GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Rangers | 17:30 MT | 01/07/2020 | Mob Edition

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ranger fan coming in peace...I do not follow the AV's but have interest because of the constant trade rumors. You are considered a contender in the west but I didn't see that last night. Granted 1 game is not a barometer for good analysis but what is your scheme or style of play? Strong forecheck? Trap? Speed? Watching last night you guys seemed disconnected with no strategy. So is someone like Kreider a player that could help the AV'S? Is his style of play something you lack?
Avs skate and don’t let the other team have the puck. Basically the exact opposite of what you watched last night.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Ranger fan coming in peace...I do not follow the AV's but have interest because of the constant trade rumors. You are considered a contender in the west but I didn't see that last night. Granted 1 game is not a barometer for good analysis but what is your scheme or style of play? Strong forecheck? Trap? Speed? Watching last night you guys seemed disconnected with no strategy. So is someone like Kreider a player that could help the AV'S? Is his style of play something you lack?
Team in a slump that plays a bad game doesn't look the same as when they're winning lots of games throughout the rest of the season. The math checks out.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Funny how Landeskog got touchy in his post-game interview when asked about the Avs not having a single 3rd period come-from-behind win all season. "If you're looking for a story, not one there" he responded. Well Gabe, there is a story there, especially in light of how generous you & your teammates have been with your own 3rd period collapses as of late. Why aren't the Avs capable of doing that to bottom dwellers Gabe? How come you've looked like a 3rd or 4th line bum for most the season Gabe? What's the problem Captain Gabe?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Also even though I answered you reasonably in my last post I’d highly recommend not going to another team’s board and saying things like “you’re considered a contender but I didn’t see it last night”.

Avs are 6th in the NHL and lost a game to a team that’s 23rd. Perhaps before thinking that’s the norm you might want to take a second to realize it was a one off before talking down about them to the other fan base.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure why Cole is getting so little ice. It seems like when he has a good offensive spike to his game, Bednar decides to shut that down. Cole was not even on the first unit pk last two games and last night it burned the Avs. Cole hasn't played well either and its been since Zads was paired with him. Cole is now playing mostly his offside which makes me think the Avs should try and trade him for Justin Faulk of the Blues who also play his off side. Everytime Bednar has reduced Cole's role the Avs start struggling. No one cries about Makar with another minus 3 last night and zero points.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not sure why Cole is getting so little ice. It seems like when he has a good offensive spike to his game, Bednar decides to shut that down. Cole was not even on the first unit pk last two games and last night it burned the Avs. Cole hasn't played well either and its been since Zads was paired with him. Cole is now playing mostly his offside which makes me think the Avs should try and trade him for Justin Faulk of the Blues who also play his off side. Everytime Bednar has reduced Cole's role the Avs start struggling. No one cries about Makar with another minus 3 last night and zero points.
Him being the worst player on the team might have something to do with it.

Tyson Jost is a f***ing treat compared to your cousin.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hahahahaha imagine thinking Ian Cole could return Justin Faulk

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
2 wins and 5 losses since Makar returned. If there is one stat or fact that needs looking at this might be the biggest one. In those 5 losses the Avs gave up 21 goals and Makar was minus 8. Way over 22 minutes average in those games and quite frankly..I can't understand why or how the coaching staff keeps giving him so much ice. The flash just isn't paying off since his return so the coach needs to figure this out.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Zadorov is useless. He's soft and lazy now. What happened to physical Z?

He's not the same player with that guard over his jaw. He can't be, he said himself he can't play as physical, and unfortunately that's the major redeeming feature to Zadorov's game. We needed to push back against the Rangers last night and absolutely no one was up to the task

I've defended Grubauer to death, but am currently OK with letting Francouz run with the ball. Francouz only allows one against one of the better teams in the league, and the Grubauer lets in at least 4 stoppable shots against one of the most mediocre teams? No thank you sir, you can eat pine for awhile

It's obviously been mentioned, but there is something wrong with Landeskog. He isn't doing anything of value out on the ice, and he doesn't seem to be doing much of value off of it. If you can't inspire the boys to play better against the god damn Rangers, you should be eating nachos

I'd be perfectly fine with a few AHL callups and a few healthy scratches for those deserving. Something needs to change the tune in the dressing room

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The board would make that deal in STL. They pretty much hate Faulk. Now what might be a even better move would be to make a offer to Petro who is a free agent.

tenor.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs schedule is getting easier from now. Five game home stand coming up without any back to backs but then 11 days off? WTH is that about?

February has more road games than home but playing teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, should win most of those games

March has equal amount of home and road games 8 and 8, then to close out the season last 2 games at home Jets and Blues.

I dont understand this 11 days off after the up coming 5 home games. Why so many days off?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs schedule is getting easier from now. Five game home stand coming up without any back to backs but then 11 days off? WTH is that about?

February has more road games than home but playing teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, should win most of those games

March has equal amount of home and road games 8 and 8, then to close out the season last 2 games at home Jets and Blues.

I dont understand this 11 days off after the up coming 5 home games. Why so many days off?
Mandatory break

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Another item I would like to point out that I have not thoroughly investigated yet is powerplay percentage since Makar's return. Zero for the last 3 games as a team. If you take the Blues game out of the equation Makar has no powerplay points in 6 of his games since his return. All of this while averaging about 3:30 minutes of powerplay time. Again, no one is doubting if Makar is a talented player but the lack of results is translating into a lack of wins.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Another item I would like to point out that I have not thoroughly investigated yet is powerplay percentage since Makar's return. Zero for the last 3 games as a team. If you take the Blues game out of the equation Makar has no powerplay points in 6 of his games since his return. All of this while averaging about 3:30 minutes of powerplay time. Again, no one is doubting if Makar is a talented player but the lack of results is translating into a lack of wins.

You should look at the PP stats once Rantanen and Landeskog returned. I recall a significant PP slump even before Makar came back from injury.

The PP is relying purely on skill without a true net front presence (Landeskog used to fill this role better). The Avs are playing a perimeter, finesse based PP game and it is easier to defend, no matter the talent level that they can put on the ice. It is difficult in the NHL to beat goaltenders cleanly when they can clearly see the puck, which the Avs seem to rely on.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah just remove the biggest win of the season from you sample size, that should make it fair.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I would like to see Nichushkin play more on the PP in front of the net (I would even take Calvert in that role). I think it would open things up more. I am surprised it has not been tried to be honest. Perhaps the coaches think Landy and Kadri are fine in those roles, which I think they can be, but both seem to be playing away from the net on the PP.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad