Post-Game Talk: Game 32 - B's go 0-5 on power play and lose to Caps 3-2

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I liked it better when they used to win games.

giphy-13 (1).gif

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Are teams employing a full compliment of video review guys looking at every single zone entry, then contacting the head coach after each goal to let them know if they should challenge? If so that should be disallowed, either they decide to challenge based on the real time view, or they don't challenge it.
they prob hire guys to check every zone entry. every one. because who they hell wouldve even thought to challenge a single skater rush flying into the zone. stupidest rule ever.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Which is why in part last season was probably the core’s last best shot at a Stanley Cup.
I don’t know . Holtby is a monster against the Bruins but other teams seem capable of beating him . Caps could go out early like last year and from what I saw tonight I don’t think they are significantly better than the Bruins . Another solid trade deadline by Sweeney and we can close the gap .

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Are teams employing a full compliment of video review guys looking at every single zone entry, then contacting the head coach after each goal to let them know if they should challenge? If so that should be disallowed, either they decide to challenge based on the real time view, or they don't challenge it.
To add insult to injury they now delay the dropping of the puck after a goal more than they used to in order to let teams have time to review the play in slomo. It's simply something that had good intentions but is detracting from the game. A new system/rule needs to be worked out in a bad way. I still think that challenges should only be allowed if a goal is scored directly off an initial rush into the zone since that would directly impact the goal being scored. Otherwise, no challenges allowed since the D will have had a chance to get set and the offsides would not have given the offense an unfair advantage directly after zone entry.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
PP was next level awful.

Did someone slip Marchand something? That was the worst game I've ever seen him play. He looked ill.

Had chances but really weren't generating much offensively. Shot count is misleading mostly perimeter shots while the Caps had great chances.

Were just not on their level right now. They own us.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I’m captain obvious tonight. If we play a team like Washington and we go 0-5 on the power play. It will be a loss. It’s that simple. It doesn’t matter how Rask or Halak play. Bjork I’m not picking on him but if he’s are best player for the night against a team like the Capitals it’s a loss. Heinen blew the coverage lost his man and blew it after Kuraly tied it. That was the game . One last thing Bruce . I am begging you. Please take Ritchie off the second line at times. Why was Stud sent down.

Reactions: Emerz

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Pretty damn good hockey game.

Tough night for right side defense. How do Clifton & McAvoy end up out together on 2nd Caps goal? Where was Carlo going on first goal? Looked like Nick Boynton chasing the puck.

Fancy play on Power Play doesn't work against very good teams.

Quite the performance from John Carlson. Natick native looks like Norris shoo-in and Hart candidate.

Chara takes on Wilson early, Ritchie challenges Gudas and Hathaway. Did it really make any difference?

Heinen and Debrusk, not good.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
i think donnie underestimated how important chemistry is and should have done more to try and resign mojo . He signed lindholm and ritchie thinking they could be plugged in and all will work out . That lione in the PO was our best line and Coyle and Mojo clicked , seems we're back to the same problem with finding missing pieces .

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Positives I took out of this one:

- The Bs effort was good tonight, much better than it was against Ottawa.

- Had Bergy’s goal counted and the score had stayed 2-0 I reckon there’s a fairly strong chance they’d have won the game. But not to be.

- Bjork tried hard all night, Halak did what he could.

- They hung in there against the best team in the NHL right to the final whistle when the game could quite easily have already been all over by then. Give them some credit for that.

Negatives:

- Not going to pick on individual players because almost nobody is looking flash out there at the moment. Rather the whole team is out of sync. With Bergy back this lineup is now 16/18 the same as the one that played the SCFs and most guys are back to their regular positions, but you wouldn’t know it. Players are frequently out of position, not covering opponents and not connecting with their passes, and anytime they set up in the attacking zone, whether in a PP or 6 on 5, they look just about clueless – no-one seems to know where each of the others or himself should be. It looks like the amount of time they’ve played in different combos has messed with their heads and they just can’t find their rhythm again, and increasingly low confidence from the losses and blown chances is creating a vicious circle that just makes it worse and that much harder to find their game.

- The offside challenge needs to go but won’t. So as I said in the GDT, the Bruins need to get better at moving on from overturned goals. Conceding after they happen has become a pattern that needs to stop.

- For the first time in a long time I feel like Cassidy doesn’t know what the answer is to turning his team around. He’s looking for answers, trying things – letting the plays have some fun in the last practice was a fine idea – but he hasn’t found the solution yet. I’m confident he will and there’s time to do so, it’s just a question of how long it’s going to take.

For now there’s nothing for it but to brush off the loss and bring that same effort, and hopefully a little more co-ordination and luck, tomorrow night.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
PP was next level awful.

Did someone slip Marchand something? That was the worst game I've ever seen him play. He looked ill.

Had chances but really weren't generating much offensively. Shot count is misleading mostly perimeter shots while the Caps had great chances.

Were just not on their level right now. They own us.

I thought Marchand was pretty good tonight. Worse forward for us tonight I thought was Coyle. Outside of some beauty reverse hits, there was not a lot of his typical puck cycle game. I think he was even benched for the last 10 minutes of the game.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
Positives I took out of this one:

- The Bs effort was good tonight, much better than it was against Ottawa.

- Had Bergy’s goal counted and the score had stayed 2-0 I reckon there’s a fairly strong chance they’d have won the game. But not to be.

- Bjork tried hard all night, Halak did what he could.

- They hung in there against the best team in the NHL right to the final whistle when the game could quite easily have already been all over by then. Give them some credit for that.

Negatives:

- Not going to pick on individual players because almost nobody is looking flash out there at the moment. Rather the whole team is out of sync. With Bergy back this lineup is now 16/18 the same as the one that played the SCFs and most guys are back to their regular positions, but you wouldn’t know it. Players are frequently out of position, not covering opponents and not connecting with their passes, and anytime they set up in the attacking zone, whether in a PP or 6 on 5, they look just about clueless – no-one seems to know where each of the others or himself should be. It looks like the amount of time they’ve played in different combos has messed with their heads and they just can’t find their rhythm again, and increasingly low confidence from the losses and blown chances is creating a vicious circle that just makes it worse and that much harder to find their game.

- The offside challenge needs to go but won’t. So as I said in the GDT, the Bruins need to get better at moving on from overturned goals. Conceding after they happen has become a pattern that needs to stop.

- For the first time in a long time I feel like Cassidy doesn’t know what the answer is to turning his team around. He’s looking for answers, trying things – letting the plays have some fun in the last practice was a fine idea – but he hasn’t found the solution yet. I’m confident he will and there’s time to do so, it’s just a question of how long it’s going to take.

For now there’s nothing for it but to brush off the loss and bring that same effort, and hopefully a little more co-ordination and luck, tomorrow night.

The only part of your well thought out post I disagree with is I believe Colorado is the best team in the NHL right now.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Pretty damn good hockey game.

Tough night for right side defense. How do Clifton & McAvoy end up out together on 2nd Caps goal? Where was Carlo going on first goal? Looked like Nick Boynton chasing the puck.

Fancy play on Power Play doesn't work against very good teams.

Quite the performance from John Carlson. Natick native looks like Norris shoo-in and Hart candidate.

Chara takes on Wilson early, Ritchie challenges Gudas and Hathaway. Did it really make any difference?

Heinen and Debrusk, not good.

In fairness, if not for a whisker’s width, DeBrusk has an assist.

Can’t imagine too many players have lost more points this year due to challenges.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To add insult to injury they now delay the dropping of the puck after a goal more than they used to in order to let teams have time to review the play in slomo. It's simply something that had good intentions but is detracting from the game. A new system/rule needs to be worked out in a bad way. I still think that challenges should only be allowed if a goal is scored directly off an initial rush into the zone since that would directly impact the goal being scored. Otherwise, no challenges allowed since the D will have had a chance to get set and the offsides would not have given the offense an unfair advantage directly after zone entry.

There's a solution for this.

Stay the fork on side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad