Post-Game Talk: GAME #47 - Canucks 5, Panthers 1 | See you when we see you, Bobby Lu

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The Western conference playoff race sure is something

Conf. rankTeamPoint paceGoal difference
6Dallas89-1
7Minnesota88-1
8Colorado87+7
9Anaheim84-28
10Vancouver82-12
11Edmonton82-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yikes. Whether you like it or not, there's a good chance this team is still in the playoff conversation in March/April. Although that's more telling about the fringe teams in the west being overloaded with mediocrity, seeing as the Canucks, by pretty much any way you look at it, still are not a very good team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As much as I dislike Granlund, Lu was in goal for Granlund's goal this time around.

I'd say he is more like king of the garbage time goals? Like when is the last time Granlund scored when it wasn't an EN or when the game winner was already scored?

20 games ago

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

6Dallas89-1
7Minnesota88-1
8Colorado87+7
9Anaheim84-28
10Vancouver82-12
11Edmonton82-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yikes. Whether you like it or not, there's a good chance this team is still in the playoff conversation in March/April. Although that's more telling about the fringe teams in the west being overloaded with mediocrity, seeing as the Canucks, by pretty much any way you look at it, still are not a very good team.
Travis Yost,TSN...
"Look at Vancouver! The Canucks have faded of late – in no small part due to Elias Pettersson’s injury – but they are still in the playoff race at this point. That’s thanks to some of the points they banked early in the season, as well as the fact that the second tier of the Western Conference has underwhelmed this season. The Canucks have a sizable run of home games remaining on the schedule, which is mostly collinear with avoiding some of the league’s elite teams in the Pacific Division. There’s a chance for a run here, no doubt."

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
While granlund is no world beater . I feel the hate for him has been a bit crazy. He’s on pace for a 12 goal , 30 point season . Which is what he is. He’s not horrific defensively
Actually he is and he's only on pace for 12 goals because he has two empty netters.

The guy is 5th on the team in ice time per game by a forward and is putting up 30 points, that is brutal. He's inefficient and he's not good defensively.

I would love some sort of proof or evidence he's adequate defensively, because he's not and he's brutal on the PK, like worst regular PKer in the league type PKer.

There are bigger problems on the team than Granlund, but having players like this is how bad teams never move past mediocre.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
He’s a bad Swiss Army knife who is small, slow, soft, lazy, horrific offensively, bad defensively, the worst PK guy in the NHL, horrible on the PP, horrible on faceoffs, and hurts the team pretty much every night.

Like, the numbers have been presented here time and again. There is no argument that he’s a good player. He’s a minor-leaguer being trotted out for 17 minutes every night to the detriment of the team.

Also, while they might count the same in the stat column, no, an EN goal is not worth the same as a goal scored during the run of play.
Granlund is no world beater. Yeah, he's not that good. Sure. But tell me who should be in the line up ahead of him? Schaller? Do you think Green puts him in the line up because he has compromising photos? Or is he in the line up because Green believes he contributes more to the team than others who are in Utica or not in the line up? The fact he plays every game is more of a reflection of the lack of depth than bad coaching or player selection. I sure wish we had not traded Shinkaruk for him, we're really missing out!

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

6Dallas89-1
7Minnesota88-1
8Colorado87+7
9Anaheim84-28
10Vancouver82-12
11Edmonton82-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I still think we're one or two injuries away from sinking into a bottom feeder again. If any two of Markstrom, Tanev, Edler, Horvat, Boeser, or Pettersson get injured, we're likely losing the majority of our games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Granlund is no world beater. Yeah, he's not that good. Sure. But tell me who should be in the line up ahead of him? Schaller? Do you think Green puts him in the line up because he has compromising photos? Or is he in the line up because Green believes he contributes more to the team than others who are in Utica or not in the line up? The fact he plays every game is more of a reflection of the lack of depth than bad coaching or player selection. I sure wish we had not traded Shinkaruk for him, we're really missing out!
Sam Gagner is better. He has more points in 81 games these past two years on the Canucks than Granlund has in 100 games.

Gagner is legitimately a good NHL PP player, Granlund isn't.

Gagner has 172minutes on the PP for the Canucks, has 12 points, Granlund has 140minutes and 4 points.

Last year Darren Archibald played Granlund's exact position on the Sutter line after Granlund was injured, in a minute and a half less per game Archibald put up 9 points in 27 games, Granlund put up 12 in 53 games.

His position on the teram is upgradeable but for some reason they've decided a player who has put up 27 points in his last 100 NHL games getting top 6 minutes.

He's the least productive NHL player in the past two seasons who averages over 16 minutes a game and has played at least 100 games.

Reactions: WTG

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I had forgotten about Gagner! I agree with you - Gagner is an NHL calibre player and should be in the line-up (4th line ES; 2nd unit PP).

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Anyway, it's funny how actually a lot of us had forgotten about having Gagner. It's still puzzling how this management, who clearly does not want to deliberately tank the season, doesn't think Gagner would be better than some of the bottom-6ers we have on this team to help actually win games - particularly Schaller and Granlund, neither of which have a future here either so the rationale to play the younger core doesn't stand up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Anyway, it's funny how actually a lot of us had forgotten about having Gagner. It's still puzzling how this management, who clearly does not want to deliberately tank the season, doesn't think Gagner would be better than some of the bottom-6ers we have on this team to help actually win games - particularly Schaller and Granlund, neither of which have a future here either so the rationale to play the younger core doesn't stand up.
It's pretty obvious that they want speedy players who can play a fast game, which is Gagner's biggest weakness

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Gagner took himself out of the equation with his uninspired play at the start of the season (he was much better after the callup - but that might've been a case of too little, too late).

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Agree, although I had to look up this guy. If Canucks limp into the playoffs Wood is needed. Or, Ferland?

Id say why not both? You can NEVER have enough guys who are tough, gritty, big, and hard working but also fast and skilled.

If I was Benning I would go hard after Ferland and Miles Wood and also sign Wayne Simmonds in free agency.

I want a huge part of our culture to be “nasty but clean”

Reactions: JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Again, agreed. Benning seems surprised Petterson made the transition to the NHL so well. To my eye, zero preparations were done to accommodate this player. They seem to be reacting now (Schenn addition) but it's sloth like. I hope they have more moves planned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->