Post-Game Talk: GAME #36: Canucks 4, Oilers 2: VAN wins the Sam Gagner Invitational (and is back to .500 on W/L)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Entertaining game. Edmonton shot themselves in the foot with all the delay of game penalties. Team won the game with the PP and McDavid matchup.

- just absolutely outstanding by the group of 5 guys, especially Horvat and Tanev, tasked with playing against McDavid/Draisaitl. Not only contained them, completely neutered them and won the possession matchup. Tanev is back to form as arguably the best shutdown defender in the game. I didn’t like the notion of Eriksson against McDavid but full credit as he did well.

- conversely, Hitchcock really failed by allowing that matchup to happen so easily. Finally double-shifted McDavid late against Gudbranson and the puck instantly in the net.

- Boeser-Pettersson were lethal on the PP and horrible at ES. Didn’t help they were always on the ice with Gudbranson but they spent most of the night pinned in their zone by 3rd liners. Leivo really not good tonight and looked very slow in this very fast game.

- Gaudette was good in the first half of the game, did nothing wrong ... and was benched.

- Motte continues to play well.

- Gudbranson just rubbish. Stuck in his own zone all night until Hutton could finally get the puck and rescue him. Slow to the corner on a retrievable puck on the first goal, took nobody on the 2nd. Again, the difference in level of performance between Biega last night and Gudbranson tonight is just comical.

- Stecher and Pouliot were just hanging on all night and was a miracle they didn’t get scored on. Pouliot just can’t keep up when the pace of the game rises.

- I’m no Del Zotto fan but he was having a very effective month of hockey aside from two dumb late penalties and it’s absurd that Pouliot is in over him.

- Markstrom solid again. Really on a roll looking solid right now.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Whats crazy is theres a 2016 redraft thread going right now and Juolevi just got voted at 15th. I dont think many of us would agree he should go that high. I know theres a few guys who are still on the list Id take over him but i guess for other fans is still living on the potential he once had

Juolevi can’t defend at any level and his attitude is an issue. No way he should see the first round in a re-draft. That pick was a miss

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Show some class man.

I have very little sympathy for someone who thinks Linden Vey and Jayson Megna are his long lost sons.

The only other coach I can think of who was worse than Willie D at the time was Eakins, who's basically Willie D minus all the niceness, and mustache.

Reactions: daddyohsix

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

That’s some major league salt right there. Especially with Lucic taking massive charges at anyone on the Canucks roster under six feet tall.

tenor.gif

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Over the last few games, Tanev has reverted back to his old self. Was glued to the McDavid-Draisaitl combination (along with Edler and the Horvat line) and did a masterful job at neutralizing them, kept them in the red in terms of possession. When Tanev is healthy and in form, he's one of the best shutdown defensemen in the game.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I have very little sympathy for someone who thinks Linden Vey and Jayson Megna are his long lost sons.

The only other coach I can think of who was worse than Willie D at the time was Eakins, who's basically Willie D minus all the niceness, and mustache.

Jayson Megna. There’s a name I hope I never hear again.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The oil got a new coach boost .. now I see them falling off a cliff again. Their depth beyond McDavid and Draisaitl is a joke

McD, Draisaitl, and RNH.

But the biggest problem of that team is it's pretty much a one man show, if McD isn't carrying 90% of the load, they' pretty much f***ed.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
The oil got a new coach boost .. now I see them falling off a cliff again. Their depth beyond McDavid and Draisaitl is a joke

Honestly, if we didn't get those 3 unforced errors (TooManyMan + 2 Delay of games) they would have probably won this game. They outplayed us, our special teams just outperformed theirs on the day.

But yeah, the Oilers depth is such a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad