Post-Game Talk: Game #4 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I just don't understand how they can't rally with the us vs. the world mentality especially now. I'm ok with how they played yesterday overall. I'm still not worried, I will be if they lose game 5. Trotz's inability to adjust was awful, and his challenge and clueless look made me laugh and pissed off at the same time. He looked like he didn't understand anything that was going on. I think he will make some adjustments, he's going to have to. One PP goal isn't going to cut it. They did sit back and wait too much, it is what it is at this point that's how they play typically 1 period per game. They need a Tom Wilson pre-game speech to fire them up.

Let's be real though, none of us expected to beat the Pens, but we've seen we can. Reminds me of the Rangers series years ago when we went up 3-1. No one thought we could do that but we did. Then when we lost 3 in a row it made it that much worse. Let's hope they exercise their demons, it's now or never. For the core, for Trotz, and maybe for the young guys. Need Bura back, he had a few good games last year against the Pens.

Reactions: RandyHolt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Couldn't have said it better. After the first 9 games, I tended to agree that something felt different about this team. After Wilson was suspended for 3 games, I was worried. After they lost my worry went to the next level. Mild mannered Backstrom has a we are getting screwed by the league moment after the game and I get that old feeling in place of that new feeling.

The Caps can win g5 and change the narrative but I think its at least as likely now that they lose 5 and 6. Its possible that what made this team feel different this season was in fact Wilson

Wilson was a major factor, without a doubt. I also think the lowered expectations play a role in removing some of the pressure.

IMO this is probably a locker room that has some degree of "screw them, they didn't think we could make it this far" attitude... a little bit of the Vegas vibe. This is not a glitzy team that can stash a Kessel or Williams or even Ovechkin on the 3rd line.

I don't think they're done if they lose G5 but they will need to keep playing their game if it goes 7. When Wilson comes back for that game he should play his same STYLE, just pick his targets better. Don't hit the short, weak guys hard enough to break their faces. Just hit them hard enough to knock them on their asses. But keep hitting.

BT had some favorable comments about DSP after the last game which is troubling. That first line was DOA with DSP. BT has been making some adjustments this year so hopefully he's just stroking egos and will change things up on home ice tomorrow.

Whatever the lines are this team had better be ready for ADVERSITY. Go into it with a trench war mentality from the start. Expect to PK like crazy. Be ready, and come hard.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The truly frustrating aspect here is that Pittsburgh's not even playing that well. Their top line has but that's basically it. No Kessel, hardly any Malkin. Hardly any really amazing pushes by them and yet it's still enough. The Caps are just fairly inept when it comes to work ethic, hockey sense and consistency in the offensive zone. That was on display in Game 4 more than any game this series. They've done a lot better than I expected defensively in these playoffs but forward depth and team play offensively are just as bad as usual. Trotz gave me the sense during G4 that they wanted to sneak out a win rather than go and really take it. It's a loser mentality and he never seems to push the right buttons to have these guys really going when it matters. He needs an intensity level that they can feed off of and it's just not there. It becomes on the team leaders. The problem with that is they're not in their primes and don't have the mental toughness resume to consistently come up big. I won't be at all surprised if they drop the next two. We'll see how they handle it but there's got to be way more urgency and intensity than they showed in this game.

Reactions: tycoonheart

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Wilson was a major factor, without a doubt. I also think the lowered expectations play a role in removing some of the pressure.

IMO this is probably a locker room that has some degree of "screw them, they didn't think we could make it this far" attitude... a little bit of the Vegas vibe. This is not a glitzy team that can stash a Kessel or Williams or even Ovechkin on the 3rd line.

I don't think they're done if they lose G5 but they will need to keep playing their game if it goes 7. When Wilson comes back for that game he should play his same STYLE, just pick his targets better. Don't hit the short, weak guys hard enough to break their faces. Just hit them hard enough to knock them on their asses. But keep hitting.

BT had some favorable comments about DSP after the last game which is troubling. That first line was DOA with DSP. BT has been making some adjustments this year so hopefully he's just stroking egos and will change things up on home ice tomorrow.

Whatever the lines are this team had better be ready for ADVERSITY. Go into it with a trench war mentality from the start. Expect to PK like crazy. Be ready, and come hard.
At the outset of the season many of us did not have high expectations for this team after the departures of Williams, MAJO, Schultz, Alzner and Shattenkirk as well as rolling with so many rookies in the line up. Once the playoffs started I viewed this team as playing with house money. Any success that they would have in the playoffs would surely be welcomed but it would also be somewhat of a surprise. All of this seems to have worked in the team's favor since the pressure has not existed as in years past.

Regarding the line up for game 5, not sure of the number of minutes that Gersich played in game 4 but I'd be interested in possibly rolling with 7 defenseman and putting Jerabek back in in lieu of Gersich. Move DSP back down and try Connolly with 8 and 92.
8-92-10
18/13 -19 -77
13/18 -20 - 25
83/39

74/6
9/2
44/26

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Big fat NO to Connolly on the top line. Trotz may not see any other option aside from DSP but it's got to be Stephenson.

Ovie-Kuz-Stephenson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Gersich-Eller-DSP
Connolly-Beagle-Chiasson

Reactions: searle and Capsman

kogeh

May 14, 2011
Zagreb
if all of our players had the passion and character that oshie showed we would sweep shitbirds. love what osh and nicky did. go out there fired up and beat their asses.

Reactions: RandyHolt and g00n

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The truly frustrating aspect here is that Pittsburgh's not even playing that well. Their top line has but that's basically it. No Kessel, hardly any Malkin. Hardly any really amazing pushes by them and yet it's still enough. The Caps are just fairly inept when it comes to work ethic, hockey sense and consistency in the offensive zone. That was on display in Game 4 more than any game this series. They've done a lot better than I expected defensively in these playoffs but forward depth and team play offensively are just as bad as usual. Trotz gave me the sense during G4 that they wanted to sneak out a win rather than go and really take it. It's a loser mentality and he never seems to push the right buttons to have these guys really going when it matters. He needs an intensity level that they can feed off of and it's just not there. It becomes on the team leaders. The problem with that is they're not in their primes and don't have the mental toughness resume to consistently come up big. I won't be at all surprised if they drop the next two. We'll see how they handle it but there's got to be way more urgency and intensity than they showed in this game.

Yup. This series is theirs for the taking. The stars by and large were no-shows yesterday and the team played mostly not to lose. That can't happen on Saturday. They need to get back to playing with reckless abandon and forcing the issue like they did with surprising levels of effectiveness in G1-G3.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Big fat NO to Connolly on the top line. Trotz may not see any other option aside from DSP but it's got to be Stephenson.

Ovie-Kuz-Stephenson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Gersich-Eller-DSP
Connolly-Beagle-Chiasson
I would have entertained Stephenson there, but I didn't think that he played RW just center and left.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I’m not sure what going with 7D would achieve, honestly, given that defense hasnt been the issue (in a way it was last year), so the risk of confusing pairings vastly outweighs any benefit.

Dont hate me for this suggestion, but... if we’re missing a top-6 winger, would putting Beagle or Chiasson on Backstrom’s wing in a shut-down capacity really be so bad?

8-92-77
18-19-83
13-20-25
10-72-39

So very far from ideal, but if our second line is going to be tasked with keeping Crosby off the scoresheet then we need scoring from our top line.

(Also 18-92-13 would be an awfully fast line, but you don’t really want to leave Ovi with shutdown duties).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Ovie-Kuz-Stephenson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Gersich-Eller-DSP
Connolly-Beagle-Chiasson

I would be ok with this in G6 when they can't control the matchups but not in G5. G5 they need 18-19-77 to be in Crosby's back pocket the entire game. Put Vrana on the top line for G5 and tell them to take no prisoners. Or put Oshie on the top line with 8 and 92 and move Chiasson to a defensive 2RW role. 18-19-39 wouldn't provide much offense I do think but they'd be tough to play against. Trotz needs to win matchups on Saturday. Thinking more about it, I might do:

8-92-77
18-19-39
13-20-25
63-83-10

Oshie can provide more skill that DSP lacks to go along with the physical presence and defensive responsibility. 18-19-39 would be solid defensively. I like that 3rd line and the 4th line plays 6 minutes.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Actually

8-19-77
18-92-13
10-20-25
62-83-39

Would look interesting when we have last change. Depends on how effective line 2 can be, of course.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Put Eller on the top line. Let Stephenson play 3C.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Eller
Vrana/Gersich - Backstrom - Oshie

The 3rd and 4th lines are complete non-factors right now as it is. Load up the top six and bias the minutes.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd just swap Connolly & DSP for G5. They are what they are. It's up to them to execute far more effectively. I don't see Trotz changing very much. Maybe after they lose another one.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
I'd just swap Connolly & DSP for G5. They are what they are. It's up to them to execute far more effectively. I don't see Trotz changing very much. Maybe after they lose another one.
Dsp had one amazing playoff game on habs...he scored a game winning goal

Every other time he's hardly noticeable
Surprised he's cracking the caps playoff lineup

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I like getting Ovi back together with Nicky and Oshie.

Match them against Crosby line.

Hopefully Kuzy can get the best of a hobbled Malkin.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Well if a heat of the moment remark made to nobody immediately after coming off the ice after a tough loss doesn’t confirm that then nothing will I guess right?

I’m not saying you are wrong about the history possibly weighing on the team overall. But no way do I believe this can be cited as an example of that.

Honestly I think it was a d**k move for the guy to even report this. There is a reason locker rooms are not immediately open to reporters after games. If he wanted to ask Backstrom about it in an interview later, ‘Nick you seemed pretty frustrated coming off the ice can you comment on that?’ then fine but this wasn’t right IMO. And if I was a Caps media relations person I would tell him so.
If something is true, it's never wrong to report it. If this particular thing isn't true, Wyshynski should obviously be fired.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Also, hope they are back to the drawing board for the PP. They are really shadowing Ovechkin against his patented one timer, aside from the amazing pass by Backie on the Oshie G, they were not a threat on the PP. Maybe move Ovy lower closer to the goaline or do some more interchanging.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I’m not sure what going with 7D would achieve, honestly, given that defense hasnt been the issue (in a way it was last year), so the risk of confusing pairings vastly outweighs any benefit.

Dont hate me for this suggestion, but... if we’re missing a top-6 winger, would putting Beagle or Chiasson on Backstrom’s wing in a shut-down capacity really be so bad?

8-92-77
18-19-83
13-20-25
10-72-39

So very far from ideal, but if our second line is going to be tasked with keeping Crosby off the scoresheet then we need scoring from our top line.

(Also 18-92-13 would be an awfully fast line, but you don’t really want to leave Ovi with shutdown duties).

I actually don't hate the idea of putting Beagle on the 2nd line for game 5. Being at home they can matchup against Crosby the entire game, then I think the Eller line can matchup against Malkin, freeing up Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. Game 6 would be tough because of the last change but I really don't mind it for tomorrow.

It is the unprecedented move that 7 d was last year and that was an epic failure but I think this one could work for one game, or God forbid, Game 7 as well

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Also, hope they are back to the drawing board for the PP. They are really shadowing Ovechkin against his patented one timer, aside from the amazing pass by Backie on the Oshie G, they were not a threat on the PP. Maybe move Ovy lower closer to the goaline or do some more interchanging.
If anything it seemed less like they were shadowing him than taking away the passing lane(s) to him to begin with. He did move lower in a few of the PPs but I don't think that's the solution. The solution is for Carlson to get it back to Backstrom and for 74/8/19 to change the angle as needed to get him teed up. They just stopped trying basically and instead went with him crashing down for the backdoor play and it's just dumb. You can't give up on your bread & butter that easily. They just weren't into this game nearly enough in any offensive facet of the game and much of that tone was set by Trotz going with DSP and sticking with him until the end despite all signs of it not working. He absolutely can't go back to it regardless of whether there are a lack of overly appealing options otherwise.

Reactions: twabby

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our PP is floundering. PP2 is a complete joke, and its the price we pay for never letting guys like Vrana get any real PP time during the RS.

Oshie has to shoot every time the puck hits his stick. Nick can shoot but needs to coordinate for a screen and Ovi crashing the net at the same time. I would like to see Nick take a full slapper, and not just his solid wrister, forced to shoot. Otherwise with Ovi out of the picture, the onus is on Carlson. Maybe we will see them switch. Or, should have seen them switch.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
If anything it seemed less like they were shadowing him than taking away the passing lane(s) to him to begin with. He did move lower in a few of the PPs but I don't think that's the solution. The solution is for Carlson to get it back to Backstrom and for 74/8/19 to change the angle as needed to get him teed up. They just stopped trying basically and instead went with him crashing down for the backdoor play and it's just dumb. You can't give up on your bread & butter that easily. They just weren't into this game nearly enough in any offensive facet of the game and much of that tone was set by Trotz going with DSP and sticking with him until the end despite all signs of it not working. He absolutely can't go back to it regardless of whether there are a lack of overly appealing options otherwise.
An underlying problem seems to be that Carlson believes he's a much bigger weapon than he really is. It's bad to defer to Ovechkin too much and force passes, but Carlson seems to think being the triggerman himself is the best option if the pass to Ovechkin isn't blatantly obvious.

He's obviously good on the PP, but he has some big flaws IMO. It's too bad they legitimately have no other options, with Niskanen not worth trying and Orlov and Djoos being lefties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad