Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs vs Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The problem is this team rarely seems to click on all cylinders at the same time, especially during important games.

If the Matthews’ line is going, the Tavares line is off, vice versa. If we scored a bunch of goals then Andersen usually let’s in a bunch too. Andersen plays a good game overall, we can’t score a goal.

Figure it out, leafs.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
They should tell that to the refs in literally every other series then, because they clearly did not get that message.

problem is, I'm watching the other series. Teams are playing harder, more physical, with more intensity.

penalties are being generated through the intensity.

there is a reason the Leafs don't generate as many penalties. If we played harder, with more intensity, we would generate more penalties, like the other games.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nobody said he needs to be scared but a few solid hits when you are not expecting it can make you double check your surroundings.

I would not put Clifford in the top 9, but perhaps they'll give him a few shifts on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Kapanen.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Except that they did counter those tactics, but failed to convert on the chances they created after beating them. Is the combined result of the Mikheyev + Robertson + Matthews x 3 grade A chances going to be zero goals most nights?

Really? You thought the Leafs successfully countered the Jackets smothering defence and checking but were just unlucky because the 3 good chances they had all game didn't go in?

Ok, that's looking at the bright side, hope you're right.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I would not put Clifford in the top 9, but perhaps they'll give him a few shifts on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Kapanen.

Yea I don't care who it is but someone needs to help out our franchise center when he is getting treated like a pinata in the corner all night.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Really? You thought the Leafs successfully countered the Jackets smothering defence and checking but were just unlucky because the 3 good chances they had all game didn't go in?

Five great chances, that on any given night if they didn't put one single additional puck on net would normally yield 1-2 goals. It wasn't a great game by any stretch, or IMO near this teams best, but if anyone thinks that Tort's is watching that tape thinking "wow we completely smothered them, Korpi did nothing for that shutout" rather than keying in how how we were able to break them down for 5 grade A looks and trying to figure out a way to prevent it because he knows that game could just as easily been out of reach in the early 2nd I have a bridge to sell.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
so, in other words, it was called like the playoffs have been called for the last 50 years.
If those style of plays were never called you wouldnt have seen Columbus get a penalty for a player basically trying to squeeze between two players.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

it's not much of a stretch to say that the game could have easily been a 1-1 overtime game with the chances at both ends. The difference was our goalie let in the softy, not theirs. But that wasn't the true issue anyway, our offense didn't get it done at the end of the day.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
problem is, I'm watching the other series. Teams are playing harder, more physical, with more intensity.

there is a reason the Leafs don't generate as many penalties. If we played harder, with more intensity, we would generate more penalties, like the other games.
then why isn't Columbus drawing more penalties? People have been raving about how much intensity Columbus plays with. That has nothing to do with it

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The problem is this team rarely seems to click on all cylinders at the same time, especially during important games.

If the Matthews’ line is going, the Tavares line is off, vice versa. If we scored a bunch of goals then Andersen usually let’s in a bunch too. Andersen plays a good game overall, we can’t score a goal.

Figure it out, leafs.

Then you watch a team like the Hawks in their prime. When the games get important, Toews and Kane become major difference makers every time. f***, I remember Kane scoring 9 points in the final 3 games against the Kings and had the Hawks rally from 3-1 down. I'd love to think Marner could do something like that, but that's pure fantasy.

then why isn't Columbus drawing more penalties? People have been raving about how much intensity Columbus plays with. That has nothing to do with it
Good to see Canadian Finn back in action. Last time I remembered seeing him on here he was telling me the team was going to get worse or stay the same at best when Keefe replaced Babcock.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well it does a little bit. I am not talking about having 10+ penalties that are happening in some of these games due to both teams taking a lot of stupid penalties, but there have been some games that had less intensity than ours and they had 2-3x more penalties in their games than ours.

It's not like I am even saying it should only be the Leafs... It should just be in general. 3 PP's is low for any game... Usually there is at least 5 or 6 legitimate calls that could/should be made in a game, with it usually being split pretty even.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer

they aren't playing with "that " much more intensity.

just compared to our intensity, it looks like "that much more".

our game last night was the lowest intensity game of any I've watched...by far.

Leafs of 2020 I guess.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Noodles brought up something I noticed last night. Nylanders hair was dry last night. I'd trade him for a Dman, but Dubas promised he wouldn't trade him, one of the dumbest things ever...

I want to see this team play hard and gritty.. yeah right

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
they aren't playing with "that " much more intensity.

just compared to our intensity, it looks like "that much more".

our game last night was the lowest intensity game of any I've watched...by far.

Leafs of 2020 I guess.
maybe you just aren't the authority you seem to believe at measuring how hard teams play?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
CBJ used an aggressive forecheck to hem the Leafs in their zone.....no surprise, we all knew it was coming
CBJ clogged the neutral zone to slow the Leafs down.......no surprise, we all knew it was coming
CBJ collapsed in the D zone to take away both the shooting and passing lanes...no surprise, we all knew it was coming

The Leafs, after knowing who there opponent would be for weeks, and knowing exactly what tactics their opponent would employ, were still unable to use their supposedly far superior skill to devise and execute game plan to counter these tactics.......anyone surprised?

We're a one trick pony. If you stop the Leafs from using there speed and skill effectively you've won the game. Now that's easier said than done, but the Blue Jackets did it last game. This team isn't a team that can grind out dirty playoff like wins. At least, I haven't seen any indication they can.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We're a one trick pony. If you stop the Leafs from using there speed and skill effectively you've won the game. Now that's easier said than done, but the Blue Jackets did it last game. This team isn't a team that can grind out dirty playoff like wins. At least, I haven't seen any indication they can.
Does a 1-0 loss on a bad goal give you more or less hope they can grind out a playoff win?

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
If Willie gets in a fight, some here will still think he is soft
One handed stick checks and fly by's in play off games nope thats not soft. Boston play off series he avoided going near the boards to be 1st on loose pucks I saw him literally bail on and is invisible when needed the most in post season because the physical game increases dramatically. He is a talented skilled hockey player but he is Kessel like when it comes to avoiding getting hit to make the play. I am not a hater and so many others see the same traits, this team will go no where with only one bonifide defense man in Reilly and players who are NOT willing to make that sacrifice to make that play to win.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

It's true. Watching the Canucks & Wild game right afterwards I was blown away. Holy playoff hockey! Just downright hatred from the word go. We need that intensity

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad