Post-Game Talk: GAME 44 - Best win of the year? BRUINS 5 Colorado 2 F

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I get it. I just don't like $12/12.5 locked into 2 goalies who will be splitting the time. Is the system good? Sure, but that's a lot of money regardless.

If Swayman plays 55-60 games, is it worth it to have a $5M goalie playing 20?
Is it worth it to trade Ullmark and not use the cap space you gain? Guy won the Vezina last year and has been excellent again this year. We’re not talking about Re-upping him just riding the contract.

I’d certainly trade Ullmark if there’s a great top tier return. But that’s unlikely given how the goalie market has been lately. Doing it just because of one years cap hit when you don’t need to seems more shortsighted.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Still unclear (maybe unclear isn't the right word, but I don't know if I like it) on the offside review. I assume the ruling was that Zacha had possession as soon as the puck hit his stick, effectively making him and the puck a single entity as it pertains to only his own self crossing the blue line? How do they rule possession on those plays though? It just tipped off his stick at that point, and he settled it only after he had already crossed. It makes the possession too much of a judgment call. Almost like the classic "when does a catch become an actual catch" in the NFL.

There's probably no better way to do it, unless they rule it as even a puck carrier cant enter the zone prior to the puck.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I get it. I just don't like $12/12.5 locked into 2 goalies who will be splitting the time. Is the system good? Sure, but that's a lot of money regardless.

If Swayman plays 55-60 games, is it worth it to have a $5M goalie playing 20?
Yes....if that goalie is capable of winning 15 or more of those games

It is much better than a lot of teams who have dead money sitting in buyouts...at least you are getting something

Also look at it this way....it's like car insurance.....no one likes spending $1500 or ore on car insurance but you are sure glad you have it if you need it

Also look at a team like Toronto with all the $ tied up in centers....is it helping them dominate? A massive strength of our team is our goaltending, and we get a better return on that investment than Toronto gets on theirs

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
great win vs a very good team. I don`t want to put the Avs under the great column only because I don`t think they are, not nearly as deep as they were during the cup run but still a top 5 team in the NHL and our boys played well considering our personnel injuries as well

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Still unclear (maybe unclear isn't the right word, but I don't know if I like it) on the offside review. I assume the ruling was that Zacha had possession as soon as the puck hit his stick, effectively making him and the puck a single entity as it pertains to only his own self crossing the blue line? How do they rule possession on those plays though? It just tipped off his stick at that point, and he settled it only after he had already crossed. It makes the possession too much of a judgment call. Almost like the classic "when does a catch become an actual catch" in the NFL.

There's probably no better way to do it, unless they rule it as even a puck carrier cant enter the zone prior to the puck.

It was the wrong call.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think it was 3-2, Grzelcyk got knocked on his ass in front of Swayman and coughed up the puck. Then Colorado pumped a couple good chances toward goal. I was preparing for the usual post game pitchfork treatment. Luckily, nothing happened as a result of the turnover

Grzelcyk's line from last night:

No points, no shots on goal, no hits, no blocks, no takeaways, 4 giveaways.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just because the cap is going up and you have more money, doesn't mean you should have $12M locked up between a time share. Would you pay DeBrusk $4M to play 35-40 games? If you're giving Swayman $7M (ish), and he's the guy that's going to be playing the majority of the games, as much as I hate to say it, Ullmark and his $5M cap it should be traded while he has good value.
There's quite a massive difference between Debrusk playing 17 mins/game for only 40 games vs a goalie playing 60 mintues a night for 40 games. Goalies legitimately need to take some time off if you want a deep playoff run.

IMO, a goalie also have a much greater impact on the outcome of each game than a winger like Debrusk will have - just look at the massive impact poor goaltending is having for some good offensive teams in Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton (early in the year).

I'd love to see them keep the tandem going in the playoffs to see how it does before they make a decision on if they'll keep both or not.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There's quite a massive difference between Debrusk playing 17 mins/game for only 40 games vs a goalie playing 60 mintues a night for 40 games. Goalies legitimately need to take some time off if you want a deep playoff run.

IMO, a goalie also have a much greater impact on the outcome of each game than a winger like Debrusk will have - just look at the massive impact poor goaltending is having for some good offensive teams in Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton (early in the year).

I'd love to see them keep the tandem going in the playoffs to see how it does before they make a decision on if they'll keep both or not.
We've done it twice and it hasn't really gone well, imo.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
We've done it twice and it hasn't really gone well, imo.
They haven't really done it, I'm saying they should split the games like they do regular season...last two seasons they only switched to Sway after Ullmark looked shaky

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
What is this talk of Lauko doing something at the end of the game and deserved to be beaten?! AVS were pissed? Didn't see anything. Intrigued

Reactions: NDiesel

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Lauko is the opposite of what we've seen from other prima donna prospects, and he's a Euro. Hits everything in sight, motor's going all the time, knows he has to earn his ice time, and even drops the mitts. Doing everything he can to make the Bruins have to keep him on the big club, instead of pouting that he's on the 4th line and doesn't have any "quality linemates" (the biggest crock of shit meme in hockey. You want better linemates, play a better game!).
Yeah I know, I’m a huge Lauko fan — the hits stat can sometimes be deceiving, so I was after whether his physicality was that noticeable last game, as he lead both teams in hits. I reckon it was.

Reactions: jgatie and NDiesel

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Disagree completely. He possessed the puck as soon as it hit his stick. He dragged it over the blue line then put it off his skate. The right call was made.
That's the part I am stuck on. He had a skate on the line when the puck strikes his blade. So if that instant is ruled as possession, and the rules state a puck carrier and the puck are considered the same entity for the argument of only the puck carrier being onside...then the right call was made

but what defines possession?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
They haven't really done it, I'm saying they should split the games like they do regular season...last two seasons they only switched to Sway after Ullmark looked shaky
I don't agree with this come post season time.

If Swayman posts a 35 save shutout in game 1, how do you not go back to him in game 2?

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Pastrnak has been on a different level this season, his all around play has really improved and he has really cut down on the lazy turnovers. To accumulate his points with a less then stellar cast is really impressive, he should be a serious MVP candidate.
I think his leadership has improved too. A few weeks ago (I forget the game…) he got a penalty late and was not happy about it with the ref. He scored the OT winner and shot the puck like he was shoving it down someone’s throat. That tells me he takes it a lot more serious now. That’s the payoff of playing with Bergeron and now being in a position to be one of the top leaders, not just in the mix with the boys. Huge.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't agree with this come post season time.

If Swayman posts a 35 save shutout in game 1, how do you not go back to him in game 2?
It's a fair point, and maybe the better strategy is play each goalie until they lose a game...but I get the feeling these guys don't care too much, they seem happy to split games.

If it works all season though I don't get why it would be a problem post season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad