Post-Game Talk: Game 32 - B's go 0-5 on power play and lose to Caps 3-2

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I get the size and toughness thing, but I saw an issue with “motor” tonight. The Bruins simply can’t match the Caps or Blues with the power game, even if they made a trade for a good power forward. One addition will not solve the overall problem. For me, it’s the motor. Look at Oshie tonight. Tough kid but not huge. Aside from Clifton and maybe a few others, I didn’t see kids playing with the buzz saw motor. Kuhlman does it. Bjork looked good but is still somewhat overmatched. Pageau has it.

Bruins have enough skill. They need some aggressive forechecking, backchecking etc...

That’s what I saw lacking tonight. It was a good game. Bruins made plays, got unlucky with officiating but they didn’t force things enough. Not sure these big body guys we talk about for trade would solve the issue I saw tonight.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

NHL understands what fans want.

Official NHL replay package shows several seconds of possession and setup for Bergeron goal. Then shows at least THREE replays of the same goal. Then cuts to announcement of challenge and call of no goal. Never even show the offside play.

Hey fans...... got a sweet goal for you. Here, watch it four times. Of course it’s not a goal because of an offside that we had to super slow mo review. We won’t show you the actual offside play because, well, who cares about offside reviews. Want to see a clip of the super sweet no goal again?

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I don't know man, I really didn't see that. I thought he looked pretty good tonight. He was looking to shoot and create all night ( 6 shots on net ). He had some slippery moves to get open a couple of times and a couple of other rushes, Carlson had a good stick to shut down some chances. I didn't have issues with his game tonight. Coyle on the other hand, outside of a couple of good reverse hits, was invisible tonight. I thought he was the worse forward for us. Everyone seemed to work hard. I had some grips with the D ( Carlo's slow reaction on the 2nd Oshie goal, Clifton not going for the body on the 1st Oshie goal, Chara not stepping down low to shut Backstrom down behind the net on the Carlson goal ). But overall, I thought we played pretty well.
Carlo wasn't on the ice for the 2nd Oshie goal and Clfiton wasn't on the ice for the 1st Oshie goal.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yes, Jake was clearly offside. Wasn't even marginal by modern pro-sports standards. Silly mistake too because he had a clear view of Pasta skating the puck in and still jumped the gun. Then for sure his assist on the non-goal was good but he spent the rest of the game being invisible...again. He's not doing much to boost his next contract figures at present.

I wasn’t being sarcastic, BTW....I truly just wasn’t aware that it was him.

There’s a few guys who aren’t producing right now.

As noticeable as Bjork is, he can’t have more than 3 or 4 points in the last 10-12 games.

Krejci and Coyle have been kind of invisible too for a while.

The encouraging thing about this team is that IMO they only need two things to ensure they are a legit cup threat:

A. Good health
B. An impactful forward.

One is out of Sweeney’s control, the other is clearly up to him.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

As noticeable as Bjork is, he can’t have more than 3 or 4 points in the last 10-12 games.

Who have his line mates been for the most part those past 10-12 games?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
League trending towards skill and the Bruins are chock full of grinders

It’s ok to have some energy guys to fill the depth out a bit, but it’s like our entire bottom 6

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Who have his line mates been for the most part those past 10-12 games?

I get it....but it’s not like he hasn’t had the puck a lot or hasn’t had many chances...he’s not capitalizing on the chances he’s getting.

Reactions: BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

lmfao it's like another layer of defense, the whole video review crew jumping up and down when the goal is scored that they know it gonna come back.

Sad.

Next step is Bettman dictates no real games played. All video games with camera crews filming video players going nuts. Salary Cap goes down to $250K and the concussion issue goes away for good. Atta boy Gary. You’re a visionary.

Reactions: Emerz

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I wasn’t being sarcastic, BTW....I truly just wasn’t aware that it was him.

The encouraging thing about this team is that IMO they only need two things to ensure they are a legit cup threat:

A. Good health
B. An impactful forward.

One is out of Sweeney’s control, the other is clearly up to him.

3-4 points in the last ten games is actually pretty good compared to the rest of the lineup!

Reactions: Estlin

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Debrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Ritchie, Wagner...they need far more offence from their winger group if Boston wants to make a run again.

On the d side McAvoy just looks uncomfortable out there. Not sure if he’s trying to live up to the contract but he was a much better player when he kept things simple and threw the body around

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
3-4 points in the last ten games is actually pretty good compared to the rest of the lineup!

Thats if I’m right and not overestimating.

I guess, to be more accurate, I should say that as noticeable as he is, you’d think he’s averaging a PPG.

I’m not even sure it that’s good or bad though.

IafratesEmptyNetGoal

Jul 30, 2005
How do you figure that?

The linesman in the decisive photo is on his knee looking across the blueline and he called it onside. Without frame by frame video, it's impossible to see that. So for 100 years, once that call is made, the play stands. This new model is awful. How many times were people keeping score before this rule and checking every goal frame by frame to see which ones were "good" vs "bad"? Video wasn't just invented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad