Post-Game Talk: Game #3 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7:30 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin is an all-time great who plays the game hard but clean. I am a huge fan of his game even though I am a Pens fan? Honest question, what is everyone's objective take on Wilson? Do people really believe that he is not dirty?

Wilson is dirty if you think the young Ovechkin was dirty. Same same. They play the same sort of hitting game. He hits from behind. He hits late. Those are bad decisions. He doesn't crosscheck, high stick, slash, elbow, slew foot. Those are dirty plays.

There was a time that half the league thought Ovechkin was the dirtiest player in the league. He hits too hard. Wilson is the same with a much dirtier mouth.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ovechkin is an all-time great who plays the game hard but clean. I am a huge fan of his game even though I am a Pens fan? Honest question, what is everyone's objective take on Wilson? Do people really believe that he is not dirty?

All players in the NHL take liberties. That's why they give a trophy to the guy who does it the least.

Wilson plays close to the edge and, because he hits so much and with such power, by sheer law of averages he's going to knock a few guys loopy or miss the clean shot. He's not the kind of player to run around spearing or randomly jumping into someone's head but he IS trying to lay you out on a clean hit. A lot.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I believe it's 80% reputation, 20% actually over the line play.

But thanks for stopping by and asking if we "honestly believe" one our beloved players "is not dirty", definitely not a loaded question.

I was not sure he was beloved and it really was not a loaded question. Although I am a Pens fan, its pretty easy for me to acknowledge when we have a dirty player or someone on the squad commits a dirty play. I have no issue with Wilson playing physical, I just think that when goes high/targets the head, it's a dirty play. I don't watch the Caps much outside of the playoffs, but a lot of his hits seem blindside, high or at the very least, not shoulder to chest. That could easily just be because you tend to remember the borderline hits more during the course of a game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was not sure he was beloved and it really was not a loaded question. Although I am a Pens fan, its pretty easy for me to acknowledge when we have a dirty player or someone on the squad commits a dirty play. I have no issue with Wilson playing physical, I just think that when goes high/targets the head, it's a dirty play. I don't watch the Caps much outside of the playoffs, but a lot of his hits seem blindside, high or at the very least, not shoulder to chest. That could easily just be because you tend to remember the borderline hits more during the course of a game.

You do realize that Wilson is usually the tallest player on the ice, right? He's fast. He closes ground quicky. He doesn't target the head. That shows where your prejudice lies. Does he hit high? Sure. He's tall.

Lets go back to the beginning. You think the hit on Visnovsky was targeting the head?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
You do realize that Wilson is usually the tallest player on the ice, right? He's fast. He closes ground quicky. He doesn't target the head. That shows where your prejudice lies. Does he hit high? Sure. He's tall.

Lets go back to the beginning. You think the hit on Visnovsky was targeting the head?

Pronger physics. ;)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

he's "dirty" in the same way Eric Lindros was "dirty". he is bigger and faster than most everyone else, and he knows it. So he uses that.

he's not "dirty" in the same way a Brad Marchand is "dirty". He's not throwing elbows (and hes not slew footing like the Pens stars do all the time either...so if they arent "dirty", then neither is Wilson)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Did you think Eric Lindros was dirty?

So you think Sid's slashing/slew foots or Malkin's head shots/slew foots are dirty? What about Letang's elbows?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Another thing that makes Wilson dirty is that he is fine hitting the opposing best players. He is on the first line now. Opposing teams put their best defensemen on the ice and Wilson runs them over. Its legal but makes for great hate

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

For your viewing pleasure and enlightenment!:teach2:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our little devastating angel is all grown up

images
d5b35e3fc2b5ad1d7d6689fcb46f077a--washington-capitals-hockey-stuff.jpg

Tom-Wilson-fight.jpg

Gloves Sighting! Maybe he will be at game 5
tom-wilson-washington-capitals-vs-los-angeles-kings.jpg

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The guy is an arrant sneeze away from being suspended. Play smart, draw penalties, engage in only physical contests that you know are clear and safe.
Wilson has to step away from the borderline play tonight and likely game 4 too. I know a lot of his play rides that line but he must play conservative tonight. If he's invisible tonight I actually am taking that as a victory.

At this point the fear of a Wilson hit is almost as powerful as an actual Wilson hit. So he really can afford to back off a bit.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's the Penguins "grassy knoll". First it was David Steckel, then Ovechkin and Niskanen in last year's playoffs and now Tom Wilson.

Thanks for the S1d dirty POS compilation, to shut him up. The gif that keeps on giving.

I wonder if he was alive when Paul Baxter and Pat Price patrolled their blue line. Dare I think not.

Stevens didn't have a left but rarely lost a fight.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
At this point the fear of a Wilson hit is almost as powerful as an actual Wilson hit. So he really can afford to back off a bit.

Agreed, and this the exact game to do just that, fly in on someone and watch em squirt, peel off and get ready to crash the net after the turnover.

Chiasson and DSP can be our big hitters tonight. I think a certain someone is going to be a little worried about DSP.

A better Stevens fight....

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Agreed, and this the exact game to do just that, fly in on someone and watch em squirt, peel off and get ready to crash the net after the turnover.

Chiasson and DSP can be our big hitters tonight. I think a certain someone is going to be a little worried about DSP.

A better Stevens fight....

Looking for big things from Druce Smith Pelly. ;)

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad