Post-Game Talk: GAME #47 - Canucks 5, Panthers 1 | See you when we see you, Bobby Lu

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
What happened with the last scrum at centre ? I was at the game, and was watching the goal replay then I saw ppl falling all over the place.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Yet, some see 1-1 going deep into the 3rd and think 'tight game'. Amazing.

Yeah it was a "tight" game when you look at the score but the team did play well. They didn't give up too many chances defensively. Everyone was in position. No major turn overs or gaffes. Just a smart game.

Greens not an idiot. He knows he's inherented a not so talented team. But he can't come out and say that to the media. All he can do is raise the level of confidence of the team. So his expectation level isn't that high cause he knows the team isn't a powerhouse.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Look on the bright side, at least you get to invent another arbitrary category for the purpose of discounting players you don't like. Remind us how few ES goals with a goalie in the first 59 minutes of the game after eating spaghetti Granlund has in the last 18.5 days, so we can talk about how terrible he is.

It’s amusing that you think ‘hasn’t scored a goal on a goalie in 20 games’ is inventing some sort of crrrrrrazy new-age nonsense stat to discredit this player.

Like, nobody is trying very hard to come up with the truckload of evidence that Granlund is a really, really bad player.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And people complain about Eriksson's contract .... o_O

Game for the plugs. Fortunately we have plenty to plug away with. In the end, one of the most boring games of the season. Two mediocre teams that both couldn't make two passes in a row. 5 - 1 result was obviously deceiving

Good

Markstrom - both goalies were excellent and had to be given the terrible turnovers right in front of their nets.

Stecher - one player that had some jump. Did a very good job of handling people off the rush.

Edler - probably the best defenseman on the ice. Playing a ton of hockey. Decisions need to be made here in terms of contract

Eriksson - more luck than skill but give him credit for hounding the puck.

Motte - this was his type of game. Just put your head down and skate and force turnovers.

Bad

Goldobin -no show in this one. Did nothing. Got the hook in the third.

Others

Boeser - seemed determined to knock Luongo's head off. Generally ineffective.

Hutton - improved after he scored. Seemed better away from Gudbranson

Levio - had some good shifts and created some offense. Wonder if he gets suspended for next game.

Granlund - never can find him until opposition pulls goalie or we get into garbage time - then he explodes......It's unbelievable when you look at the score sheet and see he's gotten a lot of minutes when you have never seen him in the play. Very stealthy player - like you never see him.

Horvat - in spite of win, IMO it looks like the team has lost some of its focus or edge and, to me, Horvat is the best example of this.

Canucks get a bazooka shot up the tanks wazoo by winning this one.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It’s amusing that you think ‘hasn’t scored a goal on a goalie in 20 games’ is inventing some sort of crrrrrrazy new-age nonsense stat to discredit this player.

Like, nobody is trying very hard to come up with the truckload of evidence that Granlund is a really, really bad player.

They all count and every player (except EP) goes through scoring droughts. It's not even like Granlund is a core player or making a ton of money or anything but the way you single him out like he is is also amusing. He's a good swiss army knife who will ultimately lose his spot when the Lockwood/Madden caliber forward prospects are ready to jump into the NHL or an enticing upgrade comes available via free agent or trade. Guarantee you there's no functional difference between him and filler like Gaunce / Richardson / etc. Actually I take that back, he's better than those guys.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They all count and every player (except EP) goes through scoring droughts. It's not even like Granlund is a core player or making a ton of money or anything but the way you single him out like he is is also amusing. He's a good swiss army knife who will ultimately lose his spot when the Lockwood/Madden caliber forward prospects are ready to jump into the NHL or an enticing upgrade comes available via free agent or trade. Guarantee you there's no functional difference between him and filler like Gaunce / Richardson / etc. Actually I take that back, he's better than those guys.

He’s a bad Swiss Army knife who is small, slow, soft, lazy, horrific offensively, bad defensively, the worst PK guy in the NHL, horrible on the PP, horrible on faceoffs, and hurts the team pretty much every night.

Like, the numbers have been presented here time and again. There is no argument that he’s a good player. He’s a minor-leaguer being trotted out for 17 minutes every night to the detriment of the team.

Also, while they might count the same in the stat column, no, an EN goal is not worth the same as a goal scored during the run of play.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He’s a bad Swiss Army knife who is small, slow, soft, lazy, horrific offensively, bad defensively, the worst PK guy in the NHL, horrible on the PP, horrible on faceoffs, and hurts the team pretty much every night.

Like, the numbers have been presented here time and again. There is no argument that he’s a good player. He’s a minor-leaguer being trotted out for 17 minutes every night to the detriment of the team.

Also, while they might count the same in the stat column, no, an EN goal is not worth the same as a goal scored during the run of play.

He's bad defensively? Did you know Granlund has the fewest giveaways per 60 minutes in the entire NHL?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Giveaways are a terrible, terrible stat.

Is Nikolai Goldobin a better defensive player than Anze Kopitar, then?

Giveaways doesn't tell you the whole story but it is quite impressive to lead the league in that category. For every time Markus Granlund gives away the puck he takes it away over 6 times. How can you call that bad defensively? He's a reliable player just admit it.

Kopitar is having the worst year of his career and no small reason why LA is playing as poorly as they are. Based on history Kopitar is obviously the better player but in terms of the way he's playing defensively this year, if you look at the giveaway & takeaway numbers, he's doing about as well as Goldobin except he's playing 1C minutes and Goldobin is usually playing 2LW minutes. Given that you'd expect Kopitar to commit more turnovers due to being on the ice 50% more than Goldobin and as a center you have the puck more in addition to this, their numbers are pretty similar when you'd expect Kopitar's numbers to be worse if they were equally good defensively. Given that context Kopitar is still better defensively than Goldobin this year but not by some huge margin like it should be. Again he's having a bad year.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Went to my first game in a while:

Gudbranson and Pouliot are even worse in person... With Benning, Green, etc. and co. watching every game, it's hard to believe that they actually think they are passable NHL defenders.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After a back and forth first period, this game settled down. Basically terrible for the last two periods. Panthers are in the throes of four games in six nights, and looked it, From the Canucks standpoint, the absence of Pettersson makes this team look much like it did in Willie's dead puck era.

Pettersson would have wracked up five points easily in a sloppy game like this. Green is no dummy. He must see how his team plays with and sans Petttersson. You'd think he'd be a loss less cavalier about other teams taking liberties with his best player. Because without Elias, this team hasn't a hope in hell of staying in the playoff race, despite tonight's result.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
After a back and forth first period, this game settled down. Basically terrible for the last two periods. Panthers are in the throes of four games in six nights, and looked it, From the Canucks standpoint, the absence of Pettersson makes this team look much like it did in Willie's dead puck era.

Pettersson would have wracked up five points easily in a sloppy game like this. Green is no dummy. He must see how his team plays with and sans Petttersson. You'd think he'd be a loss less cavalier about other teams taking liberties with his best player. Because without Elias, this team hasn't a hope in hell of staying in the playoff race, despite tonight's result.

I hate to say this because I really do hate Matheson but that hit he made on Pettersson was borderline if you look at the precedents and the history of the NHL, what has gone unsuspended and uncalled, lots of people didnt even think it was a 2 minute penalty, it was lucky Matheson even got a suspension. Hockey is a rough physical game still. When a borderline hit is made on your player it's a lot different than something that's clearly dirty. When we see something like what Marchand did to Salo with clear intent to injure then we will truly see how the Canucks respond and stick up for eachother. Not on borderline shit like the Matheson hit or the Kotkaniemi hit.

Reactions: Nomobo

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Eriksson created a golden chance, and luck or a bad play by the defense, or whatever, that was the game deciding play.

Pouliot and Gudbranson weren't as terrible as I expected. Gud's fight made him look to Benning like money well spent.

Horvat and company seemed to be non-factors compared to their usual play. He and Boeser gave me a lot of "Oh...oh...oh!....eh...." moments. A point each isn't a bad outing, even if it is from empty net goals.

Hutton and Stecher were better than I expected to be. Edler and Tanev (who were effective) could be mixed up with them and I think we could actually have a temporarily functional top four.

The Granlund goal had that look from Lu of "I don't get paid enough to do this" look to him when it went in. I hope he doesn't retire soon, but he didn't look happy to end the game.

If this is what we can expect as an "emotional response" after the whole "Matheson Thing", we could be in trouble. The physicality and what not not withstanding, I felt the game was rather flat. It's a win, and I'll take it, but it wasn't one I thought we necessarily deserved or even wanted.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
First goal in 12 games, and it comes in garbage time. His other goal before this streak started? Empty net goal..to make it 5-1. It’s been 20 games since he has actually scored a meaningful goal that meant something to the game.

You must be so proud.

Same thing with Eriksson.

No points in forever, but plays in all situations including empty net. Gets a big 3 points with 2 assists on empty net goals. Will get a bunch of Travis love and won’t score points for the next 15 games.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What happened to Brocks shot, hitting dead centre and missing a one timer for an easy goal? If his goal was to knock Luongo senseless then maybe it worked.Thought he worked hard in this one but needed some precision.
Horvat was pretty solid but is still fighting the puck a little in the last few weeks
Baertschi's skating was sluggish and was pushed out of the play too easily. Does ooze creativity which is nice with Horvat but this line and the PP was pretty mediocre

Sutter Virtanen and Roussel were excellent. 17 shot attempts and 9 hits and disruptive on the forecheck all night. If any line deserved some of that empty net stat pack it was these guys

Granlund Goldobin Leivo. Granlund was passable in this one. Goldobin just keeps finding a way to piss off Green....penalty was just so lazy and dumb. Leivo i really like so far. Has a decent grit component and his shot and hands are really good

Beagle Eriksson Motte did an excellent job playing with the lead. All did their jobs really well and i really liked Beagles push back.

Edler Tanev as per usual are playing solid

Hutton looked like a new man away from Guddy although it took him a little while to start moving the puck quicker...some of his bad habits from past years re appear from time to time. Nice goal
Stecher was really good. A couple nice physical plays along the walls and a really smart play to set up Hutton for his rebound goal. Big improvement in our top4 just like that.

Gudbranson in a 3rd pairing role is so much more palatable especially if he's gonna play with an edge. Pouliot was actually throwing some nice darts in transition today. Florida isn't much of an offensive engine so these 2 werent getting punished as they will against teams with depth and last change

Markstrom was excellent

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Thats funny ...you said he was the reincarnation of Dallas Eakins a month ago....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad