Post-Game Talk: Game #4 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This take is less accurate than Penguins fans' take on Tom Wilson's game.
This assessment is accurate. You just have no clue what makes someone a good player. These guys are not good players. They have some skill. You are getting confused between a flashy player and a good player.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
What game were you watching? Vrana had a bad game. He was especially brutal when he got the opportunity to play on the pp. Gained the zone 3 times and just gave the puck away.
I'm with you here. He coughs the puck up in promising situations far too much.

Reactions: JMUcapsfan07

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This assessment is accurate. You just have no clue what makes someone a good player. These guys are not good players. They have some skill. You are getting confused between a flashy player and a good player.

So DSP is a good player? You think he had a better game, and was a better option to try to get a goal down late, than anyone else on the roster? You've turned this into some Vrana-specific thing when it's not.

There's no justifiable reason to call Vrana worse than, say... Chiasson, at this moment in time. IQ included.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Well, I wanted a split in Pittsburgh, I got a split in Pittsburgh. It's never as satisfying when you lose the second one though.

Good:
Holtby
Oshie
Orlov

Bad:
DSP
Djoos
Most of the offense

Reactions: calicapsfan

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I’d be stunned if the Caps scored more than 3 goals total these last 2-3 games.

I gave in and watched 6 minutes of the 2nd. Waste of time. Oshie’s dumbass loser penalty was the deciding factor.

Forget the skill aspect, if this team doesn’t get smarter, they’ll lose in 6. And I’m pretty sure they will because i can’t see that moron of a coach getting their asses in gear.

This shit is infuriating and why i just can’t invest anymore.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I picked a good game to miss.

I can't blame them being f***ing frustrated.

Just win 2 out of 3. With your finger bones if you must.

Reactions: calicapsfan

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Based on Alan May's comments about Backstrom's reaction to losing last tear, I tend to believe it

Which part are we talking about? The f the league part or the slamming stick part?

We know the slamming of stick happened and that means he cares about losing

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
hmm...no conversation at all about Backstrom's post game fit?

I guess I don't really see the big deal? He said something dumb seconds/minutes after a tough loss in a huge game.

I'm sure that is common across the league and across every sport. I kind of lost a bit of respect that he decided to tweet that out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The league wanted small fast players. A speed game.

Its not Tom's fault he keeps truckin them. They are in his way to becoming a force in the league

It is entirely his fault, Ovechkin could truck guys but he doesn't because he's smarter than that. Many guys around the league could do what Wilson does but they don't want to hurt their team, and maybe other players.

Reactions: Badfish87

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Wait, are we really mad if the Backstrom news is true? I want my players to be firey and angry after a loss. I want them to come out harder and faster in the next game so it doesn't happena gain.

What's bad about that? I guess maybe that he'd blame the league instead of their play but who know's what he was mad about. I think we're projecting it'd be the Wilson suspension but it could very easily be the Ref's not calling something he felt should have been called, or maybe it's them putting away the whistles in the 3rd after calling ticky tacky calls in the first.

Reactions: Corby78 and Jags

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
It is entirely his fault, Ovechkin could truck guys but he doesn't because he's smarter than that. Many guys around the league could do what Wilson does but they don't want to hurt their team, and maybe other players.

It's not that Ovi is smarter then that it's that Ovi is to slow now a days to light people up like he use to. He comes in they've got plenty of time to brace/pullup/dodge it or they've gotten rid of the puck so he just brushes past them in stead.

Essentially everyone bitching about Wilson railroading little dudes either doesn't want hitting in the game or needs to start advocating for a height and weight limit on ice. A guy going as fast as Wilson is just gonna crunch people, and we've already seen angles showing that the hit was through the body and not the head so this "illegal" or "dirty" tone people are taking with it is ridiculous.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Meh, no big deal. There is not enough separating these two teams for it to be a quick series. I voted 7 games and I'm very comfortable with that.

DSP on the 1st line is fine. What are you going to do? Wilson is suspended, Stephenson is not a right winger and you cannot play Ovechkin and Vrana on the same line while Sullivan is hard matching Crosby and Guentzel against them. It will be a massacre.

How about building a third line that can put the puck in the net? What is Eller's role in this series? Penguins are one line team, somehow. Their 3rd line is an absolute black hole and Caps should be dominating that match-up.

I would love to have Burakovsky back to at least push Chiasson out of the line up and give Eller a cycle option in the offensive zone.

PS. Oshie can't take that penalty, no two ways about it.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Got out gritted tonight. We controlled the game but lost. Shit happens. Game 5 at home is huge. Whoever wins game 5 takes the series. Expect game 5 to be way more open. 30+ shots a side.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Awful game, Trotz is a poor coach. Come on, why the heck would you put a grinder on the first line when Oshie is available? Backstrom has to chip in offense and be a leader. Ship him out if he doesn't step up this series, we need stronger players in the core.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
**** this. NHL did their job again.

I have no other words

Guys, stop **** on DSP, he has a great playoffs so far, yeah he doesn't belong to the first line
stop **** on Trotz, he made adjusmnents that won G2 and G3 for us (I'm not even talking about his coaching in the first round 1 win)

----

Even if what Backy said it's true, a shy guy like Nicky, who is in the NHL for a decade, and he has enough with this **** calls/dops decisions that are made every year

-------
NBC crew even doesn't care that they sound like pens fans right now.
Can't recognise Caps player
Doc who scream like a crazy for an ENG, really???

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I'll call out Trotz if I please. He's just a moron for putting a grinder up there and experimenting in a massive playoff game. At least put Oshie up there and move someone up to the second line rather than this guy.

Team needs to play better if they are going to have a chance at a cup this year, far better than what they are showing because Tampa looks good.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

This is troubling and telling (edit: if true, just saw the newer tweets). You wonder how much they harbor the perception the league is out to get them. This reveals it. And other than the surge in the 3rd they played like a team that just had it's nuts clipped. Even then they dictated play but didn't have that killer instinct to shoot and crash the net.

Stop looking for excuses to lose. Stop blaming everyone but yourselves. Next man up. Get the job done.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Those guys are dead weight. Easily the lowest hockey IQs on the team. They suck. Accept it already.

Well at least you admit you think Vrana sucks, which probably colors all your analysis (every game is a 'bad game' for him), instead of doing the usual softshoe two-step boogaloo about how you're not a hater and the guy just needs to be more defensively responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino