GDT: Game 3 - CBJ (0-2-0) vs BUF (2-0-0) - October 7, 7pm

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
We have looked good in the first period this year

We have looked awful in the 2nd period this year. Don’t know if that is because we fly around in the first period and then settle down or other team figures us out or what.

I am ok with the minutes Milano got. Start him again and give him another minute or two next game if he plays like he did last night. Let him slowly earn more minutes over time.

Penalties are killing us. I expect pp scoring to be up this year because of the rule tweaks around face offs making it easier for teams to run their preferred set plays. Which makes it even more important to not commit so many penalties.

Does Skinner score every time he plays us? Sure seems that way.

Dahlin looks like the real deal. Eichel looks overpaid.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I stand by it. He looked like he belonged tonight though.

sure pal :rolleyes:

and of course he did..

but lets still go ahead and send down a forward who out of the youngest on the team seems to have Tort's trust the most, is basically leading the team in Corsi, and is in the top 5 of basically any other advanced metric on the team.

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He was fantastic last night, I mean, he was one of the 5 best players out there. +2, 3 shots a few takeaways and hits. He is a pretty physical player, he's going to take the body every chance he gets. He's a "good Ontario boy", if you know what I mean.
Yea not sure what the other poster was watching, he was fantastic up and down the ice. He does things that most players can not do. The results will follow more and more consistently.

Reactions: CPTN71 and thebus88

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
That first goal is not on Werenski, not even 1%. His responsibility there is guarding the netmouth and the Sabre that is in front, he can't cover the pass lanes in the middle of the zone or Johansson who is way out wide. It's a really tough play to stop, but if you have to pick one guy to blame for it it's Wennberg, who is supposed to cover that pass lane. Wenny was great otherwise though, I loved watching him tonight.
Yeah, on watching the replay Wennberg was a second too late to get his stick in the lane.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I don’t get the excitement about Texier, he’s very raw, the goal he scored in OT was all Foligno, he just sniped it from high slot. He didn’t impress me 5v5 whatsoever.
You say this about the soon to be GOAT French hockey player? Blasphemy!

While the goal itself was all Foligno, did you see Tex's zone entry before the goal? Not to mention, despite him being in a great position, the shot itself was still an absolute rocket on a quick release. And for a skilled rookie, he sure has a lot of puck control along the boards, and plays way more physical than the average rookie with his skillset. He's played about 10 games with us now, and in those 10 games he has at least 4-5 memorable plays. By that, I mean plays that showed skill and hockey sense at a level I haven't seen from many CBJ players ever (his lob pass to Anderson vs Tampa in the playoffs, for example). He also literally just turned 20.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I watched the kid and thought he was great tonight. This guy wins his board battles, better than most veterans actually. He forced pucks unnecessarily a couple times, but overall he had a positive impact and was a huge boost for his line with Wennberg and Bjorkstrand. At 5 v 5 Texier had a corsi for % of 62 %. Also for a team that hasn't been able to bury the puck, I'm never going to say "he just sniped it".
I’m not trying to say that he’s going to be a bust or something. It’s just we are writing him checks he might not be able to cash. We need to see more before setting such high expectations.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
As much as I wouldn't complain if Texier got sent down, it is obvious he is where he should be. He is just going to get better. You can see it. He is not overmatched. He should never sniff the AHL again.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Loved all of the lines last night, thought everyone took to their new linemates well.
Nyquist looked good on the first line, Texier and Foligno were clicking.....hope it all stays the same for next game, give them all some time to really gel.

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
With so many new and young players, I think we have to withhold judgement for quite awhile before we will really get a feel for who and what this team. That may be why Jarmo has not made a move yet to trade for a forward.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Man, just when you think you've read or seen it all, were now debating if Texier should be sent down ? Like, is this real life ?
Trust me... there is no debate, just 1 poster who has insisted on being stubborn with his opinion while providing no factual evidence as to why Texier should be sent down.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
sure pal :rolleyes:

and of course he did..

but lets still go ahead and send down a forward who out of the youngest on the team seems to have Tort's trust the most, is basically leading the team in Corsi, and is in the top 5 of basically any other advanced metric on the team.

Yeah, Torts really trusted him with that 14 minutes of ice time last game (only Bemstrom, Nash, Lilja played less). I get it was a blowout, and the entire team was overwhelmed, but Texier has looked good in one game of our three. Small sample size, yes, but I stand by what I said, pal.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Man, just when you think you've read or seen it all, were now debating if Texier should be sent down ? Like, is this real life ?

Nobody is debating anything. I said it after last game if Torts wasn't going to play him. I again stand by what I said. If Torts isn't going to trust Bemstrom and Texier they should go back down.

Trust me... there is no debate, just 1 poster who has insisted on being stubborn with his opinion while providing no factual evidence as to why Texier should be sent down.

How does one provide factual evidence (other than ice time) for an opinion? Also, how am I the stubborn one when you're the one who brought this up (albeit passive aggressively without actually putting my name on it like this is some high school BS).

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’m not trying to say that he’s going to be a bust or something. It’s just we are writing him checks he might not be able to cash. We need to see more before setting such high expectations.

Would you say all this if his name was Texov??

Too much?

Too soon?

Reactions: Monstershockey

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yeah, Torts really trusted him with that 14 minutes of ice time last game (only Bemstrom, Nash, Lilja played less). I get it was a blowout, and the entire team was overwhelmed, but Texier has looked good in one game of our three. Small sample size, yes, but I stand by what I said, pal.

Nobody is debating anything. I said it after last game if Torts wasn't going to play him. I again stand by what I said. If Torts isn't going to trust Bemstrom and Texier they should go back down.

How does one provide factual evidence (other than ice time) for an opinion? Also, how am I the stubborn one when you're the one who brought this up (albeit passive aggressively without actually putting my name on it like this is some high school BS).

**Well lets see.. there's advanced metrics.. but as I've said he's ranking pretty good with those, so I guess those are out.

**Then there is production. GWG sure does look nice.

**Then there is a few quotes from the Coach...
Tortorella knew he was going to play Texier in overtime, but it was a pleasant surprise for the rookie.
“Well deserved,” Tortorella said. “He was probably our best forward, our most consistent forward. He was on my sheet. I didn’t tell him until we got there, but he was on my sheet right from the drop of the puck tonight.
“When you make those decisions with young kids, it’s (a matter of being) comfortable with them playing away from the puck. And I am with him. He’s a very smart player.”

**But yeah, Torts definitely doesn't trust him and he should be sent down... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
**Well lets see.. there's advanced metrics.. but as I've said he's ranking pretty good with those, so I guess those are out.

**Then there is production. GWG sure does look nice.

**Then there is a few quotes from the Coach...

**But yeah, Torts definitely doesn't trust him and he should be sent down... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're making way too much of this. Over one game too.

Production, his one point. Nice. He looked good last game. He looked overwhelmed against Boston in the Spring. His sample size is very small, so we're going to need more games to see. I hope you're right.

I said what I said, and I stand by it. You're making it like I want him to go down, which isn't the case. If Torts uses him and trusts him, he should stay. I still have doubts on if he's ready, but he played well last game and its obviously way too early. But if Torts is going to use him in the same way he did against Pittsburgh, he shouldn't stay up here. They're banking on him big time, so hopefully they're right and not me.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You're making way too much of this. Over one game too.

Production, his one point. Nice. He looked good last game. He looked overwhelmed against Boston in the Spring. His sample size is very small, so we're going to need more games to see. I hope you're right.

I said what I said, and I stand by it. You're making it like I want him to go down, which isn't the case. If Torts uses him and trusts him, he should stay. I still have doubts on if he's ready, but he played well last game and its obviously way too early. But if Torts is going to use him in the same way he did against Pittsburgh, he shouldn't stay up here. They're banking on him big time, so hopefully they're right and not me.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure that Texier is Jarmos love child, and if he starts getting the Torts yank around treatment like Milano does, it would be the end of Torts.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Tex is skilled enough and fast enough to be an adequate Panarin replacement in OT.

Hell of a zone entry and play by him, and hell of a forced turnover by Foligno. The Captain is still worth every penny we pay him.

I'm not sure about this, my opinion is 1) we pay Foligno to much for his production and 2) when I look down the list of NHL Captains I think I would trade Nick for any of the others.

Reactions: Cowumbus

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
French hockey fan coming in peace..I use to watch every game played by follow countrymen in addition to my Stars and Habs
Be sure I will eat a lot of Columbus hockey as Tex is the best talent French Hochey has ever generated :popcorn:

I wonder why he doesn't play center, he could be your 2C
He is more a playmaker than a sniper and shows great chemistry with Bjorkstrand
What do you think about a second line Bemstrom-Texier-Bjorkstrand ?

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think the expectations come from Texier's all-around talent level and seeing his ability to outclass NHLers in some respects. They're legitimately high expectations. It's no guarantee that he meets expectations though, we all ought to know he's a rookie and there's a lot of room for things to go wrong, for him to "hit a wall", poor stretches of play, etc...

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
French hockey fan coming in peace..I use to watch every game played by follow countrymen in addition to my Stars and Habs
Be sure I will eat a lot of Columbus hockey as Tex is the best talent French Hochey has ever generated :popcorn:

I wonder why he doesn't play center, he could be your 2C
He is more a playmaker than a sniper and shows great chemistry with Bjorkstrand
What do you think about a second line Bemstrom-Texier-Bjorkstrand ?
I like it, but Torts would not.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm not sure about this, my opinion is 1) we pay Foligno to much for his production and 2) when I look down the list of NHL Captains I think I would trade Nick for any of the others.
Sure, in terms of level of players I would too. It’s not exactly a hot take that you would trade Nick for McDavid, Eichel, Barkov, Stamkos, etc.

Nick is still a productive enough player so that his contract isn’t an anchor, as we saw last night. The difference in level of production compared to his salary is mostly made up by his leadership and ability to lead and teach young teams. Is he overpaid by a million? Sure. But would we be better off if he just wasn’t on the team? I highly doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->