GDT: Game 44 | Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Wings could of had a W tonight but Garbage Man decided to be hero and gave Canucks a 5 on 3 which ultimately resulted in a goal.

Holland should be fired for not trading the bum while he was overrated. Now other GMs see he is nothing more than a Cam Barker wanna be.

Nyquist Explosion

Smith Implosion

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not going to say Holland should be fired now. I think emotion is getting the better of some of you. I still think he should get this summer to show that he has a grip on reality.

It's going to be a long summer if things don't heat up quickly leading up to the draft and free agency. :laugh:

HTT3*

The fact that Holland thinks Bert and Sammy would even make an impact on this roster suggests that he has no interest in buying them out. Can't say I'm surprised.

Why would he? If they were healthy this team is top 5 in the west. Add in Helm, this team is pretty good.

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
90 million over 13 years is still a lot of money, IIRC it was the top offer until Parise took some money off of his contract and put it towards Suter's. I also don't think the Wings were giving an opportunity to match it either. He was headed here and then Minny uped his offer, I think it's time we get over it.

we just lost lidstrom rafalski and stuart. ken holland didnt offer enough, period. if we were desperate for a superstar defensemen, the offer should have easily been 7+ million. 6.9 is a number that works for the wings and obviously not for suter. holland should have known suter might get a bigger offer from someone else.

the wings have had 7-8 million dollars in cap space the entire season. ken holland should know better than anyone that you have to spend some money to win. this isnt 2002 anymore, nobody is going to take a discount to come play for the big bad red wings. if we want real talent, we need to pay up and he's afraid to do that.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
There is something to be said for watching the team in person. It doesn't make a opinion more valid necessarily. But for instance one of the reason there are always just two forwards up for the most part is the other one is 45 feet behind the play, and you get to notice it a lot more. Remember during the Harrington sucks in Detroit era and don't get me wrong he did suck but when I actually got to a game I could see just what he was looking at. Nobody was open, he had no time, that is why he just checked the ball down all the the time. In hockey I understand the flow a little better, most of the people around here are diehard enough to get what is going on and have a feel for the game.

But since I haven't been to a Wings game this year, I cannot tell you just how flat out bad our pace is. It looks bad when I watch it but I have a feeling I would be downright depressed in person, it would have a little more weight. It doesn't throw everything out the window, it doesn't mean you are always right, but watching all 10 (really 12 if you're a goalie watcher too) does matter. It is the reason scouts see people in person and not just on film.

Plus there is something to be said for being a STH, in terms of I want change now. I pay for your product, in the $1,000+ range (even partials are very expensive) and way up and I am unhappy, this team isn't exciting. They are slow and Babcock is playing high off the glass hockey and trying to beat teams 1-0 and wondering why we are losing 2-1. You need to attack at some point we do very little of it. We don't pinch to keep plays alive often and a lot of you can blame personnel but at certain points we have done all well this season. The third period tonight being an example. We are playing unattractive tight hockey and we don't have the right players to do that either. Changes must be made and those paying the bills should rightly voice their displeasure it will mean more to the Ilitch family and the Wings from a business standpoint if they start really grilling them on it. They care about winning, but the group that directly puts in and not just the hours some of us around here do, matter and they matter a little more, that is just business.

MOD
That was the saddest display of hockey I have ever seen in my ENTIRE LIFE!!! And this year when we lose I see bits and pieces of that game in the play. Seeing it live really puts the problems in focus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The thing is, we KNOW he's full of ****.

He TRIED and FAILED to get Suter.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Parise.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Nash.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Weber.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Bouwmeester.

So he recognizes the need for elite talent. He understands this team has serious needs.

He's just playing PR

The players highlighted didn't want to come here.

I wanted to trade for Nash but I don't think they wanted to trade him here unless there was a MASSIVE over payment.

I don't know about Jay Bo. But if we had traded for him and gave up a 1st plus a couple prospects, I don't know how much better we are. Jay Bo ain't fixing our offensive woes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There isn't much out there to help this team, go look at who is hitting free agency, keep in mind of the 10 maybe good players left half will be gone. He can try swinging for the fences at the draft, but he is in this position now. He has to hope like hell Tatar, Nyquist, Smith, and DeKeyser can bail him out.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I think it's tough for you to really take what Holland says too seriously. The dude seriously is just trying to say the right things... not necessarily the most accurate things.

Like someone previously mentioned, the dude has been trying since the day Lidstrom retired to find a really, really good replacement. To him, it is elite talent or nothing, and that's why he's coming up with nothing. He knew during the deadline timeframe that the team wasn't in a position to let go of a first rounder, so it's clear that he's aware of the struggles.

Obviously, he's going to try to be positive, what else can he do? This is the team he constructed, the team that is fighting for a playoff spot right now. He can't go out and admit defeat, admit that the team absolutely sucks... it's kind of out of his hands at this point until the day their season ends.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing is, too, that I think the effort was there tonight. You could tell the Wings invested a lot in this game, I think they were gassed in OT actually. And Schneider played well, but not as well as we made him look. The ugly reality out there was that while there was effort, there wasn't enough quality to beat a lackluster opponent.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
The players highlighted didn't want to come here.

I wanted to trade for Nash but I don't think they wanted to trade him here unless there was a MASSIVE over payment.

I don't know about Jay Bo. But if we had traded for him and gave up a 1st plus a couple prospects, I don't know how much better we are. Jay Bo ain't fixing our offensive woes.

We lost Suter/Parise to family, there was no way we were getting them. Weber could have potentially hit free agency at some point soon if Philly didny give him the offer sheet. Nash was going to be a super overpayment because Columbus doesnt want to trade with us. And Holland traded our 1st last year for Quincey in a weak draft, I cant imagine how many people would call for his head if we got Bouwmeester for a first rounder in a deep draft. The Holland hate is ridiculous sometimes, theres only so much the guy can do. And dont get me wrong, there is some things he could have done to help the team but options are alot more limited then they used to be years ago.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
@AnsarKhanMLive
Drew Miller only played 3 shifts, didn't play last half of period. No word yet from Wings on what happened to him.
Miller upper body injury
that sucks.

Ballard: "Calm down, bro."

BIWLRDHCYAAgJvo.jpg
:laugh:

i'll be sure to post that in the photoshop thread on the main boards.

Why did Filppula dump it into the corner instead of shooting? I'm rooting for you guys. Hate Vancouver.
i hope it rolled off his stick.

Nyquist has looked pretty frigging good lately,

didn't think he would be this creative at the NHL level yet.
nyquist has been very good. he has been one of the team's best players for the last quarter of the season.

Weak attempts guys...
Its a huge SO for us, could be the difference between getting in or not,

and Dats tries the flip move and Z tries backhand 5hole...

this isn't warm up or practice guys, lets actually try something here
datsyuk needed to score. definitely should not have tried that trick shot.

even if the puck had not rolled when he was shooting, the goalie has a lot of time to stop the puck. even though datsyuk scored on that move vs chicago, niemi reached back and got a piece of the puck.

Well we can all rest easy knowing the Wings are saving some money by keeping Tatar in the AHL. :facepalm:
i know he's not the most popular player, but at least cap space has showed up for every game.

I'm streaming CBC After Hours at http://hescars.com/afterhours/

Ken Holland will be a guest.
thanks

No idea how you guys didn't win it in regulation.

The most lethargic, lackadaisical game the Canucks have played this year.
Schneider stood on his head.

You guys were all over us.
DRW are a mediocre team. not particularly talented anymore, and datsyuk and zetterberg seem to be banged up.

Who did Holland feel up to get Dekeyser named 2nd star?

WTF.
maybe it was influenced by comments by hughson and simpson, who were very complimentary.

he had a strong game, though, imo.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
we just lost lidstrom rafalski and stuart. ken holland didnt offer enough, period. if we were desperate for a superstar defensemen, the offer should have easily been 7+ million. 6.9 is a number that works for the wings and obviously not for suter. holland should have known suter might get a bigger offer from someone else.

the wings have had 7-8 million dollars in cap space the entire season. ken holland should know better than anyone that you have to spend some money to win. this isnt 2002 anymore, nobody is going to take a discount to come play for the big bad red wings. if we want real talent, we need to pay up and he's afraid to do that.

Not this again.

Parise and Suter were going to Minnesota. While the Wild did outbid everyone, Parise looked to be set on his home state and Suter wasn't going anywhere without Parise. Also, there is no knowing Holland even got a chance to outbid Minny, anyway.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Why would he? If they were healthy this team is top 5 in the west. Add in Helm, this team is pretty good.

Very debatable. And any way you slice it, this team still isn't built to make any serious postseason run with our defense as currently constructed.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Not this again.

Parise and Suter were going to Minnesota. While the Wild did outbid everyone, Parise looked to be set on his home state and Suter wasn't going anywhere without Parise. Also, there is no knowing Holland even got a chance to outbid Minny, anyway.

The fact that people keep bringing it up is hilarious :laugh: Not sure what Holland could have done there?

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
Not this again.

we lost arguably the second greatest defenseman of all time. he should have never needed the chance to outbid minny!! you dont think this would be a different team with a guy like suter?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Maybe he should have had a better contingency plan for a top-4 dman besides throwing away our 1st for KFQ?

And the "should he or shouldn't he" debate over Holland's past rears its wonderful head in a GDT once again!

Hoorah!

we lost arguably the second greatest defenseman of all time. he should have never needed the chance to outbid minny!! you dont think this would be a different team with a guy like suter?

You think if a player is looking at multiple options he isn't going to try and get the best possible deal he can?

Minny was their choice, and a few million wasn't going to affect that.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
There isn't much out there to help this team, go look at who is hitting free agency, keep in mind of the 10 maybe good players left half will be gone. He can try swinging for the fences at the draft, but he is in this position now. He has to hope like hell Tatar, Nyquist, Smith, and DeKeyser can bail him out.

This is a VERY DEEP draft year!!! He should have dumped some dead weight at the deadline for picks. Clearly-see ya later alligator
Sammy-piece out Girl Scout
Eaves-duces bro you gotta go
Quincey-no rhyme here, if we can get anything (a late pick, a future late pick, a bag of skittles)anything! Take it!

HTT3*

Maybe he should have had a better contingency plan for a top-4 dman besides throwing away our 1st for KFQ?

That 1st was a thin draft and KFQ was depth for last year and insurance in case free agency didn't work out. You can't count on free agency to get good players anymore without severely overpaying.

Danny Dekeyser is looking brilliant and Wings have some good coming up through the pipeline. I would love for Holland to trade Smith... he's a disaster.

Brennan17

Jan 16, 2012
Well just got back from the game. Thought the boys played well, we dominated and there only top chances were on the pp.. We just have no finish.. Some thing I saw from today
-dekeyser is gonna be one heck of a defenseman.
-franzen looks like he was giving it tonight.
-emmerton and Andersson are great for us on the kill.
-nyquist is a special player
-smith is awful
- and omg we need someone who can fricken score a damn goal..

Last edited:

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
That 1st was a thin draft and KFQ was depth for last year and insurance in case free agency didn't work out. You can't count on free agency to get good players anymore without severely overpaying.

Danny Dekeyser is looking brilliant and Wings have some good coming up through the pipeline. I would love for Holland to trade Smith... he's a disaster.

I am not saying we should have retained the 1st. We definitely could have used it in a different package to bring a better player in.

DD is looking great so far and I agree that Smith has been a tremendous disappointment this year, but don't you think he would have benefitted from a full season with the Wings last year, instead of being thrown to the wolves with KFQ as his partner?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I am not saying we should have retained the 1st. We definitely could have used it in a different package to bring a better player in.

DD is looking great so far and I agree that Smith has been a tremendous disappointment this year, but don't you think he would have benefitted from a full season with the Wings last year?

Yerp.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

Not everyone has the same learning curve. I say give Smith more time before you declare him a bust.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

DD is looking great so far and I agree that Smith has been a tremendous disappointment this year, but don't you think he would have benefitted from a full season with the Wings last year, instead of being thrown to the wolves with KFQ as his partner?

Smith always looks better without Quincey. I hate that pairing.

By the way DeKeyser flat out skated by Hansen twice tonight, not many D-man do that in this league.

HTT3*

Not everyone has the same learning curve. I say give Smith more time before you declare him a bust.

Part of the problem is Wings need to win now, so he should be benched. Play CC, White or Lashoff. Smith is a liability. I would give Holland the green light to package him up with some picks/prospects for a better player after the season is over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad