Post-Game Talk: Game 32 - B's go 0-5 on power play and lose to Caps 3-2

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He has the same "just got rich" bug that hit Reilly Smith after he signed his two year extension here. He will be fine, but he has been pretty awful since his deal.

I dont want to buy into this... but his one consistent critism his entire career was that hes inconsistent with his work ethic and his performance. sadly there are some players that sign a long term big money deal and then stop working hard. coyle might have been one of those guys who didnt work hard even before the deal

as a fan im going to hope that playing in his home town and being surrounded by workaholics like Bergeron/marchand/chara will keep coyle on the straight and narrow.

hes not talented enough to get good results without hard work... so we will need him to keep working hard

Reactions: Strafer

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Not happy with the bottom of the lineup right now. Seems like every mistake ends up in the back of the next.

I hate to rag on Coyle because he has been my favorite player this season aside from Gryz but these past 5 games he has looked hurt or disinterested. Definitely been outplayed by his matchup. Bjork is the only one on that line with any fight right now.

Since signing his contract? :naughty:

Reactions: veganbruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Frederic
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner
Wood for a third or depth D supposedly
Wood-Coyle-Bjork
Clifford is available and cheap, concussions are a concern.
Clifford-Kuraly-Wagner

There are options to get some aggressiveness, size and toughness in at forward.

Want to create Space? Lindholm and Ritchie to Providence clears 2M. Heinen makes 2.75M a year which is mind numbing considering what he is bringing this year. Sweeney needs to commit to getting some size and grit and Cassidy has to play it.
I agree with this philosophy

I want my bottom 6 bringing the heat in the playoffs

Bjork-Coyle-Anderson
Wood-Kuraly-Wagner

I do like Nordstrom though he will hit

Reactions: Strafer and BBruins

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Same team as last year minus Johansson and same issues.

last years team finished second in the regular season and second in the playoffs right?

the way you put this it almost sounds like a huge critism… I would agree word for word with what you said, but to me its a huge plus.

Johansson was a very affordable and easy to acquire addition. it wont be difficult to find someone equal or even better this year.

but where im hoping this team would show more improvement this year is with the kids... and im seeing some good things.

McAvoy/carlo havent taken a step forward... but havent regressed
same can be said for Heinen and clifton

I think grzelyck has taken a small step forward

debrusk has some bad luck or his stats would be about where we can expect... his overall play seems less than ideal, but hes streaky. he will have a streak or two before the year is over I think

and then come the tweeners... and they have looked good imo

Bjork seems to have finally won an nhl job... maybe an injury could still upset the applecourt… but he has plugged a hole and is contributing well for an elc contract.

senyshyn has to have impressed even his harshest critics. he might still need time in ahl, but it is appearing he has an nhl future now

studnicka probably did anything any of us could have hoped for with his cup of tea

and federic is still a slow work in progress... but shows a willingness to improve.

vaakanainen looked to me like hes ready for nhl action.

these kids are all much closer to filling a hole in the nhl lineup then they were this time last year. so same team? maybe... but I think we are right on the cupse of some real improvements.

we were damn good this time last year... damn good this time two years ago... but I daresay we are every bit as good right now and close enough that we might just win it all if things bounce our way

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bruins were fortunate to get to avoid Washington last season in the playoffs. Will they get that lucky again?

I strongly doubt it which is why I am still unhappy about Game 7. The Bruins will never have an easier path to the Cup than they had last year with Washington & TB both gone in the first round. :( :mad:

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
After sleeping on it, Ive still come to the conclusion that we played a good game against a good team, and win the game if not for that stupid lame ass offside rule.
That being said- you CANT go offside whenthe player is flying up the ice when a pass isnt even involved. That was ala Blake Wheeler in his early days

Reactions: trenton1 and DKH

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I guess if you put any stock into the regular season. Mojo and Coyle carried this team early in the play-offs, with no changes do Bjork and Heinen have the same effect? Still have one consistent line, not much of a physical presence and fantastic defense and goalie tandem.
No, I meant that at this point last year they didn’t even have Coyle and Mojo.

For sure they need some bangers. Cassidy’s turned Kuraly and Wagner into possession guys - which I guess is fine but there’s a hole in the lineup where their physical game used to be and I don’t think Lindholm and Ritchie have shown the ability/interest in filling it. Nordstrom isn’t built for it but does a decent job when tasked

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Frederic
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner
Wood for a third or depth D supposedly
Wood-Coyle-Bjork
Clifford is available and cheap, concussions are a concern.
Clifford-Kuraly-Wagner

There are options to get some aggressiveness, size and toughness in at forward.

Want to create Space? Lindholm and Ritchie to Providence clears 2M. Heinen makes 2.75M a year which is mind numbing considering what he is bringing this year. Sweeney needs to commit to getting some size and grit and Cassidy has to play it.
I think Frederic - Kuraly - Wagner is the 4th line next season. I'm not sure Frederic is ready yet. Wouldn't mind Wood on this team.

Reactions: Strafer and DKH

Orr Fourever

#Staysafe
Sponsor
Mar 27, 2018
The Wheat Province
I got no complaints. I was entertained for 3 periods of ice hockey. I just wish Chara would have put a shoulder into Backstrom coming around the net on the 3rd Crapitals goal. It would have register on the richter scale in Ottawa, Ontario as a small quake.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Halak, Bergy and Bjork were good.

Maybe this is good that the team is getting exposed and real changes need to happen before we head into the second half of the year.

Krech needs 2 wingers that mesh with him. Jake and Krech are not working and the other guy is a journeyman.
couldnt agree with you more about it being good now, rather than later.. the one thing im sick of, is that we need to get krejci wingers that mesh with him.. im getting sick of the on/off krejci.. he has been a ghost lately

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Bigrigwilly43

Jan 18, 2018
hes been like that for last couple games.. maybe that shot to the head messed him up

Caps fan here, obviously. I was at the barn last night and it was the first time I had seen them play the B's live. As much as I hate Marchand, I was looking forward to seeing him and his line play with my own eyes. He definitely looked off man. Has he been playing like this all year? The dude was a monster last year whenever I watched a Bruins game.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Caps fan here, obviously. I was at the barn last night and it was the first time I had seen them play the B's live. As much as I hate Marchand, I was looking forward to seeing him and his line play with my own eyes. He definitely looked off man. Has he been playing like this all year? The dude was a monster last year whenever I watched a Bruins game.
no, just the last few games.. my hope is that the long playoff run last year is starting to rear its ugly head.. legs just arent there for our big guns lately.. that and butch is straight running them into the ground for the first part of the season.. i can understand why other teams hate marchand but it sucks you didnt get to see why he has become such a good player, when he is on, he does things in every area of the ice that make you realize that he is a very good hockey player, not just a rat who scores

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
couldnt agree with you more about it being good now, rather than later.. the one thing im sick of, is that we need to get krejci wingers that mesh with him.. im getting sick of the on/off krejci.. he has been a ghost lately

The whole 2nd line has not been good, that includes Krech. The 1st line is under a lot of heavy checking, the 4th line is not the problem, people keep wanting to break it up. The middle six needs work. I am fine with Coyle and Bjork after that the rest are fair game.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I agree with this philosophy

I want my bottom 6 bringing the heat in the playoffs

Bjork-Coyle-Anderson
Wood-Kuraly-Wagner

I do like Nordstrom though he will hit
I like Nordstrom as well, he has a lot of grit in his game, block shots, hits plays a pretty tough game and isn't afraid, why I have him as the 14th forward, Backes as 13th

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think Frederic - Kuraly - Wagner is the 4th line next season. I'm not sure Frederic is ready yet. Wouldn't mind Wood on this team.
Frederic is not a perfect choice but he is an in house solution. Don't hurt his development but I love his game in Providence and think he brings what is needed in the bottom 6 right now.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I think the problem this year is Kuraly. Nordy is exactly the same as last year and deserves to be on the 4th line over everyone. The rest mentioned are all way too slow to play the fore check game and they need his PK. Cassidy likes him for a reason.

For next year I would go Kuhlman - Frederic - Wags.

Kuhlman has speed to get on the other team like Nordy but has way better hands. Frederic is the big centerman that can play tough as can Wags. I think this is a good combination of skill sets.

The problem is the middle six but everyone wants more 4th liners. Grit is needed but they need to be able to play the game. I am all for only keeping Bjork and Coyle in the middle six after that have at it. Get a skilled banger like Anderson/Wood, and a sniper - Palmieri/Hall. They have to start scoring in the middle six, to take the heat of the top line.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The whole 2nd line has not been good, that includes Krech. The 1st line is under a lot of heavy checking, the 4th line is not the problem, people keep wanting to break it up. The middle six needs work. I am fine with Coyle and Bjork after that the rest are fair game.

Debrusk has been credited with 9 hits this season. Heinen with 12. So that makes Krejci the biggest hitter on that line. That combination stinks. Hence Ritchie (4 hits) last night instead of Heinen.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad