Post-Game Talk: GAME #49: Canucks def. Sabres - 4-3 (Edler, Baertschi, Boeser, Eriksson) - Demko 1st Star, 36 saves

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Dont know the votes. If he got votes in top 3 then yes he was in the running.

I dont think me and u have the same definition of "in the running " .. and it still puzzles me why its so important to you.

All i said was Eriksson was in the running for Selke...nowhere did i.mention that he was a patrice bergeron or kopitar level which you seem to be defining what " in the running " means

There's probably 50-100 current NHL players that meet that definition for in the running for the Selke. So if you're trying to say that Eriksson was a top 50 defensive forward in his prime, sure I'd agree with that.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I agree peeps are triggered by a wording..

Unless you think that 25 players can be said to be "in the running" for the Selke every year, what you said was unreasonable. People disagreed with you. On a discussion forum, that happens. Rub some dirt on it and move on.

Playoffs: Edm and Min still have games in hand in the chase for the last spot, so we're still in tough to make it, and in general we're being helped by how mediocre the middle tier in the West is (we would not be jockeying for a playoff spot if we were in the East). That said, we tankers have to admit that being around .500 at this point is better than we expected to be. (if Erickson was "in the running" for the Selke then EP40 should be "in the running" for the Hart).

This is unfortunate because it delays the moment when Benning gets fired (this team will never contend with him at the helm because he is not capable of making good decisions consistently enough to build a winner - even a blind pig can find a truffle once in a while), reduces the quality of the prospect we get this year, and even (God help us) gets Benning thinking about being a *buyer*. All this for an outside chance of getting curbstomped by the Jets in April.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
Lucky win. Team was absolutely awful, dominated in terms of possession, shots, and chances.

- Demko was very good. 2nd goal was weak but otherwise was excellent. Moved well, looked more confident as the game went on.

- Leivo had his best game as a Canuck by a mile. On one hand, impressive. On the other hand, why hasn’t he moved his feet like this at any other point?

- Tanev-Edler massive as usual. Tanev the best Canuck yet again. Eichel did nothing except when they got him out there against Gudbranson.

- Hutton - not surprisingly - suddenly looks heaps better defensively when separated from Gudbranson. Good performance for him.

- Gudbranson ... ugh. That pairing spent pretty much the entire night pinned in their zone and were dreadful aside from Pouliot’s miracle assist.

- Horvat had 2 assists and won a lot of faceoffs but isn’t skating well and had a brutal giveaway on the 2-2 goal.

- Boeser was benched/dropped down the lineup and deservedly so. Completely crap defensive effort. Zero engagement, just standing still watching opposing players walk in for scoring chances. Needs to make huge improvements. Really disappointing and has been crap without Pettersson carrying him.

- did Schaller and Granlund play?

- Sutter is just awful right now and looks to have aged 10 years from the player we saw last year. Skating horribly.

- this was a game where the team could’ve used some spark from Roussel but he was extremely quiet.

- Virtanen has been really poor since Xmas and you hoped that altercation with Skinner would get him into the game ... but not so much.
Horvat had a solid game, yes he had the giveaway but nobody plays a perfect mistake free game, even EP! Also, I thought Horvats skating was fine considering on Thursday it was unknown if he would play because of a charley horse in his leg!

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
When the announcers said we were back in a playoff spot, my only thought was "Goddamnit"

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
You nailed it. Fantastic trade!!! lol. There are 2 reasons why Leivo is a Canuck, and neither has anything to do with Benning doing a good job. Firstly, Leivo and the Leafs had a verbal agreement that he would be moved if they couldn't get him icetime. 2nd, Benning fumbled his way to a piss-poor roster that had by far the most opportunity for Leivo, out of all the teams in the league.

Just a recap for the Benning [MOD]:

Toronto phoned Benning offering him up for nothing. Benning put together a putrid team that had ample room for other teams' castoffs. So don't get all high and mighty over Benning being given a handout

I am not a Benning supporter but let’s keep things fair and balanced. If Benning is going to be trashed for his bad moves then credit has to be given for his good moves. You can’t hate on his mistakes and then when he does something positive say he had nothing to do with it or it was handed to him.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Game of big momentum shifts. Canucks got totally dominated early but gradually got things evened up with a tired Sabre team. Doubt Vancouver matched up talent wise but good team system sort of held things together. Also Canucks able to pounce on some mistakes by a not very good Buffalo defense (or goalie at times) and score against the run of the game.

Good

Stecher - has obviously stepped up play recently. Very good about jumping on check and getting puck or breaking up plays. Hopefully we are seeing the evolution of this player into really decent NHL player. Improvement has seen Green up Stecher's ice time. Lots of bailing out partners in this game.

Tanev - strong per usual. Him and Edler are increasing difficult to play against and are, with Markstorm, probably the main reason the Canucks remain so competitive.

Levio - plays like this all the time and he might start getting all star consideration. Was very strong off the rush, banging people off the puck, maintaining possession and on the back check. Ticked all the boxes in this game. Did like how he made any line he was on better.

Eriksson - beyond goal (which was mainly about Levio) he was getting his stick in all game and like other Canucks forcing the play to the outside. Apparently has found his role as a checker on this team.

Motte - might epitomize the Canuck season. Player never expected to make the team just like the Cauucks were never going to make the playoffs. Player that survives on hustle and and playing well with in the system like the Canucks have to win as a team and can't rely on seasoned, super talent to bail them out. In this game Motte was again best of the muckers

Not Good

Boeser - real bad in his zone at times. Had maybe had two good shifts but more a liability than a positive tonight on many shifts. Yet somehow scores.

Pouliot - never know what you are going to get. Maybe a real nice pass or good move like on the 2nd goal or maybe, and even more likely, getting knocked off the puck or giving up the puck in his zone to force the goalie into a save. When he got caught in the wrong match ups in this game Canucks were in deep trouble.

Others

Granlund - went totally off the radar in this one and disappeared into the ether. Hard to assess play when he is so rarely in it. Saw some uptick in intensity when Sabre's pulled goalie

Sutter - given some tough match ups and didn't come thru that well (-2) Just zero in term so of offensive play. Give him some credit for being ok on the PK

Virtanen - sometimes looks like he about to do something but then doesn't. Still very little finish around the net. Has improved his attention to defense and is somewhat more careful and competent at puck movement but like to see more point production. I think this is the player that we are left with as his improvement has seemingly plateaued

Beagle - line was better. Showed some vet presence in this game - is providing that to the team.

Demko - nice to see the win. Played well enough but still felt like Markstrom might have had some of the goals. (although that's based on the super play of Markstrom of late). Still getting his feet wet and not looking out of place.

Watched Dalhen as much as possible and you can see even for a young player he is solid and steady. However, I did not see the kind of upper end speed or or skill that I expected from such a ballyhooed
prospect. Superlatives last year were over the top. He is young and no doubt he develops into a very good defensemen. But I don't see any Erik Karlssen wheels or vision here. Be interesting to him how he and Hughes wind up.

I always appreciate the thought and time you put into you posts. Bring a ton of value to this forum.

However, I think you missed the mark completely on Dahlin. I thought, particularly in the second half of the game, he was the most dangerous Sabre on the ice. Skates a lot like Hughes, is 6'3, and has so much swagger every time he touches the puck. While he doesn't have the top end speed of Karlsson, I think his edgework is better. And let's not forget this kid is only 18 frickin years old. He is going to be a Norris contender for well over a decade and is that do-it-all franchise defenseman that every team craves.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I always appreciate the thought and time you put into you posts. Bring a ton of value to this forum.

However, I think you missed the mark completely on Dahlin. I thought, particularly in the second half of the game, he was the most dangerous Sabre on the ice. Skates a lot like Hughes, is 6'3, and has so much swagger every time he touches the puck. While he doesn't have the top end speed of Karlsson, I think his edgework is better. And let's not forget this kid is only 18 frickin years old. He is going to be a Norris contender for well over a decade and is that do-it-all franchise defenseman that every team craves.

Agreed, he looked gas, thought that headshot on Demko was going in for sure

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Very impressed with Josh Leivo, fantastic player. Possesses grit and skill, has good hockey IQ, fits like a glove on any line.

Canucks Record with Leivo in the lineup

17 games: 11-4-2

He’s shown all of the stuff that makes him appealing, and unappealing, at the same time. The Leafs fans who advertised him as being good along the boards and possessing a good shot were correct. I’d also add that I’m pleasantly surprised at his puck handling ability - specifically, his ability to manoeuvre through traffic.

That said, he shoots the puck from everywhere, when sometimes a pass would serve him better. And his wheels - while decent - aren’t great. And his defensive game is lacking as well.

I’d describe him as a poor man’s Mikael Samuelsson. He’s been a solid contributor for this team this year, and good value back in the trade with Toronto - but IMO, he will be a bubble player to make the team this fall, as well.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Awe.. missed a Demko start!
And Victory!
Good on the guy.
Good on the team...
I guess instead of asking how we did, I'll scroll back and read the jubilation.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well Loui with his 30th goal as a Canuck!
It looks like he’s finally turned into that two way 30 goal scorer we were promised when he signed.
:sarcasm:

Hopefully he’s able to go on one of his little streaks. Over the past three seasons, he’s had a few of these 10-game or so streaks where he suddenly pots some goals and puts up some points. They end with him fading back into his defensive role or getting injured, usually.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
You nailed it. Fantastic trade!!! lol. There are 2 reasons why Leivo is a Canuck, and neither has anything to do with Benning doing a good job. Firstly, Leivo and the Leafs had a verbal agreement that he would be moved if they couldn't get him icetime. 2nd, Benning fumbled his way to a piss-poor roster that had by far the most opportunity for Leivo, out of all the teams in the league.

Just a recap for the Benning [MOD]:

Toronto phoned Benning offering him up for nothing. Benning put together a putrid team that had ample room for other teams' castoffs. So don't get all high and mighty over Benning being given a handout
There should be a Benning hate thread where all the posts that have Benning hate comments can moved and they can talk sbout that among themselves.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Practice lines this morning:

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Granlund
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte

Extras: Schaller, Goldobin, Kero

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Biega.