GDT: Game 23 - Avs @ Preds LOL 6:00pm MT - Rock Paper Sissons

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Dio's Holy Diver must be on infite loop during breaks next time the Preds play againts at Avs in Pepsi Center. Guys were flopping like there's no tomorrow. Luckily tonight the refs did the right thing and let those Preds flop without calling penalties to Avs. Next time the refs could start calling the interference and holding penalties, but flops not getting called was a nice start anyways.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Good to see Jost reward with points for his good games lately. Even though he wasn't scoring before the injury, he was such an important piece defensively. I want that 2nd line to become the kids' line, they play so well together on the PP. We have points in 8 straight and have played only 9 games out of 24 at home, yet still hold the 2nd place in the conference and could get only a point behind Nashville if we win tonight. And to think that next year we could add Makar, Bowers, a hopefully fully healed Timmins, Meloche, Kaut, two first rounders and 5 top 93 picks in the draft is insane.

All in all a great win, that would've been a curb stomping had it not been for Rinne.

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So, if Nashville fails to be a Cup candidate again this year, will the refs finally start calling them for the constant dives?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Great to see Jost getting his game going.

Nate with the deuce. love it. I've moved the Avs up to favorite in any playoff series involving the Jets or Wild, despite the W against the Preds, I still don't see the Avs coming out of a 7 game series if it's an Avs v Preds 1st.rd. matchup. but it changes week to week.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Deserved win and a great game. I don't like the lines Bednar put together for this game but I think it was a good decision to scratch Kamenev and Dries this time. Nemeth-Barberio pairing was difficult to watch at times but probably did an acceptable job all things considered.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'm still skeptical about our contender status this season, but damn is this fun. Never know what can happen when a team gets on a roll.
It all really comes down to the top line. I'm sure Poile is sitting puckered in his office right now at the thought of a playoff series with MacKinnon-Landeskog-Rantanen abusing his top-5 defence.

Zadorov back to 20+ minutes last night, and looking much more comfortable. I like him paired with Cole, they can be pretty reliable in the defensive zone, and still make plays in the offensive zone. Games like this always make me think Z has a chance to develop into what we all hoped EJ would. Zadorov has that extra edge to his demeanour that Johnson just never had. It's a fearlessness and confidence that can really make him stand out in a game. Johnson has gotten into a habit of avoiding hits, and rarely ever throwing them. Zadorov is also much better balanced and stronger. If the kinks iron out, I think he will be higher level than what Johnson got to.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I've been watching Hughes lately, and I'm honestly not impressed. He's small and plays even smaller. Byfuglien could pick him up and toss him over the glass. I'm serious.

He is nearly 2p/GP tho
Not impressed by Hughes either , and for the same reasons

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It all really comes down to the top line. I'm sure Poile is sitting puckered in his office right now at the thought of a playoff series with MacKinnon-Landeskog-Rantanen abusing his top-5 defence.

Zadorov back to 20+ minutes last night, and looking much more comfortable. I like him paired with Cole, they can be pretty reliable in the defensive zone, and still make plays in the offensive zone. Games like this always make me think Z has a chance to develop into what we all hoped EJ would. Zadorov has that extra edge to his demeanour that Johnson just never had. It's a fearlessness and confidence that can really make him stand out in a game. Johnson has gotten into a habit of avoiding hits, and rarely ever throwing them. Zadorov is also much better balanced and stronger. If the kinks iron out, I think he will be higher level than what Johnson got to.

Getting to a higher level than EJ did would be hard, he was a legit #2. If he gets there, f***ing fantastic. This probably isn't the place for it but honestly should we keep the D we have today, I'd rather protect Barrie/Girard/Zadorov in the upcoming expansion draft than EJ, as much as I like him.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Getting to a higher level than EJ did would be hard, he was a legit #2. If he gets there, ****ing fantastic. This probably isn't the place for it but honestly should we keep the D we have today, I'd rather protect Barrie/Girard/Zadorov in the upcoming expansion draft than EJ, as much as I like him.
And the Avs should think the same way as well. I mean he was a good player for us during the dark times, but you have to think about the future. If and when Ty gets signed you'll probably have those three guys you'll want to protect and not EJ.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Getting to a higher level than EJ did would be hard, he was a legit #2. If he gets there, ****ing fantastic. This probably isn't the place for it but honestly should we keep the D we have today, I'd rather protect Barrie/Girard/Zadorov in the upcoming expansion draft than EJ, as much as I like him.
I agree, but we saw last year he can score, as he netted 8 (including playoffs). EJ is usually good for 10-12. I think Z is a much better passer on the breakout, as he doesn't just fire missiles at players sticks. He is much better physically, and I'd argue his wing span and mobility is better against quick players. Like I said, the kinks will need to be worked out, but if he earns the coaching staff trust he should easily be able to become a big minute defenceman capable of going up against any line.

At the end of the day, there was basically two EJs. One capable of being a reliable 25 minute defenceman with next to no scoring, and one capable of rushing the puck and making you slide to the edge of your seat. They never showed up at the same time though.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Unbelievable heart to win this game.

Absolutely love Jost getting the GWG to break the almost 3 year regular season losing streak to the Preds.

Varly was immense. Going to be a tough decision in a few months.
Not gonna be a tough decision just sign him

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I agree, but we saw last year he can score, as he netted 8 (including playoffs). EJ is usually good for 10-12. I think Z is a much better passer on the breakout, as he doesn't just fire missiles at players sticks. He is much better physically, and I'd argue his wing span and mobility is better against quick players. Like I said, the kinks will need to be worked out, but if he earns the coaching staff trust he should easily be able to become a big minute defenceman capable of going up against any line.

At the end of the day, there was basically two EJs. One capable of being a reliable 25 minute defenceman with next to no scoring, and one capable of rushing the puck and making you slide to the edge of your seat. They never showed up at the same time though.

And both of those EJs are becoming more uncommon. He's been a horse for us for so long, but with all our young defenders now + upcoming ones, looking to move on from EJ instead of Barrie should be the plan. Sure we have Makar and Girard, but we also have Zadorov, Cole, Meloche, hopefully Timmins, so we have sets of young defenders that could potentially go into the roles of EJ/Barrie. But replacing solid defense is a lot easier than replacing an elite point producing Dman.

Ideally he would just shift down the lineup but with an expansion draft coming up in the next ~2 years a decision will have to be made.

Reactions: Avs71

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
A solid win and its just amazing the record the Avs have without Barrie in the lineup. I don't understand how the Avs have had such a great record these past 2 years without him ?:sarcasm:

In all seriousness keeping him would be a luxury and if EJ keeps playing poorly who knows .

Please waive Barberio and Nemeth and trade for a better bottom pair guy at the deadline.

And please resign Varly before he makes it to free agency

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really don't think anybody would take on EJ's contract and give real value back... IMO ride it out until it becomes an issue. If he won't waive the NMC for the expansion draft, or if the cap hit becomes a burden, buy him out then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad