Pre-Game Talk: Game 23 - THE BEAR visits Uniondale one last time...(unless) - 3/9 - 7:07 PM - NESN, TVAS, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Definitely nervous about this one. B's can't score and the Isles play better team defense than the Devils.

I've been wondering if all our injuries on the backend have the forwards overly focused on back checking at the expense of applying forechecking pressure and being aggressive to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Earlier the season, our D were pinching like crazy to help the forwards keep the puck in and we were dominating zone time. I feel like we've seen that disappear in favor of neutral zone trapping, conservative team defense, and IMO that's probably why a lot of the goals are drying up. Averaging 2.33 goals per game since Tahoe, and that number is inflated by the spirited effort in the Wilson hit game.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Look no matter what anybody says we are no sure fire playoff team. We played New Jersey 4 times but what happened we only managed a shootout win and lord only knows what will transpire with Buffalo. We are missing some defenseman due to injuries but we are not talking the likes of Hedman, Keith or let's say McAvoy. Everybody has injuries and have had Covid issues at some time. The defense and goaltending has been decent almost all of the time.

Bottom line is we are like 25th in GF which is just not good enough. So we played a few less games than most we are still in trouble. Should the Isles score first, Bruins will be in trouble as they will play their heavy checking game. Their 4th line is a true hard nosed unit who chip in offensively and really do what is required.

Going to be a tough 34 games to watch if some additional consistent scoring does not transpire.

They are 4-5-1 in their last 10 and 0 for 12 on the PP in the last 6 games which is not a recipe for success.
We are 18th in goals for per games played. Expecting a deep playoff run while being in the bottom half of the league in scoring isn't gonna work.

I think this team definitely takes nights off when they get comfortable in the standings. They basically came out and said they don't care about seeding in the playoff bubble, which is why we saw such crappy efforts in the round robin, and I speculate that might be what's happening now. They jumped out to a strong 1st place start, got complacent, and are trying to coast into the playoffs. Losing mentality for sure. This team can light up the scoreboard without any trade help if they want to, but they have to find the aggression they had in their game to start the season.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The B's are losing too may players to injury. I hope Tuukka is OK.

Who is on D tonight and I hope Steve Kampfer is one of the D man.
Injury bug is probably going to keep biting with as many games as they have crammed in the next few weeks. :confused:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If they miss the playoffs there WILL be a massive shakeup and that includes Charlie.

Ownership is distracted right now as the Hub on Causeway has become an albatross that won't be fixed until foot traffic at North Station returns to where it was a year ago. Commuter rail passengers are down 90% and without that traffic the Hub can not sustain itself.

Now I really wished they had fixed the ice when they said they were going to. Who knows when that will happen now?

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The B's are losing too may players to injury. I hope Tuukka is OK.

Who is on D tonight and I hope Steve Kampfer is one of the D man.

Injuries, not to beat a dead horse but this is why it is so important not to lose to the Devils because the team played 20 minutes.

Islander are tough. So aren't the Bruins

Go Bruins

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
We are 18th in goals for per games played. Expecting a deep playoff run while being in the bottom half of the league in scoring isn't gonna work.

I think this team definitely takes nights off when they get comfortable in the standings. They basically came out and said they don't care about seeding in the playoff bubble, which is why we saw such crappy efforts in the round robin, and I speculate that might be what's happening now. They jumped out to a strong 1st place start, got complacent, and are trying to coast into the playoffs. Losing mentality for sure. This team can light up the scoreboard without any trade help if they want to, but they have to find the aggression they had in their game to start the season.
I beg to differ that the current roster has enough firepower as we all know they haven't for years. They have never secured a true top 2 RW for the second line. We bring in Craig Smith who scores a few goals and now Debrusk has completely disappeared. I believe that the Kadri hit on Debrusk has completely sidelined his career and the future does not look good.

As is, we need to try a play with a lead as catch up is not our forte.

Reactions: BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I beg to differ that the current roster has enough firepower as we all know they haven't for years. They have never secured a true top 2 RW for the second line. We bring in Craig Smith who scores a few goals and now Debrusk has completely disappeared. I believe that the Kadri hit on Debrusk has completely sidelined his career and the future does not look good.

As is, we need to try a play with a lead as catch up is not our forte.

Really?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
13 wins.

Came from behind in 6 of them.

It has been impressive for sure. That said, I don'tknow if it is sustainable long term- the old adage is 'come from behind hockey is losing hockey." I'd prefer they score early and often :). But not too early, because it seems like when they get a fast goal they go into relax mode.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It has been impressive for sure. That said, I don'tknow if it is sustainable long term- the old adage is 'come from behind hockey is losing hockey." I'd prefer they score early and often :). But not too early, because it seems like when they get a fast goal they go into relax mode.

True.

But is that really different from any other team?

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Three games this year that I would say the Bruins dominated the opponent. Two against Philly and the last one with Washington because of the Tom Wilson hit. Otherwise, this team has been fortunate to win many games. Six from come backs and many that they needed to rely on great goaltending. Hoping Tuukka isn't out for very long.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Three games this year that I would say the Bruins dominated the opponent. Two against Philly and the last one with Washington because of the Tom Wilson hit. Otherwise, this team has been fortunate to win many games. Six from come backs and many that they needed to rely on great goaltending. Hoping Tuukka isn't out for very long.
I totally agree, they were very lucky in many of those games. Now that teams have settled in most of these comebacks have disappeared.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
It's the same offense that scored 5 goals vs Washington just the other night. IMO it is a mental thing with these guys.
But 3 of those came from the top line, 1 from another top scorer in Richie. So Frederick was really the only secondary scoring.
Krechji, Bjork, DeBrusk, Coyle, Wags, Stud, Smith these guys need to score and they are not. Imagine the record if these guys each had 4 or 5 goals.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't believe Kuraly is back in the line up :facepalm:
Bruce was itching for some Kuraly.
source.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad