Post-Game Talk: Game #4 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
Something is abundant clear with this team...they do not have a killer instinct. They have an inability to put games away. An inability to take control of a series. An unbelievable ability to take awful penalties at inopportune times.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
How can you NOT bump up Oshie? At least he has skill and has success on a first line before.

DSP is slow, cannot handle a opposing teams too line, and doesn’t fit anywhere with Ovi and Kuzy’s style.

because who replaces oshie? dsp? chiasson? vrana who got promoted to a higher line and more ice time and had zero shots?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
We have more than that. Those 2 aren't even our worst forwards. DSP has played better than most of our players.

Nope.

Wow, though. You'll say literally anything to avoid criticizing this team's coach.

If you're referring to the series, maybe. When he's playing within his role.

But tonight? Going into the third period with time to re-evaluate the lines and make changes? No. Laughable.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
DSP is bottom 6 player, and that's probably being generous. Trying him on the first line, I think was a good idea, but once we were down it was time to infuse some energy and it never happened. Like many of you all have stated, we don't have depth. At this point, I don't care if Oshie or Stephenson get bumped up, but one of them has to be on the top line and Vrana needs to be on the second line.

As far as the Pens are concerned. Malkin is clearly hobbled, Brassard has been a nobody, Kessel is hurt. Crosby and Guentzel look good. This team is definitely beatable. They need to win in DC or else they will lose in 6. If they win in DC, I'm driving up to Pitt to catch the game. If there's a chance for the Caps to close in Pittsburgh and I witness it, I can die happy.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
because who replaces oshie? dsp? chiasson? vrana who got promoted to a higher line and more ice time and had zero shots?
Listen, they need a goal and they have 20 minutes. Who gives a crap whos playing on the other lines when you scored 1 goal and your 1st line is a non factor. Put your best players on one unit (two if you do have enough personnel which Caps dont) and go for it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nope.

Wow, though. You'll say literally anything to avoid criticizing this team's coach.

If you're referring to the series, maybe. When he's playing within his role.

But tonight? Going into the third period with time to re-evaluate the lines and make changes? No. Laughable.
Yup. And that's a fact.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Listen, they need a goal and they have 20 minutes. Who gives a crap whos playing on the other lines when you scored 1 goal and your 1st line is a non factor. Put your best players on one unit (two if you do have enough personnel which Caps dont) and go for it.

because who is their best players? wishy washy vrana? so if the caps dont get it done for 50 second shift. they gotta wait 3 mins at least for another good forward to be on the ice?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If you want your best players on the first line then it would be Backstrom, Kuzy and Ovie.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
To all those saying "but who do you promote to line X?" that is the coach's job to figure out and the players' job to execute despite the fact that it's not their usual spot. I wanted DSP at 1RW today, but it was a bad showing, so it's clearly Trotz's responsibility to figure it out and if it's 18, he'll have to adjust. if 13 ends up with Backstrom, he'll have to elevate. It's the playoffs. Rending our garments over not having the perfect guy to plug in is pointless.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yup. And that's a fact.

If it's a fact, you should be able to prove it. You want to cling to your observations and opinions that's fine, but if you want to bring "facts" to the table you'd better bring the real thing.

so let's see some stats, some kind of objective measurement? Don't revert to arrogance now, the decisions you're trying to defend appeared to lose the Capitals this game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I'd consider Conno at RW. He is a gunner, not a grinder. I didn't even see him tonight. At least consider him in the auditions.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I thought we really missed Wilson. I can see us looking back at that suspension as the reason we lost this series... again...

Are you kidding, it will 100% be the reason they lose this series, and they will lose it.

The Caps aren't nearly as deep offensively as the Pens, obviously, so when you lose a guy like Wilson who is such an important driver of possession for line one and have to replace with him a guy who still has another year of getting paid by the Devils who bought him out you get what you get.

The Pens can lose Malkin for a few games, not the entire playoffs mind you, and still get goals, the Caps are not in a position to have to move guys up the lineup that don't belong.

I agree with Backstrom, "f*** this league"! They decided the outcome of a series.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
because who is their best players? wishy washy vrana? so if the caps dont get it done for 50 second shift. they gotta wait 3 mins at least for another good forward to be on the ice?
Oshie, not Vrana. Yeah, they gotta wait. They didnt do jack with your strategy of spreading power so I think my theory deserves to be used at least.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Time for some nonsense? Kuzy and Backs wont ever play on the same line for the obvious reasons. Why I should explain such obvious things like I meant three best players at their positions.
Then Backstrom should be with Ovie and Oshie?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Are you kidding, it will 100% be the reason they lose this series, and they will lose it.

The Caps aren't nearly as deep offensively as the Pens, obviously, so when you lose a guy like Wilson who is such an important driver of possession for line one and have to replace with him a guy who still has another year of getting paid by the Devils who bought him out you get what you get.

The Pens can lose Malkin for a few games, not the entire playoffs mind you, and still get goals, the Caps are not in a position to have to move guys up the lineup that don't belong.

I agree with Backstrom, "**** this league"! They decided the outcome of a series.

its 1 game, holy canoly dude, even with tom wilson, the nhl wasant letting us have a 3-1 lead

Reactions: Sam Spade

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Everyone on hear goes bananas... Here we go again!!! :scared:

I feel it too, but it's not a foregone conclusion. That's why they play the games.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
It's just semantics at this point. We don't have the depth. It's clear DSP isn't going to work, so we can go ahead and rule out Chaisson and Gersich as well. Rule out our centers. So that leaves Oshie, Vrana, Stephenson, Connolly to promote up. Vrana on the top line would be too soft and not good for possession. Connolly is a plug. So you have two choices pick either. It's that simple. The fact Trotz didn't even try is insanity. They have to win one of the next two to get TW back.

I like Backstrom's emotion. And yeah, f*** this league. But winners win. They sack up against adversity and win, this team has shown flashes that they can sack up. They can still do this, it's definitely going to be tougher though. This game was a stinker, come out in front of the home crowd and make it happen.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad