Pre-Game Talk: Game 3: Tuesday May 6th 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I don't. I just don't think Thornton had anything to do with it, and Julien said the same thing.

Oh, well, thank god for Thornton then! It's not like Boston was getting chances throughout the game or anything..
Nope, he came back, lifted the team up because he said ''we need to score!'', because the rest of the team had forgotten about that..

Julien himself said he doesn't think Thornton's return changed anything.
But sure yes. We should probably dress Parros.

Your idea of what creates momentum is irrelevant to the Boston Bruins team. You can deny all you want. You were not there on the bench or on the ice.

You cannot measure it. You cannot quantify it. You can only see it when it shifts.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Your idea of what creates momentum is irrelevant to the Boston Bruins team. You can deny all you want. You were not there on the bench or on the ice.

You cannot measure it. You cannot quantify it. You can only see it when it shifts.

I am not speaking for him, but while I believe the Bruins had momentum, it's not like they haven't gone through the experience before. They've been good in the third period all year and they've already made a pretty spectacular comeback against Toronto last season.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Best of puck luck and stay healthy guys.

Just another Canuck fan cheering for the Habs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

And you were there?

Claude Julien said he didn't think Thornton's return was a factor in the momentum switch (not sure why you keep ignoring this). But hey, he wasn't there either I guess.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah like CJ would tell us if Thornton was his secret weapon :sarcasm: :laugh:

Someone posts about momentum swings.
McGuire backs up exactly what the poster stated but "you don't think" because Julien says...
Gimmee a Break.

What?? :biglaugh:

So McGuire's word is more important than the coach??? This must be the biggest crap I've read in a while. Since when have coaches not credit certain players?? They have no problem doing it. If Julien felt Thornton's presence was key, then he would have responded ya, it gave us a little boost. Why wouldn't he? You make zero sense.

Did the Bruins have chances throughout the game?? Are you telling me with a straight face that the Bruins put the puck in the freaking net because Thornton came back on the bench and said ''Guys, we need to score''?? Are you serious with this crap?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What?? :biglaugh:

So McGuire's word is more important than the coach??? This must be the biggest crap I've read in a while. Since when have coaches not credit certain players?? They have no problem doing it. If Julien felt Thornton's presence was key, then he would have responded ya, it gave us a little boost. Why wouldn't he? You make zero sense.

Did the Bruins have chances throughout the game?? Are you telling me with a straight face that the Bruins put the puck in the freaking net because Thornton came back on the bench and said ''Guys, we need to score''?? Are you serious with this crap?

Whoa there big boy...
A momentum shift was noted and reported on.
It's pretty clear what i said.

I don't believe a word that comes out of Julien's yap.
You would have me believe there was no momentum swing in game two?
Boston is exactly the kind of place where a Thornton returning to the bench or the ice could cause a spike.

You'll have to do much better than that rant...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think the solution is to get slower and worse at break outs. Murray in solves nothing. Not surprised therrien cant think beyond experience on the back end though

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Whoa there big boy...
A momentum shift was noted and reported on.
It's pretty clear what i said.

I don't believe a word that comes out of Julien's yap.
You would have me believe there was no momentum swing in game two?
Boston is exactly the kind of place where a Thornton returning to the bench or the ice could cause a spike.

You'll have to do much better than that rant...

It's not a rant and I don't really have to do anything, your posts do the job themselves pretty good.

Here's what you're trying to show:
Thornton leaves-Bruins not doing much-Returns-Tells the guys ''Hey, we need to score!''-Bourque blows the coverage at the point (something we've been consistently doing since game 1 btw)- Boston scores.
Moral of the story? It's all thanks to Thornton.

Boston gets pumped up a bit more, 4min later (they had 2 shots over those 4 min), Bergeron shoots a knucklepuck, deflects off the ice, and possibly even on Bouillon, deviates its original trajectory, goes in.
Again, Thanks to freaking Thornton!

You are so completely right buddy, the momentum change happened due to Thornton's return. Julien has no reason to lie about this and I don't understand your insistence on not believing him. Why would he choose to lie about the fact his troop rallied upon the return of Thornton? Why would he not say that Thornton came back and as an important leader and player, the guys responded to it? Why? As you said, of all the teams to actually get rallied by an enforcer, the Bruins would be the first, so why would their coach say no?
Meanwhile you have the guy that gets paid sitting between benches to fill up air time with comments and you think his opinion is somehow more reliable??

As I said, the Bruins were going nowhere, we had them where we wanted. We blew coverage on their goal after pretty much shutting them out, 4min later they get a lucky bounce. Hey, go ahead man, think that Thornton coming back somehow made Bergeron realize he needed to step up his game and put one in. Sure. :facepalm:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Haaaa... the elusive concept of momentum. Nobody can say what it is, nobody can say when it will change or even take any part in the proceedings, yet, it is there, you can feel it if you believe in it.

Sounds religious to me.

When looking at scoring, momentum simply doesn't exist:

http://statsbylopez.com/2014/04/29/momentum-and-hockey/

Long story short, if a team just scored 2 goals (or even 3) to tie the game, it is NOT more likely to score the next goal. Yet, hockey wisdom would indicate that this team had a boatload of momentum going its way when tying the score.

Anyway, I fully expect to be disproved by anectodal evidence. In fact, I will be disappointed if it does not happen! :laugh:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Prust and Boullion being out is a nice thing to see. I don't think MT is as conservative with line changes right now. I'm nervous about Murray, but at the very least Prust out is the right move. He's simply not up to the task and White is a little more useful right now (Faceoffs, RH shot, Energy, Health)

I'm really starting to enjoy Therrien....

I think I need to re-think my signature.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Boston has had the momentum since min 1 of game 1. Winning the first game was "allmost lucky" so to speak, considering we looked like we were killing a power play for 60 min. Was only a matter of time till the "result" came.

The only positive that can come out of these series is if price plays at 110% for rest of the series and one or more of our snipers have good shooting luck ala Cammy during our ECF run.
Scenario which we will have repeat for two more rounds if successfully since we would play pit and one of chi/la

Death

Formerly reaping souls as Death ...
Apr 24, 2014
France, Alps
I've been reading all of you for months ... but finally I subscribed. Let's be honest, I'm proud to join this hell of a mess :yo:

Not easy to watch the games when they begin at 1 or 2 am, so I'd like to give kudos to every single fan supporting the Canadiens from far away countries.

As for this third game ... I just hope they bring back the W, I'm not in the "no matter the way" stuff, but for this one, any way of winning would make me happy, it's the decisive game IMO. Otherwise, I'm afraid "summer" will be too long for my taste.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think the solution is to get slower and worse at break outs. Murray in solves nothing. Not surprised therrien cant think beyond experience on the back end though

It's not complicated at all. Bouillon directly cost us 2 goals last game, especially the 2nd he tipped in that would've given us the win had it not happened. Murray is slower, but Bouillon isn't exactly fast.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
WHAT!? What's wrong with bourque?

Out with flu....but i think he'll be there.
With Prust out...apparently, Therrien will go with:

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek
Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Briere/Bournival?-Eller-Gionta
Moen-White-Weise

And successfully break all 3 lines that allowed us to score goals in these PO.
But kept intact the ONE line that can't score at 5 on 5.

Hope GT is wrong....

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Out with flu....but i think he'll be there.
With Prust out...apparently, Therrien will go with:

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek
Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Briere/Bournival?-Eller-Gionta
Moen-White-Weise

And successfully break all 3 lines that allowed us to score goals in these PO.
But kept intact the ONE line that can't score at 5 on 5.

Hope GT is wrong....

Woah!

That's insanity! Why keep together the ONLY line that's not working? Especially now that Bourque-Eller-Gionta got it going. This is maddening.

PS who is GT? Gaston? He can't be that credible and I don't believe that MT is that stupid. Regular season MT, but not playoff MT.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Oh ****, hopefully Bourque plays tomorrow.

I wouldn't break up that Bourque-Eller-Gionta line if Bourque is in either, I don't know why Therrien would do that. The first line needs a shakeup more than anything.

I would have preferred Tinordi in the lineup over Murray too.

Tonight or tomorrow night, I'm working regardless :(

Watching playoff hockey at work is not good.

I can't watch at all from work. Hopefully if I'm lucky I'll get home mid-way through the 1st though.

If I'm lucky.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
i thought bourque looked off saturday...probably was ill then.

hopefully he has his energy back, because he will need him if we're going to succeed.

If Bourque can't go, I'd put Andrighetto in. We need some offensive zone pressure.

68*

We need someone that can move the puck like Beaulieu. Murray is not the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad