Post-Game Talk: GAME 4 - Colorado 4 BRUINS 2 - Home Opener Saturday Night

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Oh good, so I'm not crazy

I miss Mojo. :( . this is a crazy stat. Hoping something changes soon. So frustrating watching two talented players wasting away with plugs while better prospects are stuck in Providence/sitting because of poor signings.

Coyle working on his next contract can't be to happy - perhaps it's a master plan by Don? Keeping totals down for Heinen/Coyle...lol

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The GI rules and the offsides review are both AWFUL, and I can’t stand either. If a guy is a foot offside and it’s an integral part of the play, I get it, and the refs should be able to see that. This BS where they have to go back frame by frame or the one against COL in the playoffs where Landeskog was trying to get onto the bench and had no impact on play are ridiculous. The league cries about goal scoring and then institutes rules that reduce goals.

GI is one of the most subjective calls in the game and drives me fu**ing nuts. I watched a game the other night (maybe VAN), and the offensive player’s stick made contact with the skate/pad of Markstrom before the puck went in. Within the letter of the law, it should have been GI, but apparently it didn’t affect the goalie enough to make the save. Goal stands.

Someone needs to explain to me what the difference was with Krejci’s contact last night. Letter of the law, yes, but doesn’t affect PG’s ability to stop the puck. When players and fans can watch a play and legit not know what the outcome of the review will be, that is NOT a good thing for the game.

There's an ambiguity in the way Rule 69 on goalkeeper interference is written. In 69.1 it states that "goals should be disallowed only if...an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeepers ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal". However in 69.3 it states that "if an attacking playing initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goal keeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed." No mention there of the contact having to have impaired the goalie, just that it happened within the crease. The same wording is used in Table 16, outlining potential interference on goalkeeper situations.

So is 69.3 supposed to be read in light of 69.1, in which case there must be impairing contact to disallow a goal, or does it stand alone as written, in which case mere contact of any kind will disallow a score? The VAN case suggests the former, the Krejci one the latter. It's simply not clear and it strikes me as poorly drafted. Really it should be contact plus impairment, but the reading of it and its application in at least some cases leans towards contact only. Whichever way is correct, it shouldn't have to be further interpreted, it should just be clear from the rule book, and to me it isn't.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
I hate instant replay and someday the league will realize that I am not the only one. When all sports lose their fan base because of over priced tickets because these players think they are better than thou. I disagreed with the goalie interference call but the offsides was correct but like my Wife said the officials missed the offsides so blame them when they have to go to replay as it makes them look like a horses ass. All of these rule changes are only in place because we the fans have no say so instead of raising ticket prices they should be lowering them because I am not going to a game for two of us and spend $300. ++ to see goals called back. These officials are getting paid good money and I say if they can't do their jobs then bye-bye and how many of the older players watching these games today think the same way. Can you tell I am PISSED?????

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I feel bad for Heinen if those stats are true, man. Reminds me of a certain Social Distortion song title...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Another great game. Great pace and some fantastic plays at both ends.

Frustrating result though... I've never liked anything that disrupts the flow of the game and all these reviews are putrid. The NHL needs to stop trying to be like the NFL and embrace what it is we do well. Football is constant stop and go. There's a place there for 5 minute replay reviews. Hockey is about speed and flow... The idea that you have to go back and erase several minutes of game play is ridiculous.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Frustrating result though... I've never liked anything that disrupts the flow of the game and all these reviews are putrid. The NHL needs to stop trying to be like the NFL and embrace what it is we do well. Football is constant stop and go. There's a place there for 5 minute replay reviews. Hockey is about speed and flow... The idea that you have to go back and erase several minutes of game play is ridiculous.
Hopefully they realise it sooner than later.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I think the most frustrating thing about reviews is when the goal happens a minute after the offside. I feel like if the goal isn't immediate (maybe 15 seconds as a cutoff) then it's not reviewable.

Pasta being a fraction of an inch offside had no effect on the play at all.

But rules are rules, cant argue with the offside, but I do disagree with the GI call.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
So I think the other two who have spent time on the 3rd have been Kuhlman and Lindholm, is that right? If so, small sample but the numbers look much better for them.
Personally, I think Lindholm has looked better than both those guys, but hes more of a passer which would effectively make that line one with three passers and no real shooters.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
as others have said, backes is cooked. We will see Bjork up before the end of the month i think.
Already- we only have that 1 line and its only the first week. Gotta split them up or get other lines going. Backes in there is not helping anything right now.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So I think the other two who have spent time on the 3rd have been Kuhlman and Lindholm, is that right? If so, small sample but the numbers look much better for them.

IIRC they had a shift with Pasta last night as well, and it was their best shift of the night. Small sample size? sure, but its pretty clear just by watching that Backes/Ritchie are not helping the line.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
IIRC they had a shift with Pasta last night as well, and it was their best shift of the night. Small sample size? sure, but its pretty clear just by watching that Backes/Ritchie are not helping the line.

The best top 9 they can ice is

63-37-88
43-46-10
74-13-83

Would need to make sure Bjork or Heinen became a shooter though.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Personally, I think Lindholm has looked better than both those guys, but hes more of a passer which would effectively make that line one with three passers and no real shooters.

Yeah I've said elsewhere that the line needs and deserves a shooter. Perhaps Kuhlman for longer periods. Bjork is frequently raised as the big hope, and fairly so, but I don't think there's any proof yet that he's going to be a regular goal scorer. Definitely he deserves a shot, but it may not necessarily be that the 3rd line in particular will be the right fit for him.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
And god dammit pasta. Shoot the effin puck when you get a clear cut 2 on 1 with no pressure.
Your right the goalie was over to Marchand’s side before Pastrnak passed it
I am exaggerating but you know where I’m going
Pasta shoot there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad