GDT: Game 2 // Oilers @ Bruins // Oct 11 @ 5 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McLellan strikes me as someone who couldn't give two squirts about some overstated "media blowback" from a line combination he tried during a practice. As stubborn as he is, he'll do what he'll do and will care little about what some bloggers say about it.

Todd has been a media darling here. Even last season when things were sideways he never got asked the tough questions. It seems that some people are coming to the realization that it's not just the GM that has left a lot to be desired. Anyone that watched preseason could see that Jesse is ready for a big step forward if given the opportunity.

Reactions: PulYou

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don’t think that.
Can’t deny that this board loves selectively calling out posters that were wrong though. If coach is as bad as people say then a lot of posters were very wrong about that hire.

Hey, guilty as charged there. Does that help? :P

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Todd has been a media darling here. Even last season when things were sideways he never got asked the tough questions. It seems that some people are coming to the realization that it's not just the GM that has left a lot to be desired. Anyone that watched preseason could see that Jesse is ready for a big step forward if given the opportunity.
When has the GM been asked tough questions? The Edmonton media should form a softball club.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't know if I fall into the camp you describe here since I definitely think Chiarelli is a bigger problem than McLellan and also don't think this decision was media driven, but I don't see why it's such a crime to adjust your opinion on the coach as time goes on. I was very happy with McLellan's hiring and would now prefer to have him turfed/wanted him gone after last season.

To zero in on some specific coaching issues I have - do you disagree with any of the below?

1. The lines, particularly lines 2-4 (especially stapling Lucic to Draisaitl) make no sense.
2. The powerplay continues to be run incomprehensibly stupidly. WHY ARE WE STILL RUNNING 5 RIGHT SHOTS FROM THE WRONG HALF WALL ON PP1?
3. Puljujarvi seems to be one of the only players being held to a very high standard of accountability (I suspect you disagree here but I figure I should mention it)
4. The team seems to be coached to push more dump and coach and ring the puck up the boards, particularly the defence.
5. The team seemed to completely lack any sort of jump or hustle in game 1. (Arguable if this is coaching or not, IMO it is if this continues to be a problem over say, 5-10 games).

All five of those points were problems for 82 games last season. New assistants but the same donkey is pulling the cart. If anything the coaching strategy looks worse than last year. Coaches had all summer to review tape, evaluate and gameplan.

Looks like the game plan is whatever we saw in game 1, and then to demote Puljujarvi in practice.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
All five of those points were problems for 82 games last season. New assistants but the same donkey is pulling the cart. If anything the coaching strategy looks worse than last year. Coaches had all summer to review tape, evaluate and gameplan.

Looks like the game plan is whatever we saw in game 1, and then to demote Puljujarvi in practice.
Almost like shuffling deck chairs on the McTitanic.

Reactions: nabob

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
In the mid- to late-2000s, all the cool kids wore flannel shirts, skinny jeans, high top shoes, and slouchy hats. The cool kids don't wear those anymore. Todd is a former cool kid who doesn't realize he's no longer cool.

In other words, his take on hockey in the NHL is out of date.

EDIT: Todd had one of the first man-buns, but he still has it.

Reactions: PulYou and Duke74

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like the pairings. Russell with Bouchard. Maybe I'd like to see Garrison get a crack.

Nurse and Benning was once great(edit: more like decent). Benning might step up, but our patience must be limited

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
In the mid- to late-2000s, all the cool kids wore flannel shirts, skinny jeans, high top shoes, and slouchy hats. The cool kids don't wear those anymore. Todd is a former cool kid who doesn't realize he's no longer cool.

In other words, his take on hockey in the NHL is out of date.
He's in good company on the Oilers.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If there was ever a must win second game of the season... this is it. Do it Oilers.

That is why there is never a must win in the second game of the season. :)

Oil will slay the Bruins tonight... McD be sleeping on a bearskin rug by the end of the night.

I have no idea what that means.

I suppose if you want to break down the season into fifteen blocks of five games and one block of seven games, they need at least six points out of each block of five games. This would give them 90 points and they would need 6-10 points out of the final block of seven games to make the playoffs, with 96-98 being a probable wildcard team and 100 plus a top 3 divisional team.

NJ- L
Bos-
NY R-
Wpg-
Bos-

Need to win three of the next four.

Three out of the next four ain't happening. It's early, no need to panic but facts is facts.

Best case they split with Boston and get the Rangers game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad