Post-Game Talk: GAME #36: Canucks 4, Oilers 2: VAN wins the Sam Gagner Invitational (and is back to .500 on W/L)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Starting to think the team may be for real. Just a lot better than anyone thought. Still a few players short of real contender but don't look like the train wreck e we suspected.. Like nearly everyone hoping for at least one more year of tanking but might as well enjoy the ride.

Good

Markstrom - early saves again important. Little to criticize about his play this year. Has seemingly arrived as bona vide starting NHL goal tender.

Horvat - thought he led the charge in the second to get the lead back. So consistent

Roussel - played well both ways. Has been a player that has very much added speed to the line up. Slot him in anywhere and he contributes

Edler - best player in the game. Handled McDavid and played big. Nice goal and good puck movement on the PP. It's too bad this isn't Edler every game

Tanev - made plays all game - especially with the stick check - that turned the game around and got the Canucks on offense. Him and Edler were very good. (and had to be given the presence of McDavid)

Gudbranson - got watching McDavid on the second goal and left his check alone in front but otherwise was going to the body well and eliminating people on the rush. Thought he showed some jump and was quickly getting puck up to the forwards.

Motte - when team gets bottled up in their end, Motte seems to be the player getting the puck out of trouble. Also creating offensive chances with speed. Player is somewhat a reminder of Hansen and maybe like Hansen can develop a little more finish around the net. Appears to be close to producing some goals.

Not Good

Goldobin - basically a no show. Lackadaisical and looked not ready to compete. Not in the play 5 on 5. Made the one pass to Pettersson on the PP but that was it.

Pouliot - like playing a man short. Play whirled around him as he plodded around trying to keep up with it. Canucks playing a fast moving game to reduce time in their own end but every time Pouliot got the puck things bogged down and Canucks reduced to scrambling the puck out. Coverage was often dreadful. Don't know why Biega is in ahead of him even if he has to switch sides. Nothing could be much worse than Poo.

Others

Virtanen - not really bad but one of those games were he, at times, zoned out when he had the puck and didn't seem to know what to do with it.

Levio - could see some of the glitches in his play in this game. Gets standing at times and at other times glides out of the play. You wonder about focus.

Boeser - scores three points but still, to me, struggling with skating and making too many errant passes. Seems to get off balanced and lacks the smoothness he showed last year. Everything seems to be going in but I think overall play needs to improve. Makes you think he can get huge point totals if he can pick up his skating.

Pettersson - can always make a couple of plays that can turn a game in your favour. Has brilliant shot along with everything else. However, in this game made some defensive gaffes that hurt the team.

Gaudette - no shortage of speed but needs to be more measured how he uses it and improve his control of the puck. Looks near to being an effective player. Have to like the way he is trending.
Great analysis orcatown..thankyou.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Boeser is ppg again.

He has 12 points in his last 5.

Feels like he's going under the radar.

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Pettersson and Boeser continue to produce despite their inconsistent play 5v5. This bodes well if Boeser can get up to full speed again! Coach Green has this team believing again- and they have looked more relaxed the past few games.

Real test is that Tampa Bay game. Best and deepest team in the NHL. Would put in Biega over Pouliot.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Pettersson and Boeser continue to produce despite their inconsistent play 5v5. This bodes well if Boeser can get up to full speed again! Coach Green has this team believing again- and they have looked more relaxed the past few games.

Real test is that Tampa Bay game. Best and deepest team in the NHL. Would put in Biega over Pouliot.

I think they need to swap Virtanen and Leivo... Virtanen is a possession machine and his zone entries are ridiculous. That's what that line is missing 5 on 5. Let Virtanen be the straight ahead guy to get that puck in the zone then let Petey and Brock tear some nets up.

Reactions: TruKnyte

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Who draws out when Sven is healthy?

Hopefully not goldy he's put 4pts in his last 5 and is quietly producing.

Reactions: Cogburn

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
I think they need to swap Virtanen and Leivo... Virtanen is a possession machine and his zone entries are ridiculous. That's what that line is missing 5 on 5. Let Virtanen be the straight ahead guy to get that puck in the zone then let Petey and Brock tear some nets up.

Agree. Still hoping for Virtanen to develop into a Burrows-like player. Boeser and Pettersson need a tenacious forechecker who is good against the boards.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Oilers basically have no way out of mediocrity for the next few seasons. Literally, their only hope for future improvement is if Bouchard turns into a top pairing defenseman. Otherwise, the team right now is what we'll be seeing for the next couple of seasons.
yes they just blew it with Hall Eberle Schultz 1st overall 2012 and the 4th overall pick in 2016 and coming away with Larsen Spooner and Puljujarvi.
awful management of assets and scouting

Reactions: valkynax

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

I have a feeling they will put in Nilsson as well since Marly played these two back to back tems and Tampa is a pretty tough team to play...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I have a feeling they will put in Nilsson as well since Marly played these two back to back tems and Tampa is a pretty tough team to play...
I think it would be sh**** thing for them to do... they play Marky for the back to back... signifying he's the number 1 and best chance to win... so you play him vs the best team coming in...
Give Markstrom a rest after the Tampa game.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Hard Disagree.
ZULHpaG.png

Canucks had a good 2nd period but for most of the game they were on the back foot.

That graph actually supports his opinion pretty well

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
yes they just blew it with Hall Eberle Schultz 1st overall 2012 and the 4th overall pick in 2016 and coming away with Larsen Spooner and Puljujarvi.
awful management of assets and scouting
Not to mention they traded Petry who looks to be a defenseman they really could use.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The loss looks good on the Oilers, as losses always do.

And although I believe we are still a bad team with some losing streaks ahead of us this season... I have a good feeling that there's a bright future with some of the guys we have on board. I really wish we had someone other than Benning at the helm right now, because this next TDL/Draft/FA period is where the Canucks can either take the next step, or get mired in endless Oilers-esqe mediocrity.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
TSN highlights still saying "Pettersson couldn't clear" on the Oilers first goal when it was Gudbranson who checked him and deserves the blame.. :mad:
The one time Turdbranson makes a nice defensive play with a poke check it goes unnoticed. Also IIRC Leivo was too slow to move the puck and turned it over like twice in the shift before that.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The one time Turdbranson makes a nice defensive play with a poke check it goes unnoticed. Also IIRC Leivo was too slow to move the puck and turned it over like twice in the shift before that.

Gudbranson also took a painfully slow, long route to get to the initial dump in which allowed Edmonton to establish possession in the first place. Biega or Del Zotto probably win the race to that puck and clear.

And that’s the thing with Gudbranson - even when he isn’t making obvious mistakes, his lack of skill and mobility makes him a possession black hole that is playing the game in the wrong end of the rink. And goals start bleeding as a result.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oilers media whining about the refs, and the disparagement of penalties they were given vs the Canucks

Bizarre really...Out of the 5 penalties they were given, two were for lobbing the puck over the glass...and one was for too many men?

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

ArchSloth

Oct 21, 2009
Calgary
Oilers media whining about the refs, and the disparagement of penalties they were given vs the Canucks

Bizarre really...Out of the 5 penalties they were given, two were for lobbing the puck over the glass...and one was for too many men?

I think the quotes were more that the Canucks deserved penalties that went uncalled against some of the Oiler players; notably McDavid at any time. Among other notables taken from an Oilers blog (Copper N Blue) there was Kassian being rocked in the 2nd period, Benning getting crosschecked by Edler, a missed high stick on Larsson, but mostly McDavid being interfered with and not drawing any calls from the officials.

I get it. Didn't we as Canucks fans plead for more attention on the frequency and severity of hacks that Henrik and Daniel had taken over their 17 year careers? Didn't our GM go on National TV with a few choice gems, "Todd Bertuzzi doesn't play for the Red Wings, he just looks like it because he has 2 or three red sweaters draped on him at all times." or "Sedin is not Swedish for punch me or headlock me in a scrum".

McDavid is a special player, just as is Pettersson. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt? Maybe. I would hate for the NHL to develop a case of "the Jordon rules" where superstars get all the calls (real or imagined) and the rest of the plebes are left to their own devices. (As an aside, how many times did MJ travel on the way to the rack and never get called?) At end of day this was a coach fighting for his player and it didn't even rank up there with the best of Hitch (who as we all know, can get his teams to play the LW Lock better than any).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the quotes were more that the Canucks deserved penalties that went uncalled against some of the Oiler players; notably McDavid at any time. Among other notables taken from an Oilers blog (Copper N Blue) there was Kassian being rocked in the 2nd period, Benning getting crosschecked by Edler, a missed high stick on Larsson, but mostly McDavid being interfered with and not drawing any calls from the officials.

I get it. Didn't we as Canucks fans plead for more attention on the frequency and severity of hacks that Henrik and Daniel had taken over their 17 year careers? Didn't our GM go on National TV with a few choice gems, "Todd Bertuzzi doesn't play for the Red Wings, he just looks like it because he has 2 or three red sweaters draped on him at all times." or "Sedin is not Swedish for punch me or headlock me in a scrum".

McDavid is a special player, just as is Pettersson. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt? Maybe. I would hate for the NHL to develop a case of "the Jordon rules" where superstars get all the calls (real or imagined) and the rest of the plebes are left to their own devices. (As an aside, how many times did MJ travel on the way to the rack and never get called?) At end of day this was a coach fighting for his player and it didn't even rank up there with the best of Hitch (who as we all know, can get his teams to play the LW Lock better than any).

I think that's why so many of us just roll our eyes. We put up with 15 years of teams just doing whatever they wanted to the Sedins and all we got was snark that we need more truculence. So boohoo for mcdavid and the Oilers.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Who draws out when Sven is healthy?

Hopefully not goldy he's put 4pts in his last 5 and is quietly producing.

Goldobin > Sven.

Goldobin is more skilled, has great agility and terrific stick handling ability. He has taken a significant step in his overall game from a year ago. He’s younger, has tons of potential, and is progressing nicely. Baertschi should draw in on the 3rd line and Granlund or Motte should draw out and join Schaller. Gaudette should stay with the big club until Sutter returns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->