Post-Game Talk: Game #4 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
hmm...no conversation at all about Backstrom's post game fit?

What would you like to discuss? Assuming it happened exactly as the one reporter said what do you believe it means?

For me it is a nothing moment of frustration after a tough loss. If you believe it has much larger implications please explain.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What would you like to discuss? Assuming it happened exactly as the one reporter said what do you believe it means?

For me it is a nothing moment of frustration after a tough loss. If you believe it has much larger implications please explain.

If it's true it suggests he (and maybe the team) feel like they've been screwed by the league which can foster a victim mentality. They can go into games/shifts expecting the worst. Subconsciously or consciously expecting something bad or sinister to happen can cause it to manifest.

When you have a franchise, and core, who have issues with choking in the playoffs in horrible ways then that is not the mindset you want. I would rather they yell "f*** this league" BEFORE the game as a way to fire themselves up, and as a statement of resolve to succeed despite any perceived disadvantage.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You have to take it in the context of being literally immediately after a game IMO.

Anyone who has ever played sports has come off the field/ice/whatever frustrated by a call or something that went against them in a loss and said F the refs or F this krap or whatever but a few minutes later when taking off their gear been fine and not blaming anyone but themselves. It happens and means absolutely nothing IMO.

Trying to make this some kind of referendum on the mindset of the team is silly. If he had said something similar in an interview later after having the chance to calm down then sure. But that wasn’t the case.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So Caps were better in both home games and were worse in away games. Series tied now. Pretty fair.

G4 was more defensive by both teams and the scoring chances were rare. The lack of Wilson and poor offensive depth were clearly visible. Some of it is on Trotz surely. Some is on players.

Did anyone expect Wilsonaless Caps will cruise through Pens to get the 3rd win easily? I did not. Pens rallied and won.

But defensively yesterday could be a best game for Caps so far. Limited Pens most of the game. I liked that. Keep that and tweak offensive plan for G5 with the last change. Win G5. And it's all OK.

Personnel wise I dont know. Oshie is still not the player he was last season. Bottom-6 guys are worse than Bura was before his injury. What a pity.

Maybe it's time to split 8 and 92 to make Pens hands full.

Stephenson-Backstrom-Oshie (would like to save one line to stability purposes, also proved to be effective against Crosby)
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Connolly
Ovechkin-Eller-DSP
Boyd-Beagle-Chiasson

We could use Bura right now... And Wilson.

PS: Notes to self: Beagle needs to be signed again (for cheaper). Wilson will cost much more next season. Vrana is not top-6 ready still (not a huge problem atm). Gersich... well, I said he's not ready after his 1st period. You guys were offensive :P

Reactions: third man in

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Two pictures also.

DcUKDvMWkAUTVDM.jpg

The angle we didn't have on TV.

DcUSumFWkAAI-6e.jpg

This kid does great things. Have to acknowledge that. I don't know about his voice or punchability of his face, he and Crosby are doing good.

So force feed them with 18-19-77.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sure. Its the here we go again moment. I know many don't think the team history has any effect, but I think it does.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’d be stunned if the Caps scored more than 3 goals total these last 2-3 games.

I gave in and watched 6 minutes of the 2nd. Waste of time. Oshie’s dumbass loser penalty was the deciding factor.

Forget the skill aspect, if this team doesn’t get smarter, they’ll lose in 6. And I’m pretty sure they will because i can’t see that moron of a coach getting their asses in gear.

This **** is infuriating and why i just can’t invest anymore.
The series is tied. Wow people really get insufferable around here after a loss don’t they?

Reactions: twabby

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m going to take the Backstrom thing with a grain of salt. That former Puck Daddy Guy (don’t feel like looking up how to spell his name :laugh:) has said some borderline things about the Capitals before that have been very far from the truth. I honestly think he makes things up in order to get clicks. When his “back up” to what he said is Rob Rossi you really can’t take that quote truthfully.

I’m glad that Backstrom was pissed and slammed his stick. He rarely shows frustration publically.

The Oshie hit was dumb at the end on his part but at the same time I really don’t have a problem with it. Letang has been and always will be a dbag and deserved to get hit. At least TJ was willing to go out there and not throw the towel in and play till the whistle.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
8-19-13
18-92-77

Have we ever tried that top line? Defensively better than if Kuzy was in the middle, and that second line would have speed, skill and a bit of grit while defensively solid.

The issue here isnt that Wilson got suspended - its that we were realistically one true top-6 forward short while healthy. The level of offence that Bura, Vrana and Wilson actually bring on a regular basis means no more than one of them should have been planned for our top-6. Bura and Vrana are basically identical players with similar benefits and flaws, and neither are ready for a regular top-6 role. I’m not convinced Bura ever will.

Wilson is arguably a third liner stepping up to top-6 duty, Conn and Vrana are borderline third liners who dont fit on the fourth, while DSP is a fourth liner who was stepping up to a third line spot. We dont have the RW depth we needed.

Reactions: maacoshark

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
On their 2nd goal, I have just one negative thought.

Why the ref didn't blow the whistle earlier, everybody lost the puck at one moment.

btw, on that Kuznetsov attempt, the whistle was blown quicker

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Sure. Its the here we go again moment. I know many don't think the team history has any effect, but I think it does.

Well if a heat of the moment remark made to nobody immediately after coming off the ice after a tough loss doesn’t confirm that then nothing will I guess right?

I’m not saying you are wrong about the history possibly weighing on the team overall. But no way do I believe this can be cited as an example of that.

Honestly I think it was a d**k move for the guy to even report this. There is a reason locker rooms are not immediately open to reporters after games. If he wanted to ask Backstrom about it in an interview later, ‘Nick you seemed pretty frustrated coming off the ice can you comment on that?’ then fine but this wasn’t right IMO. And if I was a Caps media relations person I would tell him so.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That game shifted with a 3 minute stretch where they failed to score on one of their 3 or 4 terrific opportunities on the PP, Oshie takes a crazy dumb penalty, and the Pens get a lucky break. PPG Arena was dead ass quiet and the Caps were right where they wanted to be until that point. That shift gave them momentum and breathed some life back into a crowd who very clearly were very nervous.

I hope Trotz mixes it up for Saturday. Those lines weren’t ideal. Also, maybe try to focus a little more on that Sid guy. He’s been out there for every single goal this series. I hear he’s pretty good at the hockey.

Reactions: calicapsfan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well at least you admit you think Vrana sucks, which probably colors all your analysis (every game is a 'bad game' for him), instead of doing the usual softshoe two-step boogaloo about how you're not a hater and the guy just needs to be more defensively responsible.
I don't hate Vrana. I just don't think he is a very good player. Not yet anyway.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You have to take it in the context of being literally immediately after a game IMO.

Anyone who has ever played sports has come off the field/ice/whatever frustrated by a call or something that went against them in a loss and said F the refs or F this krap or whatever but a few minutes later when taking off their gear been fine and not blaming anyone but themselves. It happens and means absolutely nothing IMO.

Trying to make this some kind of referendum on the mindset of the team is silly. If he had said something similar in an interview later after having the chance to calm down then sure. But that wasn’t the case.

It's not silly it's how things work in every human brain. It's a snapshot of what lies beneath when the barriers fall due to fatigue and stress. If he'd said "f*** those guys" it would reveal something else. "f*** this league" would not even come to mind if on some level there wasn't some feeling the league was screwing them, and that feeling was unresolved.

They need to get over it. Now.

Reactions: twabby

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's not silly it's how things work in every human brain. It's a snapshot of what lies beneath when the barriers fall due to fatigue and stress. If he'd said "**** those guys" it would reveal something else. "**** this league" would not even come to mind if on some level there wasn't some feeling the league was screwing them, and that feeling was unresolved.

They need to get over it. Now.

You are reaching for something to try to confirm some theory you have about the mental makeup of the team.

Shocker, in the heat of the moment when coming off the ice Backstrom wasn’t happy about Wilson’s suspension. If he had said F the refs, F this team, F that team, or whatever in that situation it would mean squat but you would say it was in some way telling because you are looking to confirm something already believe.

I heard Backstrom stubbed his toe the other day and yelled F something. We are still waiting for confirmation of what the something is but regardless in your opinion does this confirm 100% of what you already believe about the team or only 95%?

I’ll give you the last word as I don’t believe I have anything more to add.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You are reaching for something to try to confirm some theory you have about the mental makeup of the team.

Shocker, in the heat of the moment when coming off the ice Backstrom wasn’t happy about Wilson’s suspension. If he had said F the refs, F this team, F that team, or whatever in that situation it would mean squat but you would say it was in some way telling because you are looking to confirm something already believe.

I heard Backstrom stubbed his toe the other day and yelled F something. We are still waiting for confirmation of what the something is but regardless in your opinion does this confirm 100% of what you already believe about the team or only 95%?

I’ll give you the last word as I don’t believe I have anything more to add.

Ok, whatever. Dispute known facts about psychology and neurobiology, no big deal.

That said, it's coming from "Puck Daddy" which makes me suspicious. He's a known Pens/Crosby slurper despite his denials, and I'm pretty sure he was using his platform to try and go after Wilson, too.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They need to hard match against Sid in Game 5 with Backstrom’s line. Pittsburgh is a one line team and it’s not a surprise that 8-92-25 got eaten alive by 87 last night in terms of shots and chances.

18-19-77
8-92-13
10-20-25

Is the Kuznetsov line defensively deficient with 13 replacing 25? Certainly, but it should be able to create chances and lines 2-4 of PIT have shown nothing so far. Get advantageous matchups for the Kuznetsov line and have the Backstrom line do the heavy lifting against Sid and Jake. It’s time for Trotz to show that he can adjust.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
8-19-13
18-92-77

Have we ever tried that top line? Defensively better than if Kuzy was in the middle, and that second line would have speed, skill and a bit of grit while defensively solid.

The issue here isnt that Wilson got suspended - its that we were realistically one true top-6 forward short while healthy. The level of offence that Bura, Vrana and Wilson actually bring on a regular basis means no more than one of them should have been planned for our top-6. Bura and Vrana are basically identical players with similar benefits and flaws, and neither are ready for a regular top-6 role. I’m not convinced Bura ever will.

Wilson is arguably a third liner stepping up to top-6 duty, Conn and Vrana are borderline third liners who dont fit on the fourth, while DSP is a fourth liner who was stepping up to a third line spot. We dont have the RW depth we needed.
I agree with this post. We have depth issues. What's bad is that at the beginning if the season Stephenson got cut and was sent down to Hershey. He wasnt good enough to make the team and now he is one of our better players and playing on the top 6. Not sure he should be in the top 6 but we don't have any other options. Right now I would say Vrana is a 3rd line player with the potential to be a top 6.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They need to hard match against Sid in Game 5 with Backstrom’s line. Pittsburgh is a one line team and it’s not a surprise that 8-92-25 got eaten alive by 87 last night in terms of shots and chances.

18-19-77
8-92-13
10-20-25

Is the Kuznetsov line defensively deficient with 13 replacing 25? Certainly, but it should be able to create chances and lines 2-4 of PIT have shown nothing so far. Get advantageous matchups for the Kuznetsov line and have the Backstrom line do the heavy lifting against Sid and Jake. It’s time for Trotz to show that he can adjust.
That might work at home when we have the last change. But on the road the Pens have matched Crosby against the Kuzy line.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I think they've shown less of the monkey in these playoffs, than in the past. Doesn't mean it can't just materialize again. But at moments when self-pity and fear could have taken over their game - OT in Columbus in Game 3 down 0-2 in the series; after Game 1 v. the Pens - it really hasn't.

I thought they played a pretty good road playoff game last night in the face of a good deal of adversity and against a desperate and highly-motivated Pens team that really had to have that game.

But Jeezus, shoot the f***ing puck.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought they played pretty good up until the Malkin goal. Trotz grasping at straws challenging the call didn't help. There wasn't enough of a response after that. It was just your fairly typical game management, wait-it-out type game overall. Only it doesn't work when you're behind. It was a game where Trotz needed to be on everyone to be on their game and hardly anyone was, esp. offensively. This is why he always ends up in long series. Their leaders also performed poorly for the most part and it's on them to be much better. I didn't see much in the way of trying to win one for Wilson in this game above and beyond their typical playoff level of play. They had a good road first period and settled the game down. But they never shifted toward taking the series over and find themselves exactly where they deserve to be.

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
There is definitely a mental aspect in sports and there's no way the vets on this team aren't affected by history. Although I don't think it's normally a huge effect. They're professionals and are so focused they aren't usually affected by crowd noise, history, distractions, whatever. But it is there. This team absolutely wilted in game 7 last year. No energy or push in the 3rd period, almost just waiting for the inevitable at that point. One of the things I remember about the series last year is how they said Backstrom just sat in his locker in utter shock/disbelief afterwards. These guys who have been through it repeatedly can feel the pressure and it will only get worse as the series drags on. I don't want to be a typical doom & gloomer but I'm not too optimistic for the rest of the series especially with Wilson out 2 more games.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
They had a good road first period and settled the game down. But they never shifted toward taking the series over and find themselves exactly where they deserve to be.

Yeah - sadly, that's not how we roll. And it won't be until we beat the Pens in a series.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If it's true it suggests he (and maybe the team) feel like they've been screwed by the league which can foster a victim mentality. They can go into games/shifts expecting the worst. Subconsciously or consciously expecting something bad or sinister to happen can cause it to manifest.

When you have a franchise, and core, who have issues with choking in the playoffs in horrible ways then that is not the mindset you want. I would rather they yell "**** this league" BEFORE the game as a way to fire themselves up, and as a statement of resolve to succeed despite any perceived disadvantage.

Couldn't have said it better. After the first 9 games, I tended to agree that something felt different about this team. After Wilson was suspended for 3 games, I was worried. After they lost my worry went to the next level. Mild mannered Backstrom has a we are getting screwed by the league moment after the game and I get that old feeling in place of that new feeling.

The Caps can win g5 and change the narrative but I think its at least as likely now that they lose 5 and 6. Its possible that what made this team feel different this season was in fact Wilson

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
No Wilson definitely was a factor. The other factor that we are giving little attention to is that last night the Caps as they had done most of this season rolled with four rookies in the line up (Vrana, Stephenson, Djoos and Gersich). Not sure how this compares with other current playoff teams, but imho anything past the number of two rookies seems to be a sizeable rookie presence on a playoff team.

Other observations, good bounce back game for Orlov as I thought he played like crap in game 3, Holtby is in the zone! Didn't realize Chiasson was just 27, he skates like an old man stuck in mud, you think he'd realize that he's playing for his next contract/ the continuance of a career in the NHL. Anyway he's not coming back next season. During the regular season was of the mindset that the Caps need to move on from Beagle and not resign him, but after watching him in the playoffs and his performance on the PK and in the dot, resign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->