GDT: Game 3 - CBJ (0-2-0) vs BUF (2-0-0) - October 7, 7pm

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
To be fair, when you have 44 shots on net, that's less "praying to get through" and more "getting through consistently".

We were pretty accurate this game. Per the official scoresheet, out of 66 attempts on net, 13 were blocked and only 6 were misses. (By contrast, we blocked 17 of their shots, and they outright missed another 15.)
There’s a difference though in playing uptempo hockey , and filtering anything and everything at the net , and having an offensive strategy setting up nice quick cross passes , and running a disciplined offensive set where your quick passes are setting up grade a scoring chances .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The best news Sonny could hear is "you've been traded". I think he will be successful on the right team. He won't under Torts because he doesn't and will never play the type of game Torts values. That's just the reality as it relates to both.
Yep, and this illustrates why Torts probably is canned this season . Milano is a great playmaker on a team that severely lacks playmakers. Texier is probably the only other playmaker we have .

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Im really happy we got the W but why did Foligno give Korpi the Kepi? Was that supposed to be a confidence boast for the future? Honestly the way this team played tonight, it should of been 5-0. We won seemingly every puck battle, it was non stop onslaught of pressure. I don't think that type of game is sustainable but I hope I am wrong. Korpi is going to need to be better than 3 goals on 18 shots.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Im really happy we got the W but why did Foligno give Korpi the Kepi? Was that supposed to be a confidence boast for the future? Honestly the way this team played tonight, it should of been 5-0. We won seemingly every puck battle, it was non stop onslaught of pressure. I don't think that type of game is sustainable but I hope I am wrong. Korpi is going to need to be better than 3 goals on 18 shots.

That's exactly why. Fligs knows Korpi is going to have to build confidence and get on a roll here.

Back from the game - quite good in entertainment value. I was on the optimistic side this summer, which maybe puts me in the minority. I'm on board with this team. It's going to be a rough ride and there's going to be some stinkers like the Pittsburgh game. But, I think I'm going to love watching Texier, Bemstrom, Lilja grow this year. Hopefully Korpi and Elvis as well. We need Torts to realize that he has to be a teacher that occasionally gives these kids (including Milano) the carrot and not the stick all the time.

Looking forward to the ride...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It's better than giving to to our supposed "top defensemen" who blew defensive coverage that led to scores that Korpisalo had almost no chance to stop. Werenski was the blame for #1 and Murray's turnover was #2.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
It's better than giving to to our supposed "top defensemen" who blew defensive coverage that led to scores that Korpisalo had almost no chance to stop. Werenski was the blame for #1 and Murray's turnover was #2.
Werenski has never been good defensively, he has elite puck skills and a great shot, Murray is probably the most infuriating player we have only due to complete lack of intensity at times. Both are great players. I would have given it to Texier, he is going to be very very good. He has extremely good skating and puck handling.

Shoutout to Wennberg and Gavrikov who both had very nice games in my opinion.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
No complaints about the goaltending. Goal one was a slam dunk on a power play, goal two was off a steal and was a 1-on-1, and goal three was in a 6-on-4 situation.

When OT started, I thought we were cooked. Buffalo had the puck for a solid minute and a half. Even when we did get the puck, we turned it over without generating anything. But the nature of NHL OT means anything even remotely dangerous is usually a goal. Once Foligno came out of the corner with that puck, I just yelled "goal" even before I saw Texier. Force that turnover, and you just know someone's going to be screaming down the slot.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don’t get the excitement about Texier, he’s very raw, the goal he scored in OT was all Foligno, he just sniped it from high slot. He didn’t impress me 5v5 whatsoever.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
I don’t get the excitement about Texier, he’s very raw, the goal he scored in OT was all Foligno, he just sniped it from high slot. He didn’t impress me 5v5 whatsoever.

He played and held his own in last year’s playoffs (earning time over Wennberg, who was scratched). I think the fact that Texier is raw but is still producing is reason enough to be excited. And outside of Cam can you name another sniper? So why take away credit for a great, game winning snipe?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Wasn't alot of room out there. he won most of his board battles, especially the ones in his own zone

2 point night

He looked solid imo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For being a first round pick, he should have that confidence. Look at the guys that are coming in and passing him right up, Bemstrom and Texier. I have to believe the coaches are telling him what they want from him and either he isn't listening, or he can't do what they want. I like Sonny, I have seen him do some really good things, but alot of times he is just frustrating to watch. I really wonder when Columbus is just going to give up with him, which could be just what he needs to wake him up, because cutting his playing time doesn't seem to work.

I get this as an occasional critique of Sonny, but he had some very good shifts tonight. I don't see much reason to complain about his performance in this game. He should have had more ice time actually.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I watched the kid and thought he was great tonight. This guy wins his board battles, better than most veterans actually. He forced pucks unnecessarily a couple times, but overall he had a positive impact and was a huge boost for his line with Wennberg and Bjorkstrand. At 5 v 5 Texier had a corsi for % of 62 %. Also for a team that hasn't been able to bury the puck, I'm never going to say "he just sniped it".

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Texier and Bemstrom are both the real deal. Different players, and could see them fit on a line together in the future. With the right linemates neither looks out of place in a "top 6" role or on the PP. I actually like Lilja quite a bit also, and Milano did not look bad either and made some nice passes.

With all the parroting of Korpisalo's "numbers", let me get this straight, anything other than 1 goal against is "not good enough", if the SOG doesn't hit 20?

That's not how things work. No 18 shots are the same. Can anybody explain what more you'd want Korpisalo to do on those shots? Look at where goal 3 ( and goal 1) hits the net.

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That first goal is not on Werenski, not even 1%. His responsibility there is guarding the netmouth and the Sabre that is in front, he can't cover the pass lanes in the middle of the zone or Johansson who is way out wide. It's a really tough play to stop, but if you have to pick one guy to blame for it it's Wennberg, who is supposed to cover that pass lane. Wenny was great otherwise though, I loved watching him tonight.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With all the parroting of Korpisalo's "numbers", let me get this straight, anything other than 1 goal against is "not good enough", if the SOG doesn't hit 20?

That's not how things work. No 18 shots are the same. Can anybody explain what more you'd want Korpisalo to do on those shots? Look at where goal 3 ( and goal 1) hits the net.

I sort of agree, Korpi is getting a bad rap here. The first and third goals are kind of impossible to stop. The second one, I'd want Korpisalo to do some highway robbery. So that is to say, he hasn't been bad, not as the numbers suggest, but he hasn't been good either.

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
7. Is PK off or a victim of goalies not making the big saves?

I'd say neither in game 1 and 3. You don't expect to kill every penalty when you're playing PP's like Toronto or Buffalo (yes, Buffalo's PP is that good now). Pittsburgh was perhaps the opposite though, bad goaltending and shit play across the board.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Okay point streak has began and how long it lasts .. Goaltending doesnt look very good. Okay 3 matches but Elvis was just terrible and Korpi well, cant say he has been winning goalie. Against Toronto he has no chance, but sabres, we will need gamesavers at the past.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If we had a patient coach I'd love to see a "Kid Line" of Tex centering Milano and Bemstrom.
Tell them to go have fun. Werenski to carry the puck out behind them might be nice too.

Reactions: CPTN71

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

He was fantastic last night, I mean, he was one of the 5 best players out there. +2, 3 shots a few takeaways and hits. He is a pretty physical player, he's going to take the body every chance he gets. He's a "good Ontario boy", if you know what I mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad