GDT: Game 2 // Oilers @ Bruins // Oct 11 @ 5 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brodziak is a 4th line player.. sitting him now is not a huge issue to me given that he didn't have a great preseason as well.. and especially since I don't mind Khaira as a center.
Especially considering he's suppose to be a leader. Message needs to be sent to him.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah. I'd prefer something like this:

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Yamamoto
Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

is more optimal IMO. Lucic and Drai just don't work.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Listening to Nielsen now, he's absolutely spot on about the Puljujarvi lineup placement and echoes all of our concerns and why it makes no sense. It's a really good listen.

He also touched on something that I don't believe was mentioned. Mclellan went on an on about Puljujarvi wanting to play with Strome and it being important that they develop chemistry and familiarity then proceeds to break them up after one game. It defies all logic. They are dicking this kid around and it really sucks.

Edit: I see that they are pairing Strome and Puljujarvi so why the f*** would he practice other lines then? I don't get it.

Reactions: PulYou

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Halak in net too. He has been good for the Bruins so far.

well crap. my optimism of an oiler win was contingent on having Rask in net.

well, let's see what happens and how many oilers are dialed in. like everyone else, I just want to see effort. (and talbot stopping the first friggin shot)

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Brodziak sitting is ridiculous unless he's banged up. He's a veteran you just signed to be your best shutdown centre, and he scored 30 points last season. He's also supposed to be a leader on the team and your best faceoff guy. Maybe give him a few games to get a feel for the team?

wasn't he complaining that the jet lag wiped him out?
do you want him out there half assing it because he's too tired?

probably a good idea to sit him tonight.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Cags over Brodz? Whatever Toddy.

Nurse - Benning will be eaten alive. Especially Benning against Marchand, Krejci, Pastrnak on the road.

All I'm hoping for is goals/assists from the non-McDavid line so we can at least build some offensive confidence in the regular season. Goals against be damned!

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Listening to Nielsen now, he's absolutely spot on about the Puljujarvi lineup placement and echoes all of our concerns and why it makes no sense. It's a really good listen.

He also touched on something that I don't believe was mentioned. Mclellan went on an on about Puljujarvi wanting to play with Strome and it being important that they develop chemistry and familiarity then proceeds to break them up after one game. It defies all logic. They are dicking this kid around and it really sucks.

Edit: I see that they are pairing Strome and Puljujarvi so why the **** would he practice other lines then? I don't get it.
8. Oilersnation and Twitter were up in arms yesterday because Puljujarvi practiced on a line with Khaira and Caggiula. I tweeted out that from past experience I wouldn’t put too much stock in line combos the day before a game, especially after many days of practice. Strome and Puljujarvi have practiced together for a month, so one 40 minute practice, with about ten minutes of line rushes, won’t suddenly ruin their chemistry. Some times a coach tweaks things in practice to keep players sharp. Too much of the same can be mundane at times. It also can be a subtle message to not get too comfortable. I don’t see it as a major deal. Yesterday many wanted McLellan fired because of switching a line in practice. I think four days off between games is no good for anyone including media, players, coaches and the fans.

Reactions: Gord

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Here's hoping they can get a well deserved win. Not one of those how the hell did we win ones!

And if we lose hopefully it's a how the hell did we lose loss.

If we look like we did against Jersey again.... RED f***ING ALERT

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm happier that he's reunited Strome and Puljujarvi, whatever the reason for those practice lines were. At the very least leave that pair you gave so much credit to in pre-season together for a bit. Don't like seeing Caggiula there but hey, he has hustle at least?

To be honest I've cooled off enough that I am returning more to apathy/acceptance levels for the Oilers rather than annoyance. Hope we pummel the Bruins, but I won't be surprised if the team really goes off the rails.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just don't quite understand why you would mess around with lines in practice, after 1 game, and then go back to basically the same lineup? To screw with people? Send a message?

It reeks of pushing the panic button to me.

Cause why practice with the lines you want to play with? Just try it in game time when you have only played once this year, can't hurt right?

Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi was our 2nd best line together in the preseason. They get 1 game together before they're split up. Yeah.......

Edit: I see that they are pairing Strome and Puljujarvi so why the **** would he practice other lines then? I don't get it.

Trust me it was brought up here, you just didn't see it. I wonder if the blowback from the media actually made him put the two back together?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
8. Oilersnation and Twitter were up in arms yesterday because Puljujarvi practiced on a line with Khaira and Caggiula. I tweeted out that from past experience I wouldn’t put too much stock in line combos the day before a game, especially after many days of practice. Strome and Puljujarvi have practiced together for a month, so one 40 minute practice, with about ten minutes of line rushes, won’t suddenly ruin their chemistry. Some times a coach tweaks things in practice to keep players sharp. Too much of the same can be mundane at times. It also can be a subtle message to not get too comfortable. I don’t see it as a major deal. Yesterday many wanted McLellan fired because of switching a line in practice. I think four days off between games is no good for anyone including media, players, coaches and the fans.

Much of the same can be mundane? It's been 1 game. I still don't get it.

I wonder if they try different PP combinations in practice (like maybe Pulju or Bouchard on the top unit for at least a second) because much of the same can be mundane.
Eh, probably not.

Anyway, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. Hopefully, they are up to the task tonight because if not, its going to get really ugly really quick. At least look competitive, I don't expect a win but at least give something positive to build on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad