Post-Game Talk: GAME #49: Canucks def. Sabres - 4-3 (Edler, Baertschi, Boeser, Eriksson) - Demko 1st Star, 36 saves

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah still a long way to go yet..but if we could get rid of the Sutters and Granlunds and Pouliots for better upgrades I'm all for it.....
That is true, but it also means there is zero chance edler gets moved.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The experts predicted us to be completely out of the picture by the ASG..We just seem to be going from strength to strength..Pete,..Demko..next will be Hughes.....Funny ol' world innit...!?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
we are stuck in the middle of both winning and tanking so I don’t know what to feel.

There was a time not too long ago that Nashville and Calgary were in that same boat......just saying.

Perhaps it’s entirely possible for a team to become elite *witthout* having to be a bottom feeder for years upon years accumulating 1-3 OA’s.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Loui Eriksson gets a ton of flak, amd rightfully so for his drop off in points considering his contract

BuT the guy is still soo reliable defensively. People forget/dont know that Eriksson was in the running for the Selke when he was in Dallas.
Travis Green obviously trusts him and has him killing penalties and also had him out there protecting 1 goal leads with 1 min left.

His contract is bad no doubt...but he is galaxies away from being as bad as Lucic and his contract

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There was a time not too long ago that Nashville and Calgary were in that same boat......just saying.

Perhaps it’s entirely possible for a team to become elite *witthout* having to be a bottom feeder for years upon years accumulating 1-3 OA’s.

Yeha except, like I said, our pro scouting sucks. Nashville’s success is on the back of drafting and developing.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Loui Eriksson gets a ton of flak, amd rightfully so for his drop off in points considering his contract

BuT the guy is still soo reliable defensively. People forget/dont know that Eriksson was in the running for the Selke when he was in Dallas.
Travis Green obviously trusts him and has him killing penalties and also had him out there protecting 1 goal leads with 1 min left.

His contract is bad no doubt...but he is galaxies away from being as bad as Lucic and his contract

If he was making 1M no one would have any beef with him.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008

the only reason this team is remotely in a playoff position right now is
1 - The conference is dreadful
2 - EP40 went from being a potential star player in the future, to a Generation superstar player. (Oh and he is a #1 center, which we were desperate for).

It's actually quite remarkable that it's possible with the defense we have.
No true #1 D-man, no offensive D-man.
And a bunch of plugs after Edler/Tanev/Hutton basically.

Reactions: Canucks5551

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

His highest-ever Selke finish was 23rd in 2012 with two 3rd place votes out of 150 ballots.

He’s a solid enough defensive winger but let’s not make stuff up.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Team gets a lucky win after getting outshot nearly 2 to 1 by a team that's sitting 9th in the eastern conference and people think this is a legit playoff team lol.

Reactions: daddyohsix

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
His highest-ever Selke finish was 23rd in 2012 with two 3rd place votes out of 150 ballots.

He’s a solid enough defensive winger but let’s not make stuff up.

Your nit-picking.

I said he was in the running for Selke. If he was in the ballot and got votes as high as 3rd doesnt that mean hes in the running ?

Whats the problem here

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
673dc89863fd1da9d1bee3983da7b613.png

This is ridiculous.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
My great fear about the Canucks making the playoffs is Benning being over confident and trading away future assets.

Especially since his pro scouting has been garbage.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Your nit-picking.

I said he was in the running for Selke. If he was in the ballot and got votes as high as 3rd doesnt that mean hes in the running ?

Whats the problem here
Well then technically so was Zach Hyman.

Maybe we should trade for him and his Seleke caliber defensive play or maybe Pierre-edouard Bellamare

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
the only reason this team is remotely in a playoff position right now is
1 - The conference is dreadful
2 - EP40 went from being a potential star player in the future, to a Generation superstar player. (Oh and he is a #1 center, which we were desperate for).

It's actually quite remarkable that it's possible with the defense we have.
No true #1 D-man, no offensive D-man.
And a bunch of plugs after Edler/Tanev/Hutton basically.

1) Who cares if our Conference is dreadful? The bottom line is that the Canucks are in a position to compete for a playoff spot and so they have shown improvement.

a) Given the Canucks’ point totals, where would they rank in the Eastern Conference?
b) Is there a big discrepancy in terms of the Canucks’ winning percentage against teams in our conference relative to that of teams in other conferences?

2) Pettersson: It’s amazing how that works eh? I seem to recall a few years ago, Benning being raked over the coals for not going full tank mode and missing out on “can’t miss prospects” Patrick and Hischier. Where did we draft Quinn Hughes last year? What about Boeser in 2015? If there was a redraft in all of those drafts, where would they be selected?

3) Do you expect the additions of Hughes, Juolevi, and perhaps a returning Tryamkin to address our ‘plugged’ defense?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks schedule looks nice since they had such a road heavy front part of the season partly due to the WJC being in town.

They have 18 home games left. And 15 road games. They have a 7 game home stand in March which might do or die the playoffs hopes

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
1) Who cares if our Conference is dreadful? The bottom line is that the Canucks are in a position to compete for a playoff spot and so they have shown improvement.

a) Given the Canucks’ point totals, where would they rank in the Eastern Conference?
b) Is there a big discrepancy in terms of the Canucks’ winning percentage against teams in our conference relative to that of teams in other conferences?

2) Pettersson: It’s amazing how that works eh? I seem to recall a few years ago, Benning being raked over the coals for not going full tank mode and missing out on “can’t miss prospects” Patrick and Hischier. Where did we draft Quinn Hughes last year? What about Boeser in 2015? If there was a redraft in all of those drafts, where would they be selected?

3) Do you expect the additions of Hughes, Juolevi, and perhaps a returning Tryamkin to address our ‘plugged’ defense?
Hughes will make a big difference.
The other two is wait and see

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Well then technically so was Zach Hyman.

Maybe we should trade for him and his Seleke caliber defensive play or maybe Pierre-edouard Bellamare

Havent looked but did hyman get top 3 selke votes? If he did then awesome he can officially be said yo have been in the running for a selke.

Whats the problem here ?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bailed out in this game by a rookie goalie playing out of his mind.....and solid games from Horvat, Beagle, Leivo, Eriksson and Motte.

But that Canuck blueline was totally 'cringe-worthy' at times. Spent entire shifts just chasing and failing in clearance attempts. Pouliot and Gudbranson together are scarier than Svengoolie. Can't wait for Quinn Hughes.

Please...please... Pettersson for the next game!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Your nit-picking.

Whats the problem here

Having 2 people out of 150 include him on their ballot for a 23rd place finish is not ‘in the running for a Selke’ or even close. Come on.

Reactions: timw33

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game of big momentum shifts. Canucks got totally dominated early but gradually got things evened up with a tired Sabre team. Doubt Vancouver matched up talent wise but good team system sort of held things together. Also Canucks able to pounce on some mistakes by a not very good Buffalo defense (or goalie at times) and score against the run of the game.

Good

Stecher - has obviously stepped up play recently. Very good about jumping on check and getting puck or breaking up plays. Hopefully we are seeing the evolution of this player into really decent NHL player. Improvement has seen Green up Stecher's ice time. Lots of bailing out partners in this game.

Tanev - strong per usual. Him and Edler are increasing difficult to play against and are, with Markstorm, probably the main reason the Canucks remain so competitive.

Levio - plays like this all the time and he might start getting all star consideration. Was very strong off the rush, banging people off the puck, maintaining possession and on the back check. Ticked all the boxes in this game. Did like how he made any line he was on better.

Eriksson - beyond goal (which was mainly about Levio) he was getting his stick in all game and like other Canucks forcing the play to the outside. Apparently has found his role as a checker on this team.

Motte - might epitomize the Canuck season. Player never expected to make the team just like the Cauucks were never going to make the playoffs. Player that survives on hustle and and playing well with in the system like the Canucks have to win as a team and can't rely on seasoned, super talent to bail them out. In this game Motte was again best of the muckers

Not Good

Boeser - real bad in his zone at times. Had maybe had two good shifts but more a liability than a positive tonight on many shifts. Yet somehow scores.

Pouliot - never know what you are going to get. Maybe a real nice pass or good move like on the 2nd goal or maybe, and even more likely, getting knocked off the puck or giving up the puck in his zone to force the goalie into a save. When he got caught in the wrong match ups in this game Canucks were in deep trouble.

Others

Granlund - went totally off the radar in this one and disappeared into the ether. Hard to assess play when he is so rarely in it. Saw some uptick in intensity when Sabre's pulled goalie

Sutter - given some tough match ups and didn't come thru that well (-2) Just zero in term so of offensive play. Give him some credit for being ok on the PK

Virtanen - sometimes looks like he about to do something but then doesn't. Still very little finish around the net. Has improved his attention to defense and is somewhat more careful and competent at puck movement but like to see more point production. I think this is the player that we are left with as his improvement has seemingly plateaued

Beagle - line was better. Showed some vet presence in this game - is providing that to the team.

Demko - nice to see the win. Played well enough but still felt like Markstrom might have had some of the goals. (although that's based on the super play of Markstrom of late). Still getting his feet wet and not looking out of place.

Watched Dalhen as much as possible and you can see even for a young player he is solid and steady. However, I did not see the kind of upper end speed or or skill that I expected from such a ballyhooed
prospect. Superlatives last year were over the top. He is young and no doubt he develops into a very good defensemen. But I don't see any Erik Karlssen wheels or vision here. Be interesting to him how he and Hughes wind up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad