Pre-Game Talk: Game 3: Tuesday May 6th 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I know what sample size is.

Its nice to see stats guys admit that hockey stats are no better than flipping a coin.;)

Then you have trouble reading. Nowhere in my message did I imply that hockey stats were as useful as flipping a coin.

In case you didn't get it the first time, it's very simple: one game of hockey is flukey (I said 'one', not 'the').

Some anti-stats guys like to say it's because hockey is chaotic, cannot be predicted, look there: momentum and other stuff like that. While there is some truth to this, it's not the complete story.

The major problem* with ONE game of hockey is sample size. 30 shots and 2.5 goals per team is not enough for stats. Just like flipping a coin 4 times is bound to be flukey and not representative of the real, underlying physical phenomenon you're trying to assess.

You get it now? A perfectly predictable and deterministic process (coin toss) becomes totally unpredictable and random when you don't sample it enough. So yes, ONE game of hockey is inherently unpredictable, but that's because of sample size first, not because of the nature of the game.

Anyways, I should know better than to argue with the anti-stats crowd. After all, hockey is a very conservative sport... :sarcasm:

Just kidding, guys. Go Habs and yes, I'm hoping for a flukey result tonight! :naughty:

*Note here that I say 'problem' in the context of statistical analysis. A 100 hours hockey game, if it was possible, would be great for a stat geek, but extremely boring to watch. First, the result would become much more predictable, and we'd all be dead drunk by the 14th period.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Well, hopefully Murray will play 6 or 7 sheltered minutes max. and White should be able to avoid the box.

Anyway, Pacioretty waking up would be better than any of these minor changes.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
jhwfsis.gif

edit: Just saw Desharnais reaction hahaha :laugh:
Damn, I see Halpern. He's a guy I'd like to have on the team right around now

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
OoOOOoooooo

I ****IN LOVE IT!

Whiiitteeyy

I so miss the old White. The new White is meh.

If I had one wish, it would be for White and Murray to hurt people. Not in a career ending way, but in a you-better-think-twice kinda way.

Eh, who am I kidding. Montreal - fans and management - have no stomach for that.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
Just saw this on Hockey Inside Out:

jlgib1019MAY 6, 2014 AT 10:46 AM
The 2014 version is about as scary as Bournival without the scoring ability

Couldn't have said it better myself

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
The Bruins propaganda division has been pushing Price's buttons with an unintended result. I would be very surprised if Price let's in one goal tonight

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Looking forward to seeing him back tonight (hopefully). He brings it every shift.

White had great chemistry with Weise. Plus he's not too bad on the face offs.

Glad to see him in the lineup.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The good news: the habs will win if Therrien outcoaches Julien with the last line change.

Or is that good news?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ha Ha Ha
Do you always challenge the most logical posts in such an illogical fashion.
There are no momentum swings in sports folks.
Coaches don't bother addressing your player between periods.
Guys don't bother saying "i'm getting the next one".
In the history of this sport momemtum swings have been discussed and pinpointed on many occasions.
They are often the most banal events.
If you are not wiiling concede that Scott Thornton's return to a game, in the Garden, could rile a crowd, his team, and impact play. I suggest you take up Baseball it is a much slower sport you might be able to
catch the nuances of the game. You then proceed to disparage the reporter on the scene. Yeah McGuire made it up because he had no material for The Mike Richards Show. Finally swallowing Julien's schtick hook line and sinker.
Okay Then :amazed:

:biglaugh: I've read it all now.

I never said Thornton's presence could not provide a lift, I said in this particular instance, it didn't. For such a logical poster, how did you not understand this?
And again, for logic, explain to me why the coach would be lying about this?

I never said McGuire had no material, I said he's paid to make comments, so if he's sitting by the bench, sees Thornton come back and say ''we need to score boys!'' and they score, then ya, he'll comment. Is this the reason why Bourque blew his defensive coverage though? Everything was going our way, then we blow our coverage, they score. After that, they get a completely fluky goal in. After that, Price's skate gets stuck on the net moving laterally. Jesus man, that is some kind of momentum power this Thornton guy has.
He can control our players, deflect pucks and sabotage Price. The guy is magical!
What about our bench? You think there isn't one player that was talking? Telling the guys to stay focused? To kill the clock?? You think the Bruins players were dead silent early in the 3rd and then we scored??? Seriously dude, what are you babbling about. Players constantly talk and pump each other up, now you're using one instance and saying ''see! see!! He came back and pumped the guys up! It must be thanks to him!!'' completely ignoring the defensive breakdowns we committed. Sloppy unforced coverage and lucky bounces are ignored for the benefit of ''momentum''..Sure buddy.

What's truly funny here is you speak as if your the logical one. Believe in this crap all you want, but don't call it logic at least. That's just insane.

Anyways, thanks for the comic relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad