Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs vs Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
oh man just realized this is pretty much a game 7.

If we lose this one, check what we have to do:

- win 3 in a row
- win both games of a back to back
- win 3 games in 4 nights

I like to be optimistic but....the odds of that are probably in the area of 0.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It's concerning. They're saying "we have more to give" post-game but not a single shot in the last 6+ minutes in game 1? Why not give more THEN?

Because this is when they resort to this individualistic skill nonsense rather than just getting down to some hard teamwork. Its been a problem for some time with this group. Also, CBJ were just sitting back a clogging every hole... so they boys are going to have to buckle down.

Agree with previous poster that first goal vs this opponent is seemingly more important that normal.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Marshy

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Is this an update or just your hope?
My hope. Ceci has been terrible since day one and he's a liability out there. 2 penalties for Leafs and he got both of them. He contributes nothing to the offence and is not responsible defensively. I miss Hainsey.

Reactions: Cobra777

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anybody else worried that this team mailed it in after Andy gave them the lead on a softie ??

A soft goal has a deflating factor to the rest of the team by nature.

However you could see the fear (or anxiety) in the Leafs players eyes when that goal went in and they knew they had to generate enough offense to now beat Korpisalo 2 X times to win game #1, where they hadn't created many changes.

The team didn't or couldn't even muster a single shot on net in the last 6 1/2 minutes of the game, and that Atkinson goal played a part in that as it seemed to impact them and their composure.

Reactions: ToneDog

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yup. When I think of big 4th line C I think of guys like Brian Boyle and Joel Otto. What purpose does a soft 6'5" 4th line C serve? I honestly don't understand unless you are intentionally trying to build the softest forward group possible.

Can we not have one mean player with size? No? Ok then play 4 skill lines. Double down on skill then.

You dont have to be mean to play the game tough. Brian Bickell, patrik maroon are not very tough but they play the game tough

It comes down to culture of the team. We just don't have that culture from top down.

You think Rod Brind Amour allows him to play like that ? I bet you any money GOAT in Boston is a different player, in Vegas he will hit because everyone around him will hit.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
A couple of (perhaps unpopular) thoughts:

1. If Babcock didn't give enough playing time to the stars, the pendulum has swung too much with Keefe.

24 minutes is way too much, and at the end of the game the top two lines were visibly exhausted. Playing that much also ends up causing guys to play at a slower pace, which isn't exactly ideal.

I don't know if this is "the plan", or if Keefe didn't want to play the 4th line because they got hemmed in their own zone. Maybe with Engvall back he'll play them more? He will need to get more from his bench.

2. Multiple times the Leafs were in CLB zone, a ML forward drops to the point, slides the puck over to the defensman who then takes a back angle shot at the goalie.

At best its a low percentage shot. At worst, it's a chance for a counter-attack (like the time Barrie took the shot from the side boards and CLB got a 2-1).

They can't settle zone time with such a bad result. Better to keep the puck down low until you can generate a shot near the net.

Hope for a better result but Keefe needs to make some serious adjustments.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
You dont have to be mean to play the game tough. Brian Bickell, patrik maroon are not very tough but they play the game tough

It comes down to culture of the team. We just don't have that culture from top down.

You think Rod Brind Amour allows him to play like that ? I bet you any money GOAT in Boston is a different player, in Vegas he will hit because everyone around him will hit.

GOAT has no defined role on this team. In and out the lineup.

To say he "gets away" with stuff here is false. If that is true why isn't he a regular? If he wants to be a regular, he knows what he needs to do.

GOAT just doesn't have it. He's not going to magically have it just because he plays for Boston.

Reactions: fahad203 and qqaz

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
oh man just realized this is pretty much a game 7.

If we lose this one, check what we have to do:

- win 3 in a row
- win both games of a back to back
- win 3 games in 4 nights

I like to be optimistic but....the odds of that are probably in the area of 0.

The chance of winning the series in that scenario are 13%. Not good, but not 0. Let's hope we can avoid it.

My prediction for tonight is that we score a couple in the 1st, and then win a hard fought 4-3 game. I expect Marner to be back with Matthews at some point.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The chance of winning the series in that scenario are 13%. Not good, but not 0. Let's hope we can avoid it.

My prediction for tonight is that we score a couple in the 1st, and then win a hard fought 4-3 game. I expect Marner to be back with Matthews at some point.

Do these odds take into account the back to back and 3 games in 4 nights though? Or just going down 2-0?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I think down 2-0 in a best of 5 is much lower than 13%. Maybe in a best of 7 the odds are that "good".

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
Never understood why they ran with Ceci in the lineup, never owed him anything,not very good, shouldn't be coming back next year.
Ignoring D is not ok Reilly has never had a solid partner, or bottom 6 needs players that work harder.
This season has been a waste of time playing ppl who don't fit our are just a body filling space.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Very even game 1 decided by goaltenders ... their guy made his 2 10 bellers and ALL da normal regular saves ... our guy made his 2 10 bellers and MISSED 1 house league shot ... it is da reality of playoff hockey ... but we still have to score to win so bottom line it is not all on Freddy ... when Matty and Kerfoot are our only 2 guys who showed up to WIN it becomes very difficult ...

We need to shake things up and do things differently or else we can expect same result going forward...

Move Dermy with Rielly and tell Holl he has 1 more game to show he belongs on shut down pair with Muzzy ... exit Ceci and enter sandin ... Ceci does not give a sh*t ... either does Barrie but maybe we can get a nice play from him with his hands ... it is clear they both know and are playing like they are gone already

Up front get Mitch away from Tavares ASAP ... Tavares needs 2 big fast guys who can hound puck for him on forecheck and he will get some greasy goals for us in front of net ... Hyman and Mik likely best 2 we got right now ... we need 2 or 3 from JT ... he will lead us in game 2

Move Mitch to 3rd line and hope it helps him playing with Kerfoot's speed ... I doubt it but it is worth a shot

Get Matty some help in trenches ... move Clifford up with him and CBJ's core d will watch their step and open up some ice for Matty ... and if Willy does not up his game and play harder then swap with Kappy

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Game 1 was pretty boring and dull, just the way Columbus wants it. All the team needs is a bit of skill to shine through, and the tides will turn.

Jones and Werenski can't play 40 minutes, so one of our top 2 lines is going to have chances. The top of this roster is too good to get totally shut-out again. So I think the floodgates break today.

I believe the players on this team are good enough to win.

Something that's consistently missed when talking about game1 is that we shut down their scoring, too. Only one goal from them, and very few dangerous chances overall. Our team D was fine, and the goaltending was good. That's the half of the game we're normally worried about. I think the scoring is just a matter of time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Very even game 1 decided by goaltenders ... their guy made his 2 10 bellers and ALL da normal regular saves ... our guy made his 2 10 bellers and MISSED 1 house league shot ... it is da reality of playoff hockey ... but we still have to score to win so bottom line it is not all on Freddy ... when Matty and Kerfoot are our only 2 guys who showed up to WIN it becomes very difficult ...

We need to shake things up and do things differently or else we can expect same result going forward...

Move Dermy with Rielly and tell Holl he has 1 more game to show he belongs on shut down pair with Muzzy ... exit Ceci and enter sandin ... Ceci does not give a sh*t ... either does Barrie but maybe we can get a nice play from him with his hands ... it is clear they both know and are playing like they are gone already

Up front get Mitch away from Tavares ASAP ... Tavares needs 2 big fast guys who can hound puck for him on forecheck and he will get some greasy goals for us in front of net ... Hyman and Mik likely best 2 we got right now ... we need 2 or 3 from JT ... he will lead us in game 2

Move Mitch to 3rd line and hope it helps him playing with Kerfoot's speed ... I doubt it but it is worth a shot

Get Matty some help in trenches ... move Clifford up with him and CBJ's core d will watch their step and open up some ice for Matty ... and if Willy does not up his game and play harder then swap with Kappy

Now is not the time to panic. Stick with what got you here. They stood pat at the TDL after the Aye embarassment indicating they knew this team was not good enough. Let it ride. If we lose we get a 12.5% shot at winning the lottery.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agree to a degree, I thought they came out strong in game 1 vs Bruins last year although the Bruins allowed the Leafs to play their game. They folded in game #2 when the Bruins brought out their sandpaper. Played a great game #5 and then folded like a cheap suitcase in games 6 and 7.

Some media people labelled this series, will vs skill. Until this core wins a series, their "will" will always be questioned.

I refuse to take seriously some label conjured up by the Toronto sports media.

Reactions: kb

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Game 1 was pretty boring and dull, just the way Columbus wants it. All the team needs is a bit of skill to shine through, and the tides will turn.

Jones and Werenski can't play 40 minutes, so one of our top 2 lines is going to have chances. The top of this roster is too good to get totally shut-out again. So I think the floodgates break today.

I believe the players on this team are good enough to win.

Something that's consistently missed when talking about game1 is that we shut down their scoring, too. Only one goal from them, and very few dangerous chances overall. Our team D was fine, and the goaltending was good. That's the half of the game we're normally worried about. I think the scoring is just a matter of time.

What amazes me that Jones who is not Shea Weber or Stevens pushing Matthews around and lack of response by Keefe or Leafs

That's their best D. Hit him and hit him hard. I Thought that's why we got Clifford. Even Kapanen has to hit him or get in his face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->