Post-Game Talk: Game #4 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
you cant have one line and thats it. your gonna have dsp with kuznetsov? if he was that bad like you all say, is there a difference?
Actually you can and Pittsburgh showing that this series. Crosby line makes a difference. Their other lines look bad as hell. And they still tied this series

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Last year when letang misses the penguins find a way to win.

Game one with Malkin out pens find a way to win.

Trotz loses Wilson and Caps get zero even strength goals, few in game adjustments - and 3 shots on goal total in the 3rd (when they go into period trailing).

That’s a huge difference. You just can’t win with a coach like Trotz when you have a lack of talent the Caps have VS precious years.

and game 2? and game 3?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd go:

8-92-18/18-92-8 (paging Adam Oates :eek:)
13-19-77 (yeah, I know Vrana can be a liability but 19 and 77 are plenty responsible)
10-20-25
Gersich/Boyd-83-39

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So what? If you don't have the balls to try fixing what clearly isn't working, and is in fact destroying the value of your first line, you're making bad coaching decisions.

It's really that simple. The fact that you can't admit even that says something about you. How about putting Stephenson on the first line, stashing Vrana on the second (where he was very effective in the 3rd period of game 2, and then bury the bottom 6?

Was that really particularly hard?
Wtf is wrong with you? We have no one to bump up. I'd be up for Stephenson being bumped up. I love the guy but he us not a rw. I'm sure he could adjust but I'm not sure it would work. And if we do bump up Stephenson who then plays on the 2nd line? Right now we don't have 12 forwards that should be in the NHL.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Most, including myself are disappointed due to the Caps were in this game and stupid stuff cost it. Overall there is a lot of positives and a lot to be excited about. Consider this for a second. This could have been a series clinching game if not for some lucky bounces for the Pens. I'm ecstatic we have Holtby playing like he is.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
gersich definitely needs time in the minors and today wasn't the day to find that out. dude was stumbling all over the place. He did have one good chance tho, but nothing came of that and he was bland the rest of the game.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No, a coach should have a feel for what is and isn’t working. Not be a bird repeatedly flying into a window. Trying a different line combo would have had everything to gain and nothing to lose. It’s not like they were going to get their mojo in the last half of the 3rd period.
Wow. Totally clueless. This team has no depth. We have players in the lineup that shouldn't be on an NHL roster. Our best chance of winning this series us to keep it low scoring.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
gersich definitely needs time in the minors and today wasn't the day to find that out. dude was stumbling all over the place. He did have one good chance tho, but nothing came of that and he was bland the rest of the game.
He made a couple rookie mistakes. He just isnt ready but we have no one else.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wtf is wrong with you? We have no one to bump up. I'd be up for Stephenson being bumped up. I love the guy but he us not a rw. I'm sure he could adjust but I'm not sure it would work. And if we do bump up Stephenson who then plays on the 2nd line? Right now we don't have 12 forwards that should be in the NHL.

But if, but if, what if...

If deserves a shot when what you're doing is clearly not working, first of all. It's fine being cautious about those things when tied, I guess, but when you need a goal and you haven't gotten any offense from line 1 all game, you can't afford to be concerned about that.

If we bump Stephenson, Vrana plays second line. Same way he did in period 3 of Game 3, when Stephenson was possibly hurt (and later playing on the third line). Vrana had three of the Caps' best chances and was thriving with the extra ice time, is clearly a player that needs more reps to find a rhythm within the game. Stephenson also wasn't a LW, until he was. Get into the offensive zone and that kind of thing barely matters anymore.

Why do you think that playing one player way, way over his head (and established ceiling) is better than giving your best young players a chance to succeed?

Reactions: calicapsfan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wow. Totally clueless. This team has no depth. We have players in the lineup that shouldn't be on an NHL roster. Our best chance of winning this series us to keep it low scoring.

We do, and our coach elected to play them with 3 minutes left in the game (DSP and Chiasson), and rode with one on the top line all game.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I thought we really missed Wilson. I can see us looking back at that suspension as the reason we lost this series... again...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
One important fact that I will ding Trotz on. They should've had a practice without Willy yesterday even if they didn't know he'd be suspended so guys could get a feel for the new combos. I don't get the impression that that happened.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We do, and our coach elected to play them with 3 minutes left in the game (DSP and Chiasson), and rode with one on the top line all game.
We have more than that. Those 2 aren't even our worst forwards. DSP has played better than most of our players.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
How can you NOT bump up Oshie? At least he has skill and has success on a first line before.

DSP is slow, cannot handle a opposing teams too line, and doesn’t fit anywhere with Ovi and Kuzy’s style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark