Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs vs Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
I just think he was a lot better than people are giving him credits. He made some good plays in the Ozone and made that pass to AM in the slot.
Marner was invisible even with the puck.
Hyman was not good.
JT was quiet.
Agree with your post and your analysis in the 1st game but unfortunately little 5foot nothing Brendan Gallagher from a team I loathe has more grit and determination than most of our forwards

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
oh,just looking at point totals

some may never learn
You wouldn't find any NHL executive who thinks PLD is better than Matthews, Tavares, or Marner. Better asset due to his contract? Maybe, but not player.

Do you think PLD is better than Matthews? No? Didn't think so, and if you did I'm sorry you're wrong. Literally that isn't even a matter of opinion.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You wouldn't find any NHL executive who thinks PLD is better than Matthews, Tavares, or Marner. Better asset due to his contract? Maybe, but not player.

Do you think PLD is better than Matthews? No? Didn't think so, and if you did I'm sorry you're wrong. Literally that isn't even a matter of opinion.

Obviously, but for some it's fun to try out such nonsense after a disappointing loss I suppose.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Great at talking the talk

No kidding.

Surely they realize it really doesn't matter what they say at this point. Your play is going to tell the fans everything they need to know whether or not you care about actually care to play more hockey or to resume summer fun ASAP.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Marner's got every right to be confident in this situation. He's been in many press conferences in situations where his team is in trouble, and he's no stranger to these questions.

So he has every right to be confident with his on ice situation because he’s been in many press conferences. OK

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
Well, Marleau is available at $6.25 million. That worked out well. Good call. Pay more for what you have done and won't ever be able to do again.

Too bad we can't fix......

Where did I say anything about Marleau? That signing was a disaster and I feel his lingering loser mentality is probably contributing to the poor culture around this team.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
They weren't "toast" last game though, which is my point. They lost on a bad goal. Andy didn't keep them in it, but they didn't dominate either.

They lost a close game on a bad goal.
I mean he most certainly kept them in it. A team that averaged 3.5 goals per game this year put up 0. It was a bad goal but he also made at least 1 crazy save.

As long as he keeps them under 3-4 the remainder of the series we still have a really good shot.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Game #2 of the 19-20 season we played Columbus in their barn. Marner had a big game with 2 goals and an assist and had this to say post-game:

''That's what I worked a lot on this summer, getting the puck in my hands and getting the shot off quicker, not holding onto it and making pretty plays,'' Marner said. ''Just try getting it to the net.''

Where has this been since October 2nd, 2019 then Mitch? All season long he was just making pretty plays and often just failing at anything else.

He has to get back to being himself and not overthinking. Make the right plays and give it your all. Need a huge game from his line.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Hopefully Matthews saw McDavid put Edmonton on his back and is inspired to do the same.
This. Leafs played a decent game as a group in game 1. Now they just need a superstar performance out of their superstar, and Columbus has no answer to that. Somebody just be elite, that’s what separates us from them.

Reactions: The Cobra

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Once again teams have gotten 4 to 6 PPs in the qualifiers games yesterday. Penalties were called in these games (again) that were let go in game 1. I hope that's going to change, because getting 1 PP in 60 minutes is ridiculous.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
You have to earn them. Playing passive perimeter hockey doesn’t do that.
Have you seen some of those calls? It's not player passiveness, it was referee passiveness. I've seen calls in the Hawks/Oilers and Pens/Habs games that were clearly let go in our game. When every qualifier teams are getting PPs each more than both teams combined had in our game, you know where the passiveness lies.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Have you seen some of those calls? It's not player passiveness, it was referee passiveness. I've seen calls in the Hawks/Oilers and Pens/Habs games that were clearly let go in our game. When every qualifier teams are getting PPs each more than both teams combined had in our game, you know where the passiveness lies.

Not once last game did I think the referees missed a call. Sure there were plenty of things they could have called, but nothing that they should have.

As I have said before, if you want the referees to call everything that includes the Leafs. Call everything by the book and Nylander and Hyman both land in the box at the 0:02 mark. Sure glad the referees did their job there !

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Not once last game did I think the referees missed a call. Sure there were plenty of things they could have called, but nothing that they should have.

As I have said before, if you want the referees to call everything that includes the Leafs. Call everything by the book and Nylander and Hyman both land in the box at the 0:02 mark. Sure glad the referees did their job there !

Then call them. But I remember Matthews got tripped neutral zone, Kerfoot got checked from behind. There were others I don't remember but these are the two that were easy obvious calls that got ignored because the refs want to manage the game. If they get 5 PPs and we get 4, I'm ok with it. But not calling them at all is annoying. Other teams are getting PPs, as a team whose PP is one of their strength the refs are not doing them favours by letting it all go. Should the leafs work hard and be more aggressive, yes. But lets not act this is a player issue when other teams are getting WAY MORE penalties called on plays that happened in game 1. They shouldn't call these games under a different set of rules.

Reactions: Advanced stats

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Only problem is Matthews isn't playing against the Blackhawks and his team isn't getting 4-5 PPs a game.
That's another thing that irritates me. If we had the same refs that Montreal-Pittsburgh or Edmonton-Chicago had, we'd have 5 or 7 powerplants in game 1. Hopefully that changes tonight, but I doubt it...refs are scared of torts.

...not that our power play is clicking along by any means.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
By 7 PM tonight I'm going to know everything I need to know about this team.

Do they want to be winners by playing winning hockey or don't they? Find a way to get it done. They have a lot to prove. Their words. Guys who make star and superstar money need to be difference makers in this game. If they can't what are we even doing with this core?

If Freddy allows 1 goal I'm taking that 11 times out of 10. Find a way to score 2. Winning hockey is battling for every loose puck. You want more powerplays? Work harder. Initiate more. Get under guy's skins. Get in the officials ears. Be vocal. Be engaged. Maybe....and I know it's asking a lot - somebody dare I say - GET MAD OUT THERE!!! Bring the passion. Fight through those moments where it's not going your way and impose your will on your opponent!

I'm confident we will see their best game out there this afternoon. This is going to be a hotly contested series. I just want to see the leaders lead, the stars turn up the intensity to 11 because what I saw in game 1 isn't going to cut it. Not even close!

LET'S GO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Joufreau
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad