuck, and neither has anything to do with Benning doing a good job. Firstly, Leivo and the Leafs had a verbal agreement that he would be moved if they couldn't get him icetime. 2nd, Benning fumbled his way to a piss-poor roster that had by far the most opportunity for Leivo, out of all the teams in the league.

Just a recap for the Benning [MOD]:

Toronto phoned Benning offering him up for nothing. Benning put together a putrid team that had ample room for other teams' castoffs. So don't get all high and mighty over Benning being given a handout

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Jesus Christ, man.

You either got something wrong (which happens) or made something up and when it was corrected instead of saying ‘whoops, my bad’ have doubled down on your ridiculous statement and are just making yourself look like a fool.

Nah he never gets anything wrong. He’s an insider. Said EP40 “won’t even miss a game” and “Shaller is 100% getting waived”.

Neither happened. Don’t even bother with this guy. Let him believe Loui F***ing Erikson is a Selke candidate. :laugh:

Reactions: vanuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
First off. Congrats to Thatcher Demko. NHL career is off and running and i was pretty impressed at his ability to step up and make some big saves at key moments. Still has plenty to work on but looks to have a nice career ahead of him. 1st star and deserved it as we were outshot severely.

Horvat Baertschi Boeser - were good in the offensive zone but were getting hemmed in the defensive zone too often. Boeser was standing around watching too much in our zone but offensively made some good smart plays in transition and finished a good forecheck with a good goal. Baertschi was quiet outside his goal and you have to give him some credit for the screen on Edlers. Greens insistance of having Pouliot and Gudbranson on the ice with this trio was having a big negative effect on the line being able to transition forward. Horvat was 17 - 7 in faceoffs, a plus 2, picked up a couple helpers and 2nd star in a solid effort for him.

Sutter Roussel Virtanen - This line was extremely disinterested in pushing forward with any kind of purpose and seemed content to play on their heels and contain. Provided barely any offensive push at all and Sutter especially looked on cruise mode and barely broke a sweat. 1 shot all game.....extremely pedestrian.

Beagle Eriksson Motte - had an excellent game. Beagle was really engaged in this one and had lots of pace and compete all over the ice. Looked like the challenge of playing Eichels line had them hopping. Motte similarily was flying and doing an excellent job both on the forecheck and with backpressure disrupting the Sabres top trio. Eriksson is playing some good hockey right now was getting sticks in lanes and finished off a beauty play from Leivo for the game winner.

Granlund Schaller Leivo - Granlund and Schaller were complete no shows again. Schaller is one of the most frustrating players i have watched in a while here. I was at the game live tonight and his reluctance to finish a check twice saw Buffalo come away with a easy clear and a transiton in the neutral zone. If i coached this team he would never see the ice again if he wasn't a complete menace to play against. Josh Leivo in complete contrast was absolutely an impact player tonight. I really like this aquisition. His hands and shot are really really good and lately his anticipation and skating are starting to make him very dangerous. Had a 1/4 of our shot attempts tonight and his set up to Eriksson for the winner was a thing of beauty.

Edler Tanev - are on a roll right now and give this team a huge boost by containing top lines game after game. Edler in particular is playing some of his best hockey lately and looks like he's got tonnes left in the tank. Especially like his physical game and he almost sent Dahlin into the next orbit when he came cutting accross the middle. Goal was a laser. Tanev is such a glue guy....barely puts a step wrong defensively and transitions so well.

Hutton Stecher - What a difference without Gudbranson. Hutton can hinge with Stech and both can push forward with enough accuracy and quickness to put teams on their heels instead of Gudbranson deferring to Hutton and then teams being able to angle off BHs options. The gaps in the NHL game get closed so quickly and having 2 guys who can do this makes such a noticeable difference. Stecher is having a very good bounce back year along with Hutton and this is significant.

Pouliot Gudbranson - ohhh boy. How do i stay reasonable with these 2? I had really good seats just inside our blueline for 2 periods and watching the difference in speed and anticipation and how Buffalo was able to get these 2 to cough up pucks or hurry enough for inefficient break outs was pretty demoralizing. Pouliot had his one moment of glory with the Baertschi feed but mostly it was these 2 killing shifts with Horvats line trying to get a puck back that they turned over or just couldn't make a good play to get it going the other way on the tape.

Lastly Travis Green - i dont normally like nit picking the coach too much because its easy to second guess after the fact and i have been pretty satisfied with Travis, but this team has seemed to developed a tendency to come out flat to start games and tonight it was especially awful. I really hate the fact that in our building we defer to teams and have to start our checking line and I also am growing frustrated by the Goldobin benchings with Scahller being completely useless. The Roussel choice in the shootout with Sutter and Virtanen sitting? I know we are limited with the roster we have but why the hell are we playing not to lose all of a sudden

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Watched Dalhen as much as possible and you can see even for a young player he is solid and steady. However, I did not see the kind of upper end speed or or skill that I expected from such a ballyhooed
prospect. Superlatives last year were over the top. He is young and no doubt he develops into a very good defensemen. But I don't see any Erik Karlssen wheels or vision here. Be interesting to him how he and Hughes wind up.

Based on this game alone, yeah he didn't do anything.

In other games I've seen him though (the Edmonton game for example), he absolutely is that type of d-man that's all over the ice and creating grade A scoring chances every other shift, while still getting back in position and playing very capable defense. I think he'll turn out to be a better version of Hedman.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Watched Dalhen as much as possible and you can see even for a young player he is solid and steady. However, I did not see the kind of upper end speed or or skill that I expected from such a ballyhooed
prospect. Superlatives last year were over the top. He is young and no doubt he develops into a very good defensemen. But I don't see any Erik Karlssen wheels or vision here. Be interesting to him how he and Hughes wind up.

You mean Dahlin, right?

Erik Karlsson wasn't even in the NHL at Dahlin's age, let alone playing 25 minutes against the other team's top lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad