Post-Game Talk: GAME 28 - The effort was there but...... Tampa 3 BRUINS 2 FINAL

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
I hate to say this, but is this team close to the end of the road with the veterans?

Backes of course but also the core of our cup team - 33, 37, 46, 63!

Sure, you might get another 2/3 quality years of Bergy & Marsh but DK46 isn't the same player and neither is Chara.

Even adding a player or two, do you think this core has a chance of winning it all over the course of the next couple of years?

If not (and again, I hate to say it) you need to look at moving some of these guys while they have value.

At this point, each year that passes the production slips, the injuries increase and the value drops.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I hate to say this, but is this team close to the end of the road with the veterans?

Sure, you might get another 2/3 quality years of Bergy & Marsh but DK46 isn't the same player and neither is Chara.

Even adding a player or two, do you think this core has a chance of winning it all over the course of the next couple of years?

If not (and again, I hate to say it) you need to look at moving some of these guys while they have value.

At this point, each year that passes the production slips, the injuries increase and the value drops.
Kind of my feelings,bye the time the young guys really start to contribute offensively,or if ,how much will the Bruins vets have left in the tank.

Reactions: Strafer

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

It depends what the organizations goals are. This team currently is not a cup contender. So they are either OK with that, or they are not.
If they are not, changes upfront are needed to be a cup contender before their core declines.
If they are OK as is, then you could argue that they should consider giving those guys another shot elsewhere.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I thought they competed well tonight. A few brain farts cost them a point.

Their offence though...I remember the 2009 team. At least there was hope they might score. This team just has no creativity or skill outside of a few forwards.

Brown. When I watch them I think of the colour brown. Just.....blah.

Brown- the color of shit. Just saying :(:mad:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Missed the game- surprised & delighted that Charlie McAvoy was in the line up. How did he look?

Rusty, his skating just seemed off last night. He must have fallen without being touch 3-4 times. Stepped on the puck once and fell, which led to the 2nd goal IIRC. He'll probably need 5-8 games to really hit his stride again

Reactions: BMC

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Rusty, his skating just seemed off last night. He must have fallen without being touch 3-4 times. Stepped on the puck once and fell, which led to the 2nd goal IIRC. He'll probably need 5-8 games to really hit his stride again
Funny thing is that all the B's seem to have that fall with no one around them problem! Not sure if it's a OMG , I'm gonna get hit so I better fall down or the equipment guy doesn't know how to operate the skate sharpener properly?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I still want to remain confident that this team can turn it around. I think having Charlie back will clearly help the transition game. If we can hang around the wild card and a few of the sophomores pick it up I still believe we can compete.

Reactions: Dr Hook

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Well it's nice to have McAvoy back but I am not at all happy with them sending Clifton back to Providence. For the players who are not producing such as Backes, Heinen etc.. why not ship these guys down to providence for a wake up call. The problem with Boston is the management team fails to see these so called stars having a bad season, are the players who have established themselves never sent back down?? Why not put Krejci with Marchand and Pasta?? I hope management make a blockbuster deal but I don't believe that will happen.

Reactions: FanSince72

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Holding on to a playoff spot until we get healthy is the #1 priority right now. Beating teams like Tampa is wishful thinking right now.

Reactions: Ned Bouhalassa

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well it's nice to have McAvoy back but I am not at all happy with them sending Clifton back to Providence. For the players who are not producing such as Backes, Heinen etc.. why not ship these guys down to providence for a wake up call. The problem with Boston is the management team fails to see these so called stars having a bad season, are the players who have established themselves never sent back down?? Why not put Krejci with Marchand and Pasta?? I hope management make a blockbuster deal but I don't believe that will happen.

Can't send Backes to Prov- he has an NMC unless he agreed to go, and why would he? Heinen could maybe use a week or two of confidence building down there, though. It seemed to help Donato a little. Bjork was sent down, so I think the willingness is there at least in some cases. Acciari needs to be sent down for Anton Blidh, at least for a time also. I'd rather see Clifton in the lineup than Steven Kampfer FFS!

Cassidy has been putting Krejci with Marchand and Pasta at times in games, but with Bergeron out, I don't see why they don't just make that a line for the time being. "Spreading the scoring out" is a great theory except now we are getting next to nothing.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well it's nice to have McAvoy back but I am not at all happy with them sending Clifton back to Providence. For the players who are not producing such as Backes, Heinen etc.. why not ship these guys down to providence for a wake up call.

Well I would assume Backes has a NMC and can refuse being sent to Providence ? Maybe I'm wrong there, but Heinen is not waiver exempt anymore and would easily be claimed if he was sent back to Providence.

The problem with Boston is the management team fails to see these so called stars having a bad season, are the players who have established themselves never sent back down?? Why not put Krejci with Marchand and Pasta?? I hope management make a blockbuster deal but I don't believe that will happen.

If you put Krejci with Marchand and Pastrnak you are literally a one line team. It sucks but you need to spread the (lack of) talent out a little bit.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
we were only one point better at this mark last season.

saturday will give us a huge boost if we can win.
still would like to see some creative players called up like cehlarik instead of all these plugs like wagner acciari kuraly and nordstrom.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
we were only one point better at this mark last season.

saturday will give us a huge boost if we can win.
still would like to see some creative players called up like cehlarik instead of all these plugs like wagner acciari kuraly and nordstrom.

I still don't see what this kid brings besides his speed. Most nights he's just taking up a uniform

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Can't send Backes to Prov- he has an NMC unless he agreed to go, and why would he? Heinen could maybe use a week or two of confidence building down there, though. It seemed to help Donato a little. Bjork was sent down, so I think the willingness is there at least in some cases. Acciari needs to be sent down for Anton Blidh, at least for a time also. I'd rather see Clifton in the lineup than Steven Kampfer FFS!

Cassidy has been putting Krejci with Marchand and Pasta at times in games, but with Bergeron out, I don't see why they don't just make that a line for the time being. "Spreading the scoring out" is a great theory except now we are getting next to nothing.
believe Heinen would have to clear waivers and if true, while he isn`t exactly lighting it up, would likely get snapped up and I think DS doesn`t want that to happen

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bytorbruin

Jun 29, 2018
Lets stop kidding ourselves. Even if we squeak into the wild card; this team is done in round one. Its time to do a rebuild and get some decent young talent and rebuild the core.

We already know Tukka cant win the big game and our vets are tired with high mileage.

The sad thing is Sweeny and company dont have the know how or guts to do what needs to be done.

So we're stuck in mediocrity.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
So possibly packaging Krug in as part of a trade is “just giving up” a guy? Are you even interested as to what we could possibly get back?

You’re admitting the guy has faults and you don’t even want to explore the possibility of what he can get back? As you said “60 point defenseman”. Guy may have plenty of value. If we’re going for it anytime soon, I would think he could be a big piece in getting something pretty legit back on forward. Of course, it has to be “the right deal”, but I really don’t think Krug should be thought of as someone we can’t let go.
Any player can be traded, let’s be honest. However it would have to take a impressive package to get Krug. Now Grizz on the other hand, TSN is reporting that the Ducks are looking to make a move for a third pairing LD. The Bruins could definitely package Grizz and others to maybe get a RW for Krejci.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
believe Heinen would have to clear waivers and if true, while he isn`t exactly lighting it up, would likely get snapped up and I think DS doesn`t want that to happen

Yeah, that's right. Never mind then. I would guess that is a big reason why he hasn't been sent down. Too bad, he needs something to get him going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad