Post-Game Talk: GAME 28 - The effort was there but...... Tampa 3 BRUINS 2 FINAL

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
not sure Backes even in his prime was an "impact player". I think he`s a guy who was regarded as an excellent player in a league that, at that time, didn`t flow as it does now so he didn`t look to be too far behind the speed of the game.

Injuries, health setbacks and concussions have he and his game virtually useless now with the odd game here and there where he looks good

I do not now who can get Pasta And Marshy going. Maybe an elite guy like Bergy is the only one, weird how Riley Nash was good with them. He had speed and was relentless. Marshy is off his game with how the league is clamping down on him. It looks like teams are defending him easily, with his cutbacks and no Bergy there as a bumper. Pasta is out on his side every couple games doing his thing but is not getting a guy with him at pace to help him either. Sad as we tried everyone and nothing works. I am sure the Organization is baffled an praying that Bergy is ok as we all are.

Reactions: pgm16

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Leafs no, Sabres, I`ll bet you will not be in the playoff picture , lost 4 straight.

I`ll say it here and now, the Bruins will be fine, this sucks right now and this team is impossible to watch they are so boring but I watched this same scenario play out last year, gonna stick to my guns and say they will be ok
I keep reminding myself about last year also. This stuff happens, just hang on to a playoff spot.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
A third pairing D is going to net you a top 6 winger? What are the add ons to that package?

I also think, given his age and skills, I’m not giving up Griz for a so so forward. He’s an underrated asset when it comes to breaking out of his own zone.
Read my post, “and others”. Could be any number of players, but Grizz is a good start to get the forward they need. They have lots of dmen who are capable of breaking out of their zone. You have to give to get, thus the reason to move Grizz, his offence is limited and plenty of LD coming up behind him that can do what he does and more.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Read my post, “and others”. Could be any number of players, but Grizz is a good start to get the forward they need. They have lots of dmen who are capable of breaking out of their zone. You have to give to get, thus the reason to move Grizz, his offence is limited and plenty of LD coming up behind him that can do what he does and more.

I guess what I’m saying is that you yourself are sort of downplaying Grizz’s value. So if his contributions are what they are, and he is what you say, what are the pieces being added to get this top 6 winger? Certainly it must be a lot more considering the difference in value between that winger and Grizz. Just asking what your ideas are there?

I understand the hesitation, but even if you may net a bit more of a loss to the team trading Krug as opposed to Griz, what you get back seems like it could be exponentially higher given Krug’s track record and experience. And the fact that he’s still not the oldest guy, but is still considered a vet. As you said, “they have lots of Dmen who are capable of breaking out of their own zone”, so why would we not look to trade one with a far higher perceived value that lets us keep other important pieces in place?

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I do not now who can get Pasta And Marshy going. Maybe an elite guy like Bergy is the only one, weird how Riley Nash was good with them. He had speed and was relentless. Marshy is off his game with how the league is clamping down on him. It looks like teams are defending him easily, with his cutbacks and no Bergy there as a bumper. Pasta is out on his side every couple games doing his thing but is not getting a guy with him at pace to help him either. Sad as we tried everyone and nothing works. I am sure the Organization is baffled an praying that Bergy is ok as we all are.

There’s no chemistry on the first line without Bergeron. One thing Bergy does is always keep the puck moving. It’s a lot of “one man show” stuff with Pastrnak and Marchand not having a real top line center. It doesn’t work in today’s NHL. Not with how well coached teams are defensively. You’ve got to get the D out of position and the only way you can do that is with quick puck movement in all three zones.

Finesse individual moves may be visually appealing, and at times effective, but it doesn’t bring you consistent results against good teams.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I mean Pasta is kind of "going", he has 7 points in the 9 games without Bergy, could easily have more but he's been stoned on 3? breakaways with great saves.

Marchand isn't really going at all though, he isn't able to establish a cycle game at all with Cave.

The problem is that no one else is contributing offensively right now, it's actually just Pasta.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
At least have one line scoring move move Krejci up to the first line
They have been trying that,but they just don’t seem to have any kind of chemistry,or maybe because it makes the second line so bad,Cassidy doesn’t want to stick with it.

Reactions: Emerz

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
+ lines 3 and 4 having another 1 or 2 blackholes as well lol

Yesterday these where the Bottom two lines:

Heinen-Kuraly-Backes
Donato-JFK-Acciari

Heinen is in a big sophomore slump. Talent is there but zero production right now.
JFK has been the best of this group yesterday. The Cave experiment has to end. Not working. Give him that spot.
Donato has a great shot and talent. Also in a scoring slump.
Backes is playing better as of late but the game is going fast for him.
Kuraly is fast but tunnel vision and no hands.
Acciari is a lost cause. He has the same number of NHL goals than Senyshyn this year. Waive him.

Reactions: Estlin and Emerz

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I guess what I’m saying is that you yourself are sort of downplaying Grizz’s value. So if his contributions are what they are, and he is what you say, what are the pieces being added to get this top 6 winger? Certainly it must be a lot more considering the difference in value between that winger and Grizz. Just asking what your ideas are there?

I understand the hesitation, but even if you may net a bit more of a loss to the team trading Krug as opposed to Griz, what you get back seems like it could be exponentially higher given Krug’s track record and experience. And the fact that he’s still not the oldest guy, but is still considered a vet. As you said, “they have lots of Dmen who are capable of breaking out of their own zone”, so why would we not look to trade one with a far higher perceived value that lets us keep other important pieces in place?
With your logic let’s package Bergy and Krejci, their value should bring in lots, can’t trade Grizz because the team will definitely miss those four career goals. The pieces you add are draft pick or prospect, not to difficult.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Lets stop kidding ourselves. Even if we squeak into the wild card; this team is done in round one. Its time to do a rebuild and get some decent young talent and rebuild the core.

We already know Tukka cant win the big game and our vets are tired with high mileage.

The sad thing is Sweeny and company dont have the know how or guts to do what needs to be done.

So we're stuck in mediocrity.
Your blending in just right.

Reactions: Dr Hook

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
That is why we signed Backes to be an impact center man but he faded fast. There is an outside chance Bergy could be done for the year. So maybe they are waiting to see of he needs surgery or not. If he does well then tank for Hughes. No way we replace him all year, thought Krech would be the guy to take over the top line but he is not. Better hope Bergy can avoid surgery, he is the only hope.
Backes was not signed to be a center on this club.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
With your logic let’s package Bergy and Krejci, their value should bring in lots, can’t trade Grizz because the team will definitely miss those four career goals. The pieces you add are draft pick or prospect, not to difficult.

So what I’m actually saying is that I feel the value difference on the trade market between Krug and Griz is more than their actual difference in effectiveness on this team.

I’m not sure you’re actually attempting to understand my point (I already know you don’t agree with it), but hopefully that makes it a little clearer since the “logic” you define as mine could not be further from how I actually view things.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
So what I’m actually saying is that I feel the value difference on the trade market between Krug and Griz is more than their actual difference in effectiveness on this team.

I’m not sure you’re actually attempting to understand my point (I already know you don’t agree with it), but hopefully that makes it a little clearer since the “logic” you define as mine could not be further from how I actually view things.
I wonder who is actually worth more in a trade, it probably depends on the team. Both are really valuable to the team but for different reasons, Krug is certainly the more dangerous offensively, while Griz is perhaps the most well rounded or versatile of our D, save McAvoy.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I wonder who is actually worth more in a trade, it probably depends on the team. Both are really valuable to the team but for different reasons, Krug is certainly the more dangerous offensively, while Griz is perhaps the most well rounded or versatile of our D, save McAvoy.

Yeah, maybe it’s more of a toss up than I think.

I just feel like there may be a chance that Griz isn’t well-know among GM’s as far as what he brings to the table and there isn’t much more than his stat line to go off of. Perhaps I am underselling other general managers, but Griz isn’t far removed from often being a healthy scratch.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Yeah, maybe it’s more of a toss up than I think.

I just feel like there may be a chance that Griz isn’t well-know among GM’s as far as what he brings to the table and there isn’t much more than his stat line to go off of. Perhaps I am underselling other general managers, but Griz isn’t far removed from often being a healthy scratch.
I know what you mean but at this point he has established himself pretty well, shown he can be effective on a PP, as well as play important defensive minutes. Beyond that he is only going to cost 1.4 mil next year and is still a RFA when that is up. Last year at this point I don't know that anyone would have valued him very high, but at this point he is proven and every team has scouts that have seen him more than once. There was a rumor going around last deadline there was a lot of interest in him, I'm sure that has only gone up.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Lets stop kidding ourselves. Even if we squeak into the wild card; this team is done in round one. Its time to do a rebuild and get some decent young talent and rebuild the core.

We already know Tukka cant win the big game and our vets are tired with high mileage.

The sad thing is Sweeny and company dont have the know how or guts to do what needs to be done.

So we're stuck in mediocrity.

Ah a newer account. Limited posts. Same takes as the winners of HFboards. Lucky us.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

I hear what you are saying but can’t really agree. Krug brings more to the team on the ice than Grizz. If he didn’t Cassidy wouldn’t use Krug on the PP over Grizz nor would he give Krug more minutes than Grizz on average per game.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Can't send Backes to Prov- he has an NMC unless he agreed to go, and why would he? Heinen could maybe use a week or two of confidence building down there, though. It seemed to help Donato a little. Bjork was sent down, so I think the willingness is there at least in some cases. Acciari needs to be sent down for Anton Blidh, at least for a time also. I'd rather see Clifton in the lineup than Steven Kampfer FFS!

Cassidy has been putting Krejci with Marchand and Pasta at times in games, but with Bergeron out, I don't see why they don't just make that a line for the time being. "Spreading the scoring out" is a great theory except now we are getting next to nothing.

I can't believe Clifton got sent down instead of Kampfer :facepalm:

Reactions: Dr Hook

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I hear what you are saying but can’t really agree. Krug brings more to the team on the ice than Grizz. If he didn’t Cassidy wouldn’t use Krug on the PP over Grizz nor would he give Krug more minutes than Grizz on average per game.

So, I think all-around, you may be right. But as you said yourself, we have (we didn’t before) a number of Dmen who can move the puck and chip in on offense. If we need to move a piece like Krug to get that top 6 winger, without giving up much of anything else, I am at least considering it.

You’re going to have to give to get. And hey, if moving Griz is an option to get that same top 6 winger, I’m all for that as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad