GDT: Game 3 - CBJ (0-2-0) vs BUF (2-0-0) - October 7, 7pm

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Good two points, we should have won that in regulation. It really shouldn’t have been that close. Still don’t trust Korpi (an .833 save percentage).

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Great job by Foligno getting that puck to Texier for the winner.

Buffalo had no business getting a point but credit to the CBJ for sticking with it for the win. Some positives signs from Wennberg and Bjorkstrand in this game -- hopefully they can build off it.

As for the goaltending -- 3 goals on 18 shots for a .833 save%. Must be better.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
That GWG shot by Texier, by virtue of being a shot on goal, actually improved Ullmark's SV% on the evening, from .930 to .931.

Korpi had a .833 SV%.

I believe in this team. We dominated from start to finish. We deserved the win and we got it. But this game had absolutely no business being anywhere near as close on the scoresheet as it was.
Doesn't 40/44 give him a .909?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Time for Torts to be sent to the Citgo. I’m watching this game recorded , catching up Milano and Texier are probably the 2 best playmakers on the team , I look at the box score now , Milano has 7 minutes of ice time . Just unreal
Milano had a couple nice plays but he has to be more aggressive. He needs to make plays like what Foligno just did to set up Texier. How Bjorkstrand fights for pucks, and he is 20 pounds lighter than Milano. He has to flat out be more agressive. He plays to passive.

Reactions: hn777

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Milano had a couple nice plays but he has to be more aggressive. He needs to make plays like what Foligno just did to set up Texier. How Bjorkstrand fights for pucks, and he is 20 pounds lighter than Milano. He has to flat out be more agressive. He plays to passive.
He needs confidence, only way to get that is to play games in the nhl. Getting shuffled in and out of the lineup makes it pretty difficult to build up and trust in yourself let alone the coaches.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I thought Sonny played pretty well tonight and did set up some nice plays. Not gonna be too harsh on him tonight.

Reactions: majormajor

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Very enjoyable game. The games are less stressful because I have no expectations. They played very well. That's how they have to play to be successful and they must get better goal tending. Congrats boys.

Still wish Torts would let the kids loose a little. I see lots of potential in all the new guys. I don't see anywhere near playoffs but this will be an easy team to root for.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I still have 0 faith in our goaltending.
I had some. It is rapidly vanishing. I am not yet to the point where I'm going to start demanding we get someone else immediately (despite what's been seen so far, it is nonetheless still early), but I find myself empathizing with folks who are doing so.

My faith in the rest of the team, however, remains strong. :thumbu:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He needs confidence, only way to get that is to play games in the nhl. Getting shuffled in and out of the lineup makes it pretty difficult to build up and trust in yourself let alone the coaches.
He’s by far one of the best players the jackets have. Totally stood out tonight , just like he did in the Offseason . Yet, Prehistoric Torts plays him 7 minutes . I’ll take a losing season if we can get rid of torts , bring in a new coach like Buffalo did . They look totally different. Amazing when you have a coach that understands and practices offense

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Thoughts from tonight's game:

1. A needed win that should have been easier, but
2. Too many penalties so far this season, the last one being particular costly
3. Texier a better LW match with 10 and 28 than was Nyquist
4. Not sure why Bjorkstrand is not an OT player
5. Happy for the win - will be happier to see better goaltending
6. Milano deserved more than 7+ minutes; his offensive instincts are too good and needed
7. Is PK off or a victim of goalies not making the big saves?
8. Nuti and Gav paired well tonight
9. Have to be happy with 42 SOG in regulation
10. Looking forward to our next game

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
For being a first round pick, he should have that confidence. Look at the guys that are coming in and passing him right up, Bemstrom and Texier. I have to believe the coaches are telling him what they want from him and either he isn't listening, or he can't do what they want. I like Sonny, I have seen him do some really good things, but alot of times he is just frustrating to watch. I really wonder when Columbus is just going to give up with him, which could be just what he needs to wake him up, because cutting his playing time doesn't seem to work.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I had some. It is rapidly vanishing. I am not yet to the point where I'm going to start demanding we get someone else immediately (despite what's been seen so far, it is nonetheless still early), but I find myself empathizing with folks who are doing so.

My faith in the rest of the team, however, remains strong. :thumbu:
Defense played very well to protect him (minus Murray gaffe). Need them to play at least to NHL average so that 18 shots isn’t netting 3 GA. Similar sentiments from me. One or both has to show something otherwise they are a hole that is sinking the boat

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Defense played very well to protect him (minus Murray gaffe). Need them to play at least to NHL average so that 18 shots isn’t netting 3 GA. Similar sentiments from me. One or both has to show something otherwise they are a hole that is sinking the boat
Would help if we quit giving up powerplays to the top powerplay in the league . 2 of the 3 were on the powerplay , and the other was Murray being lazy and getting his pocket picked for an easy shot on goal . Korpi was not bad considering . Buffalo gets much better shots on net because they are setting up offense , rather than praying to get a shot thru from the point

Reactions: Inglewood JACKets

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
For being a first round pick, he should have that confidence. Look at the guys that are coming in and passing him right up, Bemstrom and Texier. I have to believe the coaches are telling him what they want from him and either he isn't listening, or he can't do what they want. I like Sonny, I have seen him do some really good things, but alot of times he is just frustrating to watch. I really wonder when Columbus is just going to give up with him, which could be just what he needs to wake him up, because cutting his playing time doesn't seem to work.
The best news Sonny could hear is "you've been traded". I think he will be successful on the right team. He won't under Torts because he doesn't and will never play the type of game Torts values. That's just the reality as it relates to both.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Would help if we quit giving up powerplays to the top powerplay in the league . 2 of the 3 were on the powerplay , and the other was Murray being lazy and getting his pocket picked for an easy shot on goal . Korpi was not bad considering . Buffalo gets much better shots on net because they are setting up offense , rather than praying to get a shot thru from the point
To be fair, when you have 44 shots on net, that's less "praying to get through" and more "getting through consistently".

We were pretty accurate this game. Per the official scoresheet, out of 66 attempts on net, 13 were blocked and only 6 were misses. (By contrast, we blocked 17 of their shots, and they outright missed another 15.)

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I’m a little bit confused by people disappointed by the goaltending tonight. Didn’t really think he let in any bad ones. His save percentage was low because of the few amount of shots. No, he didn’t make a big, difficult save when he could’ve. But if you’re mad about that, you were spoiled by Bob and/or have not watched Korpi the past four years and/or should be mad at Jarmo for not doing anything to address the situation.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad