GDT: Game 3 - CBJ (0-2-0) vs BUF (2-0-0) - October 7, 7pm

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So are we going to recover or is this going to be a season where we are looking forward to the draft in December?

I watched about 10 minutes total of hockey so far. It was tough to watch and that's when we were in both games. We were doing absolutely nothing. Not sure if this was the same for the rest of both games, but dang it took me back to some rough times.

We can't be that bad.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Going to be another tough one.

Buffalo beat the Pens and stomped the Devils while we lost both games playing pretty average hockey
I’m not buying that after 2 games we are going to talk about Buffalo like it’s the Red Army team in the 70’s like I refuse to believe the CBJ is as bad as they have been in their 2 games.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Should be interesting. If the Jackets dropped back-to-back games against the Leafs and Pens in January, probably wouldn't be the level of angst there is right now. Going to give the Jackets a few more games to see if they can play some solid hockey.

Reactions: thebus88

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I hope the defense and Korpi show up for game three...the forwards cant win us any games.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I’m not buying that after 2 games we are going to talk about Buffalo like it’s the Red Army team in the 70’s like I refuse to believe the CBJ is as bad as they have been in their 2 games.

We know that sports tends to be impacted a lot by momentum. Currently the momentum is in the favor of us losing again. Luckily we've tended to be resilient in the last few season and Buffalo has tended to be fragile. One period could flip the current dynamic. We just have to get them to doubt themselves.

Or course there could have been too many changes in key positions and we could really be that bad. After all we tend to have around 20 million wrapped in under performing forwards. This is the time for PLD to take the team over. If he slumps, this could be a rough season as then we're looking at Wennberg.

Reactions: Dumais

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Losing Anderson definitely sucks...thankfully day-to-day doesn't sound too bad for the long term picture.

Also, Milano is confirmed to be in lineup tonight.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
No doubt, some days this place is the cess poll of forums. Jackets came out flat as could be last year, defenseman looked like they forgot how to play hockey. Looks like this is the second year in a row. Were 2 games into the season, one against the best team in the league, coming off a week layoff, with 3 rookies added to the lineup, and the second game, a goalie making his first ever Nhl start on the road.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No doubt, some days this place is the cess poll of forums.
I get the impression that there's some folks who just have the need to vent their frustrations (same as the rest of us, because I'm sure no Jackets fan is actually happy with the start ;) ) and they choose here rather than somewhere else for whatever reason. I prefer screaming into a pillow or something, myself, but to each their own.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No doubt, some days this place is the cess poll of forums. Jackets came out flat as could be last year, defenseman looked like they forgot how to play hockey. Looks like this is the second year in a row. Were 2 games into the season, one against the best team in the league, coming off a week layoff, with 3 rookies added to the lineup, and the second game, a goalie making his first ever Nhl start on the road.

Well we didn't just lose Panarin and Bob either. Until the players step up and stop the bleeding, we are in the unknown right now so past history is not something we can lean on as much. There are times that I'm hard on our more negative posters, but now isn't going to be one of those times. They could actually be right this time. Last thing you want is a bunch of evidence that you were wrong and they were right.

Dubinsky is hurt and not the player he was 3 seasons ago. Foligno is now 31 and we tend to play him too much anyway. Wennberg has been on the decline. Jenner kind of hit a ceiling, so we're probably not going to see more than what we have. PLD had some rough stretches last season and we have to see how he responds without Panarin. We have to wait for Nyquist to get integrated in. Can OB build on last season? We have a lot of really young kids. You don't go into a season looking for your back fill in production to come from 20 year old's, it rarely turns out well. Nyquist is a fine player, but he's not there to replace Panarin.

I'm not doom and gloom, but I'm also on the record saying that this could be a really rough period (not really going out on a limb here).

Having said that, looking over the stats it doesn't look like Atkinson is going to go down without a fight. Foligno appears to be shooting the puck every time he can, not sure that's really in the best interest of the team.

Hopefully I can watch most of the game tonight and get a feel for where we are at.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I can't wait to fire up the "Fire Torts" banter soon. :neener:

Just kidding, hope they bounce back. Buffalo isn't some powerhouse after 2 games. Go Jackets. I'll actually be able to watch this one so I'm hoping to see a lot of Tex, Bemstrom, and Gavrikov.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can't wait to fire up the "Fire Torts" banter soon. :neener:

Just kidding, hope they bounce back. Buffalo isn't some powerhouse after 2 games. Go Jackets. I'll actually be able to watch this one so I'm hoping to see a lot of Tex, Bemstrom, and Gavrikov.
Lets be real, I have that thread on my speed dial, especially when the young guys start getting there playing time jerked around :D

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Btw, does anyone know why there’s so few tickets on SeatGeek? TM has tons of available tickets
CBJ are making it harder and harder to sell anywhere outside of the verified resale via Ticketmaster.

New for this year is they are putting "screenshot not acceptable" under the barcode of Digital tickets... (although after testing it Friday, it still works)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You would like Korpisalo to stop 1, quite possibly 2 of the goals in game 1. I'll leave most of my comments out on Elvis, as I ( as some could imagine) could go ON and ON about his play that we saw against PIT, along with what I saw and said, and what others said about him, beforehand.

Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

I'd be interested in knowing what the dude has really looked like in practice and training camp. He didn't look like anything special (or "good") in preseason either. 1 side to side stop on a 2 on 1, that has to be slowly saucer passed over an entire defenders body, isn't enough "good", sorry. People thought it was bad when Korpisalo was our backup? We very well may need to go out and get a new backup goalie. He very well should never have started the season with the big team, and absolutely shouldn't have started his 1st game against PIT. Reminiscent of the Gabe Carlsson situation of the past, in regards to "hype", and/or penciling them into the lineup/gifting them a roster spot, or even talks of "making room". Much of this falls on Jarmo and Torts.

The team is completely different with Korpisalo in net. He IS a GOOD GOALIE.

I'll save more for later. Torts' line decisions and Jenner's mindset in regards to his finishing ability need to get changed a bit.

Bjorkstrand and Bemstrom need to get used more. On all of them, the coaches, and their linemates.

I'd take Dubinsky and a bum wrist over Wennberg still. 1 million or 5 million cap hit.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I can't wait to fire up the "Fire Torts" banter soon. :neener:.

I kind of felt that should have happened a season or two again. I think he's been our second best head coach in the history of this franchise. I also tend to think his window of building a Cup winner has probably left him by with this franchise.

With the turnover we had, it was probably time to move on. From my observation he's probably too close to the situation and the players. Coaches tend to form opinions on players and not move from them easily. We probably need a fresh look from someone new at this point. Someone that is going to evaluate from a fresh prescriptive and not react so much based on past performance.

Our on ice product feels stale. We probably need a fresh perspective to breath some new life in to this team. However this isn't how sports franchises work generally. Especially when you have existing contracts in place and/or if you didn't do your homework and don't know who the replacement will be. All GM's should have their list of preferred head coaches ready at all times. That research is almost as important as player evaluation, after all you have scouts for that.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
It's only two games so far but the signs on offense are worrying. The players look like they have no idea where their teammates are -- everyone's got their head down, so even though they're making plays individually, nothing links up and builds to anything bigger. I don't know and I'm not going to speculate on to what extent that's the players and to what extent it's coaching, but it's not a recipe for success.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You would like Korpisalo to stop 1, quite possibly 2 of the goals in game 1. I'll leave most of my comments out on Elvis, as I ( as some could imagine) could go ON and ON about his play that we saw against PIT, along with what I saw and said, and what others said about him, beforehand.

Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

I'd be interested in knowing what the dude has really looked like in practice and training camp. He didn't look like anything special (or "good") in preseason either. 1 side to side stop on a 2 on 1, that has to be slowly saucer passed over an entire defenders body, isn't enough "good", sorry. People thought it was bad when Korpisalo was our backup? We very well may need to go out and get a new backup goalie. He very well should never have started the season with the big team, and absolutely shouldn't have started his 1st game against PIT. Reminiscent of the Gabe Carlsson situation of the past, in regards to "hype", and/or penciling them into the lineup/gifting them a roster spot, or even talks of "making room". Much of this falls on Jarmo and Torts.

The team is completely different with Korpisalo in net. He IS a GOOD GOALIE.

I'll save more for later. Torts' line decisions and Jenner's mindset in regards to his finishing ability need to get changed a bit.

Bjorkstrand and Bemstrom need to get used more. On all of them, the coaches, and their linemates.

I'd take Dubinsky and a bum wrist over Wennberg still. 1 million or 5 million cap hit.

Yes Korpi is ahead of Merzlikins right now, but Elvis wasnt that bad in the preseason, considering the circumstances. His first game against the penguins, he was 17/18, second game we sent our B team to go up against most of St Louis starters, and he gave up 29/34. Last game if you remember, we iced an AHL team with 3 regulars, Buffalo dressed their Nhl squad, and he gave up 25/29. All said and done, he had a save % of .876 facing 2 Nhl squads, while we iced our B team.

Having said that, Saturdays game got away from him. He started out that first period strong, gave up a couple quick ones in the second, and the wheels fell off . The talent is clearly there. You seem to be a little inconsistent in your patience with Korpi over the past few years, and dismissive nature of Merzlikins after seeing him play 4 games in north america. From all accounts , he looked really solid in practice, and his work ethic is off the charts.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I kind of felt that should have happened a season or two again. I think he's been our second best head coach in the history of this franchise. I also tend to think his window of building a Cup winner has probably left him by with this franchise.

With the turnover we had, it was probably time to move on. From my observation he's probably too close to the situation and the players. Coaches tend to form opinions on players and not move from them easily. We probably need a fresh look from someone new at this point. Someone that is going to evaluate from a fresh prescriptive and not react so much based on past performance.

Our on ice product feels stale. We probably need a fresh perspective to breath some new life in to this team. However this isn't how sports franchises work generally. Especially when you have existing contracts in place and/or if you didn't do your homework and don't know who the replacement will be. All GM's should have their list of preferred head coaches ready at all times. That research is almost as important as player evaluation, after all you have scouts for that.

Totally agree with you, but Jarmo has been in a tough spot considering we made it to the second round last year for the first time ever. I would contend that for the second year straight, we get up early with a series lead, the other coach makes adjustments to counter how we are playing, and Torts couldnt adjust for the second year in a row. His utilization of skilled players, and trying to totally change their games has always been for me , what makes him as a bad fit for a franchise that has to develop their players, instead of bringing in free agents, not to mention that most free agents probably spurn Columbus because of who is behing our bench, for those same reasons. I think he is on thin ice, especially in light of making no staff adjustments, when his powerplay has sucked badly for the past 2 years.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad