GDT: Game 2 // Oilers @ Bruins // Oct 11 @ 5 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
It reeks of pushing the panic button to me.

Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi was our 2nd best line together in the preseason. They get 1 game together before they're split up. Yeah.......

Trust me it was brought up here, you just didn't see it. I wonder if the blowback from the media actually made him put the two back together?

I am guessing the blowback from the media could have some impact on the line decisions for today.

I am also guessing that Todd was not happy to do this, because of the threats he made today: "There's a number of players that are on notice..."

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Just hoping for the Oilers to look like a NHL team that gives a shit, some Mcpoints would be awesome so Mathews doesn’t get to big a head start on him. Also Talbot please stop the first shot...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Trust me it was brought up here, you just didn't see it. I wonder if the blowback from the media actually made him put the two back together?

That’s what I was going to say.

Did he switch up the top line? How about Drai’s line?

Even if it was just shuffling up the lines tonsend a message the only move that he really made was to demote Jesse for a practice. What kind of message does that send?

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am guessing the blowback from the media could have some impact on the line decisions for today.

I am also guessing that Todd was not happy to do this, because of the threats he made today: "There's a number of players that are on notice..."
Struds pretty much said this yesterday. The team isn't happy with the bottom six and the coaching staff is trying to send a message. Not the first time a team has done this in practice. TM wants this team running on all cylinders and doesn't want guys half assing it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Struds pretty much said this yesterday. The team isn't happy with the bottom six and the coaching staff is trying to send a message. Not the first time a team has done this in practice. TM wants this team running on all cylinders and doesn't want guys half assing it.

So why not shuffle the 2nd line that hasn't done anything in several games or the top PP unit that has a hard time even gaining the zone or the Nurse-Benning pairing that was a disaster?

It's fine that he wants to send a message. It's just that he only sends messages to certain players while others get a free pass.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

The second line sucked in Game One and for large swaths of the preseason, but sure, let's tinker with the bottom 6. Priorities!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I suppose if you want to break down the season into fifteen blocks of five games and one block of seven games, they need at least six points out of each block of five games. This would give them 90 points and they would need 6-10 points out of the final block of seven games to make the playoffs, with 96-98 being a probable wildcard team and 100 plus a top 3 divisional team.

NJ- L
Bos-
NY R-
Wpg-
Bos-

Need to win three of the next four.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So why not shuffle the 2nd line that hasn't done anything in several games or the top PP unit that has a hard time even gaining the zone or the Nurse-Benning pairing that was a disaster?

It's fine that he wants to send a message. It's just that he only sends messages to certain players while others get a free pass.
Because skilled players always have been given a longer leash.

This isn't exactly new in the NHL

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

McLellan strikes me as someone who couldn't give two squirts about some overstated "media blowback" from a line combination he tried during a practice. As stubborn as he is, he'll do what he'll do and will care little about what some bloggers say about it.

Reactions: harpoon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Because skilled players always have been given a longer leash.

This isn't exactly new in the NHL

Puljujarvi isn't a skilled player? What has Yamamoto done to earn a longer leash?
Benning is a skilled player?

It's BS that Mclellan singles out the bottom 6 as the issue when the 2nd line has been consistently subpar throughout preseason and Game 1, the PP has been atrocious and the 2nd pairing even worse than atrocious.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
About damn time we had a game. That last one against Jersey Left me with ZERO optimism for this year. The team was outplayed in all aspects of the game and looked TOO SLOW to be a true playoff contender. The same way they looked last year, at this point I'm pretty sure the Oilers just are what they are, not that good. But I hope and pray that they show up tonight like a brand new team.... but odds are low.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
McLellan strikes me as someone who couldn't give two squirts about some overstated "media blowback" from a line combination he tried during a practice. As stubborn as he is, he'll do what he'll do and will care little about what some bloggers say about it.
Exactly. ‘Blowback’ is a laughable way to characterize anything the timid Edmonton msm says anyway. Some posters are just working overtime on the theory that the coach is the biggest problem in town. Same guys who loved him when he was hired mind you. Kinda funny.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. ‘Blowback’ is a laughable way to characterize anything the timid Edmonton msm says anyway. Some posters are just working overtime on the theory that the coach is the biggest problem in town. Same guys who loved him when he was hired mind you. Kinda funny.
Cause you can't not like someone after you have liked him before?

Kind of funny how you think opinions can't change

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I don't know if I fall into the camp you describe here since I definitely think Chiarelli is a bigger problem than McLellan and also don't think this decision was media driven, but I don't see why it's such a crime to adjust your opinion on the coach as time goes on. I was very happy with McLellan's hiring and would now prefer to have him turfed/wanted him gone after last season.

To zero in on some specific coaching issues I have - do you disagree with any of the below?

1. The lines, particularly lines 2-4 (especially stapling Lucic to Draisaitl) make no sense.
2. The powerplay continues to be run incomprehensibly stupidly. WHY ARE WE STILL RUNNING 5 RIGHT SHOTS FROM THE WRONG HALF WALL ON PP1?
3. Puljujarvi seems to be one of the only players being held to a very high standard of accountability (I suspect you disagree here but I figure I should mention it)
4. The team seems to be coached to push more dump and chase and ring the puck up the boards, particularly the defence.
5. The team seemed to completely lack any sort of jump or hustle in game 1. (Arguable if this is coaching or not, IMO it is if this continues to be a problem over say, 5-10 games).

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Fury

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Kind of funny how you think opinions can't change
I don’t think that.
Can’t deny that this board loves selectively calling out posters that were wrong though. If coach is as bad as people say then a lot of posters were very wrong about that hire.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad