Post-Game Talk: Game 32 - B's go 0-5 on power play and lose to Caps 3-2

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
FWIW I think they’re 3rd in the league in goals scored.

They are, which is good going, I don't deny that. But I'm looking at this team from a playoffs perspective and I see that we have just 3 players with good goal-scoring touch, out of whom 1 is building a rep for being a guy you can knock off his game, 1 tends to go cold for long stretches and hasn't really done anything yet to prove he can be a consistent big-game player, and the other had a most recent postseason that could best be described as 'average'.

Obviously they came so close with those 3 last season but they also had Johansson, who not only contributed his own points but made Coyle a more effective player. And I haven't forgotten Kuhlman, who I think will continue to improve.

But all told it just doesn't feel like enough, and the chances of 2 or more of them being out of form or held quiet by the opposition at the same time seem too high over the stretch of a 7-game series. Having a 4th scorer is no guarantee of success, but it improves the odds and gives your opponent one more guy to worry about. If the FO can work out a way to land one, then IMO they absolutely have to go for it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
4 hours sleep

Asked Lyft driver if there was a good breakfast place near National Airport - SCORE

wjc2020.png
Capture1.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Cursing the person who booked me on a 7 AM flight to Tampa - (turns selfie camera on )

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
season to date... well above 95% of your expectations

slump occuring in December where slumps are supposed to occur

team has already made playoffs... but we wont want to coast the entire remainder of the season... we would want to gear things up by late January and get our habits good for the playoffs again... right now this effort the past 2 weeks wouldnt last long at playoff time

the team isnt perfect personal wise... the second line doesnt give any of us confidence that it would show up and be effective at playoff time. our kid dmen {McAvoy and carlo} havent shown much improvement if any over last season.

overall... things are good... very good...

we've seen that when this team is even remotely healthy, it has depth. weve seen several of our kids have stepped into the lineup and looked ok for nhl action now. weve seen that we can rotate 2 goalies and get damn fine high quality efforts. no worries we will overtire one of these guys

chara still is as effective a shutdown/PK guy as anyone in the league... we can count on him for this vital performance at playoff time

krug did show a very real ability to step up in last years playoffs... if he is stepping up that will take preasure off McAvoy and carlo.

I guess the thing us bruin fans now must wait and see.. who will be the new forward we are going to trade for? seems obvious to me, we will trade for one. it wont take much to upgrade over Ritchie/backs/kuhlman

will we wait until kuhlman and senyshyn come back healthy and try them again before we make the trade? theres not much need to make the trade yet. will studnicka get more of a look before we make the trade? seems to me we dont need to rush into anything and panic

there is no real reward for winning the president trophy or even coming in first in your division. sure, as fans it sucks to watch a loss in December but for the team it really really really doesnt matter if we lose in december

I hope we can solidfy the 3rd and 4th lines this month... start giving them all the chemistry they can get. get them into shape for playoff time.

I hope we can keep Bergeron/pastrnak/marchand healthy. they are obviously the 3 keys to playoff success up front.

and that just leaves 1 line to experiment with and try to fix... debrusk actually has shown good life in the past month. krejci has done well albeit mostly playing with marchand/pastrnak. now he must find a way to earn his 7 mill contract being the driver on a line.

Ritchie has shown us he wont suddenly blossom... hes not an answer for playoffs

backes is what he is now... a shadow of his former self... still a good leader it seams but shouldnt be in the lineup

kuhlman wasnt around long enough to write the book on him... id like him to get health asap so we can see what we got here

Lindholm is a 13th forward at best

senyshyn did look pretty good... hate that the injury derailed him so quickly

if we can get into the hall sweepstakes hes the ONLY available player on the market that elevates us to clear cut cup favorites imho... if we can get in on him then I do suggest we pull the trigger asap.

but for the other guys being rumored to be available... none are sure fire fixes. none move the needle enough to make a huge difference in our chances. we will need to eventually pick one up, but the difference from one to the next is so minor we might as well keep our powder dry and wait for the best opportunity to snag one closer to the deadline

until then... enjoy the season
its a good one so far

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
The biggest July 1st win for the Bruins would be for Holtby to sign with a Western conference team. Unless Samsanov is the new Holtby.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just found out they lost. Great decision stop watching after the disallowed goal- got a lot of shit done around the house and to bed early

Remember this

The payback will come in the playoffs in 2020 when the Bruins get a huge opposition ticky tack offside that results in a significant Bruins victory

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

team has already made playoffs... but we wont want to coast the entire remainder of the season... we would want to gear things up by late January and get our habits good for the playoffs again... right now this effort the past 2 weeks wouldnt last long at playoff time

the team isnt perfect personal wise... the second line doesnt give any of us confidence that it would show up and be effective at playoff time. our kid dmen {McAvoy and carlo} havent shown much improvement if any over last season.

we've seen that when this team is even remotely healthy, it has depth. weve seen several of our kids have stepped into the lineup and looked ok for nhl action now. weve seen that we can rotate 2 goalies and get damn fine high quality efforts. no worries we will overtire one of these guys

chara still is as effective a shutdown/PK guy as anyone in the league... we can count on him for this vital performance at playoff time

krug did show a very real ability to step up in last years playoffs... if he is stepping up that will take preasure off McAvoy and carlo.

I guess the thing us bruin fans now must wait and see.. who will be the new forward we are going to trade for? seems obvious to me, we will trade for one. it wont take much to upgrade over Ritchie/backs/kuhlman

will we wait until kuhlman and senyshyn come back healthy and try them again before we make the trade? theres not much need to make the trade yet. will studnicka get more of a look before we make the trade? seems to me we dont need to rush into anything and panic

there is no real reward for winning the president trophy or even coming in first in your division. sure, as fans it sucks to watch a loss in December but for the team it really really really doesnt matter if we lose in december

I hope we can solidfy the 3rd and 4th lines this month... start giving them all the chemistry they can get. get them into shape for playoff time.

I hope we can keep Bergeron/pastrnak/marchand healthy. they are obviously the 3 keys to playoff success up front.

and that just leaves 1 line to experiment with and try to fix... debrusk actually has shown good life in the past month. krejci has done well albeit mostly playing with marchand/pastrnak. now he must find a way to earn his 7 mill contract being the driver on a line.

backes is what he is now... a shadow of his former self... still a good leader it seams but shouldnt be in the lineup

kuhlman wasnt around long enough to write the book on him... id like him to get health asap so we can see what we got here

if we can get into the hall sweepstakes hes the ONLY available player on the market that elevates us to clear cut cup favorites imho... if we can get in on him then I do suggest we pull the trigger asap.

but for the other guys being rumored to be available... none are sure fire fixes. none move the needle enough to make a huge difference in our chances. we will need to eventually pick one up, but the difference from one to the next is so minor we might as well keep our powder dry and wait for the best opportunity to snag one closer to the deadline

its a good one so far

Krejci earns his paycheck, why don’t you ever call on your hero Backes to earn his. Don’t want to be reminded he’s the biggest FA bust in bruins history and his contract holds this team back from getting a player who can help the bruins beat good teams like the caps?

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

its a good one so far

Same team as last year minus Johansson and same issues.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Don’t love Tom Wilson but it would be great if the Bruins had a forward like him that played every shift like it was game 7

I like Tom Wilson, I think his presence gives that team swagger and a level of "we can do whatever we want because everyone's afraid of Tom." I've watched the Caps play other teams and he's a menace, taunting the other bench and burying guys every shift.

That said, kudos to Chara. I thought that fight turned the Tom Wilson factor down to a 1 or 2.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Cassidy is one of the best I've ever seen at devising plays. He runs plays off face-offs, breakouts, zone entries... and typically they're really effective but he's overthinking the power play. There is so much movement now that Pasta is almost never in position to take that one-timer anymore. I get what he's trying to do, confuse defenses so they can't take his shot away, but with all the rotations we've actually taken away Pasta's shot for them. Simplify a bit, get back to what worked.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Krejci with 0 shots tonight in 20 minutes on ice. DeBrusk 0 shots 0 hits with 20 minutes.
Getting tired of hearing that Krejci can't seem to find good wingers that gel with him. Maybe Krejci needs to make the players around him better.
Makes me wonder what Jakes next contract looks like. He needs 20g to stay on that second line

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Cassidy is one of the best I've ever seen at devising plays. He runs plays off face-offs, breakouts, zone entries... and typically they're really effective but he's overthinking the power play. There is so much movement now that Pasta is almost never in position to take that one-timer anymore. I get what he's trying to do, confuse defenses so they can't take his shot away, but with all the rotations we've actually taken away Pasta's shot for them. Simplify a bit, get back to what worked.
Good post. Remember Clode and his anemic powerplay? The chara clapper that usually missed, all 5 guys standing still just passing back and forth, Linear to a T ...dont simplify it that much but i hear ya

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Just found out they lost. Great decision stop watching after the disallowed goal- got a lot of **** done around the house and to bed early

Remember this

The payback will come in the playoffs in 2020 when the Bruins get a huge opposition ticky tack offside that results in a significant Bruins victory
They are the Bruins new Canadiens of the 50's,60's,70's and ear;y 80's. Want another Cup? Avoid this team in the playoffs at all costs OR build a team to beat them. That means more size on D and at forward to start and a Voodoo curse on Holtby.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Can only afford Ritchie who's meaness only shows up once a month
Frederic
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner
Wood for a third or depth D supposedly
Wood-Coyle-Bjork
Clifford is available and cheap, concussions are a concern.
Clifford-Kuraly-Wagner

There are options to get some aggressiveness, size and toughness in at forward.

Want to create Space? Lindholm and Ritchie to Providence clears 2M. Heinen makes 2.75M a year which is mind numbing considering what he is bringing this year. Sweeney needs to commit to getting some size and grit and Cassidy has to play it.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Not happy with the bottom of the lineup right now. Seems like every mistake ends up in the back of the next.

I hate to rag on Coyle because he has been my favorite player this season aside from Gryz but these past 5 games he has looked hurt or disinterested. Definitely been outplayed by his matchup. Bjork is the only one on that line with any fight right now.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They are the Bruins new Canadiens of the 50's,60's,70's and ear;y 80's. Want another Cup? Avoid this team in the playoffs at all costs OR build a team to beat them. That means more size on D and at forward to start and a Voodoo curse on Holtby.
Exactly

my moves on here are all geared to beating Washington

good news is likely wouldn’t match up until round 3

They Will get punished again if they don’t tweek it a bit

Anderson when the playoffs start will play the body. I’m laughing hysterically reading he sucks he’s overrated blah blah blah

Don’t be crying on HF in May or June when our stars are beat up physically

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not happy with the bottom of the lineup right now. Seems like every mistake ends up in the back of the next.

I hate to rag on Coyle because he has been my favorite player this season aside from Gryz but these past 5 games he has looked hurt or disinterested. Definitely been outplayed by his matchup. Bjork is the only one on that line with any fight right now.

He has the same "just got rich" bug that hit Reilly Smith after he signed his two year extension here. He will be fine, but he has been pretty awful since his deal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krejci earns his paycheck, why don’t you ever call on your hero Backes to earn his. Don’t want to be reminded he’s the biggest FA bust in bruins history and his contract holds this team back from getting a player who can help the bruins beat good teams like the caps?

I guess backes had 4-5 concusions in the last 3 years?

its sad his health got destroyed but im not too sure how he has any control over it???

or do you know something about concusions that i dont?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He has the same "just got rich" bug that hit Reilly Smith after he signed his two year extension here. He will be fine, but he has been pretty awful since his deal.
I went to 3 games last week - Carolina Chicago & Colorado and he was excellent against the Canes

Anyways - something is brewing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad