GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Rangers | 17:30 MT | 01/07/2020 | Mob Edition

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I don't think there's a leadership issue, nor is Landy trash after putting up 34 goals and 75 points last year. Swapping jersey patches isn't going to do a damned thing. This ain't San Jose.

I'm not gonna lie though, and this has nothing to do with his leadership or character, but Erik Johnson is continuing to struggle mightily, and it's a huge issue. I still maintain the defense looked better without him, especially the PK. He may have been the worst player for the Avs last night. They either need to find a way to seriously lessen his workload. Problem is, both Zadorov and Cole are just not capable of stepping up right now.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, I don't think there's a leadership issue, nor is Landy trash after putting up 34 goals and 75 points last year. Swapping jersey patches isn't going to do a damned thing. This ain't San Jose.

I'm not gonna lie though, and this has nothing to do with his leadership or character, but Erik Johnson is continuing to struggle mightily, and it's a huge issue. I still maintain the defense looked better without him, especially the PK. He may have been the worst player for the Avs last night. They either need to find a way to seriously lessen his workload. Problem is, both Zadorov and Cole are just not capable of stepping up right now.

David Savard enters the chat.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Larueskee to the STL board...

48c8511953095afc585495258927d288.gif

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
We’re 6th in league and have slumped for a little bit. Chill. After we beat Boston they didn’t win a game for like 2 weeks, doesn’t mean that Bergeron and Chara are ****ty leaders, it just means that teams slump and it’s a natural thing.
Except we've been slumping since basically Thanksgiving. We've had erratic play, mainly bad, with sprinkled in good games. Good teams slump for a couple weeks then it's back to business as usual. We slump for 2 months+ and have pull a drastic comeback to squeak into the playoffs.

Even though we are 6th in the league doesn't mean we don't have constant issues that have been issues for years around here. When is the last time we put 60 minute effort against a bad team that we should beat? I honestly can't remember. We like to coast by on talent, the only time this team plays a 60 minute game is when the big boys like St Louis are in town. We give shit effort after shit effort when we play bottom 3rd teams. Sometimes we win because our talent level is higher, like against NJ. But most time it's a bad result against a bad team like last night that NYR. There was no reason to go worse than 2-1 on this trip. But we give two crap efforts in a row and you go home 1-2 and honestly we are lucky not to be 0-3. Because we looked pretty poor the first period against NJ.

Every year it's the same story only reason it's passible now is because MacK has strapped is to his back and we lose less often.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Another item I would like to point out that I have not thoroughly investigated yet is powerplay percentage since Makar's return. Zero for the last 3 games as a team. If you take the Blues game out of the equation Makar has no powerplay points in 6 of his games since his return. All of this while averaging about 3:30 minutes of powerplay time. Again, no one is doubting if Makar is a talented player but the lack of results is translating into a lack of wins.
The PP has been a problem all season. If you want to look at why it sucks I would start with Rantanen and Landeskog then the bumper then Cale and then Mackinnon.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Except we've been slumping since basically Thanksgiving. We've had erratic play, mainly bad, with sprinkled in good games. Good teams slump for a couple weeks then it's back to business as usual. We slump for 2 months+ and have pull a drastic comeback to squeak into the playoffs.

Even though we are 6th in the league doesn't mean we don't have constant issues that have been issues for years around here. When is the last time we put 60 minute effort against a bad team that we should beat? I honestly can't remember. We like to coast by on talent, the only time this team plays a 60 minute game is when the big boys like St Louis are in town. We give **** effort after **** effort when we play bottom 3rd teams. Sometimes we win because our talent level is higher, like against NJ. But most time it's a bad result against a bad team like last night that NYR. There was no reason to go worse than 2-1 on this trip. But we give two crap efforts in a row and you go home 1-2 and honestly we are lucky not to be 0-3. Because we looked pretty poor the first period against NJ.

Every year it's the same story only reason it's passible now is because MacK has strapped is to his back and we lose less often.
I been saying all along our standing is flattering considering how mediocre we have played for almost a quarter of the season now. I almost want the other teams behind us to catch up just to truly show just how bad the Avs have been since Thanksgiving. I can count on one hand how many complete games the Avs have put in this season. They truly think they can outskill teams and not work and some nights especially earlier in the season they got away with it. Of late they been doing the same thing only now teams are outworking them and the Avs are blowing leads in almost every game.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The PP has been a problem all season. If you want to look at why it sucks I would start with Rantanen and Landeskog then the bumper then Cale and then Mackinnon.
But I was just recently told that since Bennet was hired the Avs have been a top powerplay unit. Maybe not be you, but someone else on this board. The problem however, goes back into my initial complaints about the " glamour defensemen ". Over the last 12 games the Avs have lost 8 and won 4. As much as I hate to say it the Avs were doing a bit better with Girard on the first unit of the powerplay. Last night the wunderkind Makar had 4.30 minutes on the powerplay with no points. The night before 2:34 minutes and another zipper. The Devil game 3:39 with no power play success. You got to make a change no matter whose feelings you may hurt. Kids a rookie and you have to play him like a rookie and Bednar is not. Again I'm an old salty guy who is def. old school.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I been saying all along our standing is flattering considering how mediocre we have played for almost a quarter of the season now. I almost want the other teams behind us to catch up just to truly show just how bad the Avs have been since Thanksgiving. I can count on one hand how many complete games the Avs have put in this season. They truly think they can outskill teams and not work and some nights especially earlier in the season they got away with it. Of late they been doing the same thing only now teams are outworking them and the Avs are blowing leads in almost every game.

Yeah its killing my motivation to watch lately. I'll force myself to watch this shit show just to stay current, but they are pissing me off with these flat games after showing what they are capable of in games like STL.

Mad respect to Kadri though even if hes been part of the clown show.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Landy gets all the blame lol. There are many leaders on this team and as far as im concerned Mackinnon is the leader here. Gabe just happens to wear the C but this is Nathan Mackinnons team.

Agreed on EJ and I been harping on it annoyingly all season. The guy looks next to finished. His body has given up on him. He skates like Adam Foote did when Footer was 38. He cant muscle guys off pucks anymore on a regular basis. He still cant get pucks through yet I see him joining the rush almost always while Girard has to babysit. He struggles mightily on the PK. Both he and Graves cannot clear pucks and this causes huge problems. I would legit have no issues if EJ stuck around as a 5/6 dman playing 15 minutes a night but as far as being a top 4 chewing up big minutes? Those days are over.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But I was just recently told that since Bennet was hired the Avs have been a top powerplay unit. Maybe not be you, but someone else on this board. The problem however, goes back into my initial complaints about the " glamour defensemen ". Over the last 12 games the Avs have lost 8 and won 4. As much as I hate to say it the Avs were doing a bit better with Girard on the first unit of the powerplay. Last night the wunderkind Makar had 4.30 minutes on the powerplay with no points. The night before 2:34 minutes and another zipper. The Devil game 3:39 with no power play success. You got to make a change no matter whose feelings you may hurt. Kids a rookie and you have to play him like a rookie and Bednar is not. Again I'm an old salty guy who is def. old school.
Think we need some Ian Cole on the PP

Reactions: MonsterMack

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is why I said it was important to have some sort of security blanket for Cale in case he falters. Its really unfair to be so critical of a 21 yr old dman 35-36 games into his NHL career but here we stand. Part of it is Cale's own fault because we seen how good he can be lol so our expectations of him are sky high and when he goes through a slump like he is now hes judged unfairly. In 3 yrs when he goes through a slump like this ill be the first to call him out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah its killing my motivation to watch lately. I'll force myself to watch this **** show just to stay current, but they are pissing me off with these flat games after showing what they are capable of in games like STL.

Mad respect to Kadri though even if hes been part of the clown show.
We both made it through the 48 point season but you are right im getting sick of the piss poor effort on most nights. Losing is fine if you put in a valiant effort but when was the last time the Avs did that? We talk shit about the Oilers only being where they are thanks to McDrai but can you imagine for one second where this team would be without Mack? ::Shutter::

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad