GDT: Game 44 | Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It can't be... he said his STH credentials make his opinion more valid than mine. I exhausted the possibilities in the list above.

There is something to be said for watching the team in person. It doesn't make a opinion more valid necessarily. But for instance one of the reason there are always just two forwards up for the most part is the other one is 45 feet behind the play, and you get to notice it a lot more. Remember during the Harrington sucks in Detroit era and don't get me wrong he did suck but when I actually got to a game I could see just what he was looking at. Nobody was open, he had no time, that is why he just checked the ball down all the the time. In hockey I understand the flow a little better, most of the people around here are diehard enough to get what is going on and have a feel for the game.

But since I haven't been to a Wings game this year, I cannot tell you just how flat out bad our pace is. It looks bad when I watch it but I have a feeling I would be downright depressed in person, it would have a little more weight. It doesn't throw everything out the window, it doesn't mean you are always right, but watching all 10 (really 12 if you're a goalie watcher too) does matter. It is the reason scouts see people in person and not just on film.

Plus there is something to be said for being a STH, in terms of I want change now. I pay for your product, in the $1,000+ range (even partials are very expensive) and way up and I am unhappy, this team isn't exciting. They are slow and Babcock is playing high off the glass hockey and trying to beat teams 1-0 and wondering why we are losing 2-1. You need to attack at some point we do very little of it. We don't pinch to keep plays alive often and a lot of you can blame personnel but at certain points we have done all well this season. The third period tonight being an example. We are playing unattractive tight hockey and we don't have the right players to do that either. Changes must be made and those paying the bills should rightly voice their displeasure it will mean more to the Ilitch family and the Wings from a business standpoint if they start really grilling them on it. They care about winning, but the group that directly puts in and not just the hours some of us around here do, matter and they matter a little more, that is just business.

HTT3*

How Smith played over Carlo Colaiacovo is beyond me. I am about ready to jump on the fire Babcock bandwagon. No way should Smith play when Wings are trying to claw for every point they can get. Period.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
"the nucleus of our team... has a lot of hockey left in them"

How much is "a lot" Kenny? Some of these guys look like they're scraping for the last bit of peanut butter at the bottom of the jar.

Is this a ****ing joke?? The nucleus of this team doesn't even have a lot of hockey left in them after 30 games. What happens when its 82?

we like our team*

How Smith played over Carlo Colaiacovo is beyond me. I am about ready to jump on the fire Babcock bandwagon. No way should Smith play when Wings are trying to claw for every point they can get. Period.

your creepy hate-boner for smith is amusing

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
why is babcock not changing anything. he's turning into dave lewis. the lineup is the same every game. the horrible power play has looked the same the entire season. moving cleary or abdelkader off of the top 6 seems to have never even crossed his mind. and we have a gm who is scared ****less of spending too much.

6.9 million for suter. 6.9. not even 7. not 7.1. six point ****ing nine. i mean, thank god we have that extra 8 or so million in cap space just sitting there.

90 million over 13 years is still a lot of money, IIRC it was the top offer until Parise took some money off of his contract and put it towards Suter's. I also don't think the Wings were giving an opportunity to match it either. He was headed here and then Minny uped his offer, I think it's time we get over it.

RedWingsNow*

There is something to be said for watching the team in person. It doesn't make a opinion more valid necessarily. But for instance one of the reason there are always just two forwards up for the most part is the other one is 45 feet behind the play, and you get to notice it a lot more. Remember during the Harrington sucks in Detroit era and don't get me wrong he did suck but when I actually got to a game I could see just what he was looking at. Nobody was open, he had no time, that is why he just checked the ball down all the the time. In hockey I understand the flow a little better, most of the people around here are diehard enough to get what is going on and have a feel for the game.

But since I haven't been to a Wings game this year, I cannot tell you just how flat out bad our pace is. It looks bad when I watch it but I have a feeling I would be downright depressed in person, it would have a little more weight. It doesn't throw everything out the window, it doesn't mean you are always right, but watching all 10 (really 12 if you're a goalie watcher too) does matter. It is the reason scouts see people in person and not just on film.

Plus there is something to be said for being a STH, in terms of I want change now. I pay for your product, in the $1,000 dollar range and I am unhappy, this team isn't exciting. They are slow and Babcock is playing high off the glass hockey and trying to beat teams 1-0 nothing and wondering why we are losing 2-1. You need to attack at some point we do very little of it. We don't pinch to keep plays alive often and a lot of you can blame personnel but at certain points we have done all well this season. The third period tonight being an example. We are playing unattractive tight hockey and we don't have the right players to do that either. Changes must be made and those paying the bills should rightly voice their displeasure it will mean more to the Ilitch family and the Wings from a business standpoint if they start really grilling them on it. They care about winning, but the group that directly puts in and not just the hours some of us around here do, matter and they matter a little more, that is just business.

Being at the game and watching it live... there are advantages and disadvantages.

There are times when coaches don't know what happened on key plays until after watching it on video

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Kenny should be immediately fired after these comments. Our "nucleus" hasn't made it past the second round in 3 seasons. Our "nucleus" no longer has Lidas or Stewie in it. What an idiot.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What's disturbing to me is that the decline of this team over the last few years is like watching a car wreck in slow-motion. It's like it was impossible to perceive at first, but the cracks appeared and the cracks slowly expanded bit by bit until there was a point when you couldn't cover them up anymore and you realized you were looking at a broken team. Put a tape of this team in 2009 on and then compare it vs. this season and you realize you're looking at an empty shell.

Meanwhile all you heard from management was "we like this team".

Kronwall hasn't had a point in 6 straight games. He has 42 PIM. He has a career worst -10 rating. He absolutely cannot play on a top pairing.

Z is a career worst -4.

Filppula is a career worst -5 and his offense has fallen off a cliff.

Pavs is Pavs, despite being saddled with linemates like Dan Cleary and Justin Abdelkader he's +13 and pretty much a PPG player.

Jimmy started off slowly but he's been pretty great since March 1st. He should finish with 3 of his 4 seasons as a starter with a .920+ SV%.

Mule is having a solid year. I don't think the Wings can keep him and a compliance buyout is likely but that doesn't change the fact he's started to be a positive presence recently.

Your best players need to be your best players and in the case of Kronner, Z and Filppula that is obviously not the case this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Being at the game and watching it live... there are advantages and disadvantages.

There are times when coaches don't know what happened on key plays until after watching it on video

Oh I agree, I was just coming out with the fact there are also some benefits to it. I have a much better feel for the Griffins because I have seen them in person. Maybe it is just me but without having seen them in person I think I have a very good picture, but maybe not the full picture on the Wings. Just how I feel as a fan. I certainly can talk about them all the time and have opinions, but there are benefits to seeing the team live from time to time. It helps explain some of the things you miss on tv.

There are also people that sit at every game that don't know really what to watch. So it isn't a be all end all, I am just saying there are parts of being at the rink that help me get a read as well.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Quite an interesting interview with Holland there. He certainly haven't realised what shape this team is in.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I'm not going to say Holland should be fired now. I think emotion is getting the better of some of you. I still think he should get this summer to show that he has a grip on reality.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
BOTTOM LINE: if this team misses the playoffs it's because of this stat: only 2 W's in their last 7 games!!!

RedWingsNow*

The thing is, we KNOW he's full of ****.

He TRIED and FAILED to get Suter.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Parise.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Nash.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Weber.
He TRIED and FAILED to get Bouwmeester.

So he recognizes the need for elite talent. He understands this team has serious needs.

He's just playing PR

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The last two lockouts neutered GMs like Ken Holland (rich ownership, winning culture, etc.)

Based on his comments, it seems like he is just kind of rolling over. The NHL is just going to keep removing the advantages that certain teams have until it is literally as even as possible.

Still hate to see him just give up so easily. There is definitely something to be said for finishing middle of the playoff bunch than at the very bottom of it. The Kings aren't a good example of an 8th seed, but he keeps bringing it up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall hasn't had a point in 6 straight games. He has 42 PIM. He has a career worst -10 rating. He absolutely cannot play on a top pairing.

Z is a career worst -4.

Filppula is a career worst -5 and his offense has fallen off a cliff.

Pavs is Pavs, despite being saddled with linemates like Dan Cleary and Justin Abdelkader he's +13 and pretty much a PPG player.

Jimmy started off slowly but he's been pretty great since March 1st. He should finish with 3 of his 4 seasons as a starter with a .920+ SV%.

Mule is having a solid year. I don't think the Wings can keep him and a compliance buyout is likely but that doesn't change the fact he's started to be a positive presence recently.

Your best players need to be your best players and in the case of Kronner, Z and Filppula that is obviously not the case this season.

Don't think Z belongs with the other two, but I am sure that is just my love for Zetterberg when you all comment to that. He has had an average to poor backhalf, really wish he would have kept his word and not played during the lockout, his body could have used it.

Datsyuk hasn't gone into beast mode in a while either. They wore them out with 22-24 night minutes early in the season, it is showing.

HTT3*

BOTTOM LINE: if this team misses the playoffs it's because of this stat: only 2 W's in their last 7 games!!!

Wings could of had a W tonight but Garbage Man decided to be hero and gave Canucks a 5 on 3 which ultimately resulted in a goal.

Holland should be fired for not trading the bum while he was overrated. Now other GMs see he is nothing more than a Cam Barker wanna be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad